Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2006 Lancer Evo IX MR or 2007 Sti Limited

Old 10-22-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 2006 Lancer Evo IX MR or 2007 Sti Limited

Im getting the new wheels this week but Im cut in half. I need the advice of the best so of course I ask here in S2ki, The price is within a $1000 difference so its not a factor to me, now I love the Subys interior but hate the exterior and love the Evos exterior but hate the interior, performance between the two is so close but I guess the real difference is the ownership of one of this machines. Which one would you buy and why?

Note: Looking to modify it but not extreme horsepower just moderate.

For now Evo has the styling and the Suby has the Hardware IMO.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go with the IX, but I'm biased. If you're looking to get the best bang for your buck in terms of mods then go with the IX for sure. If you like really good steering response then the IX gets another point. I got a IX with the SSL package, so the interior was plenty nice for me, but they don't have that for the MR's.

Why do you want an MR anyway? Are you planning on tracking the car? From what I've experienced all you really get is a 6 speed and a slightly better suspension for a whole lot more cost. The difference in performance is negligible and is only apparent when pushing the car to its very limits, which is impossible on the streets and very difficult on the track. It might be a better idea to save the $$$$ and get a GSR unless you plan on competing as stock and really think you can make use of the slight differences.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:20 PM

I would wait for the EvoX next year and whatever Subaru comes out with to match it.

Assuming that is not an option... I personally chose the STi, partially because I couldn't stand the interior on the Evo at the time, but they have improved that somewhat w/ the new seats. Have you driven both? Compared to the STi, the lack of low-end torque in the Evo was a real disappointment. But then the Evo has a definite edge over the STi in handling.

If you want an easily modded track monster, get the Evo.
If you want a daily driver, get the STi. (remember no cruise in the Evo...)

Of course you can mod either to make up for their relative weaknesses.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:28 PM

My eyes burn of how much reading I''ve done and I still can't make up my mind. Can I fused them together? This is goign to be tough but I will post the pics of my final decision very soon.

Note: Im keeping the S2000 no matter what for those wondering. Couldn't sleep at night without it.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:45 AM

Well, both cars are amazing bone stock, fresh out of the showroom floor. Subie seems a little mor torquier, where as the Evo seems more quiet refined in a way. Looks, well, for the money you are going to spend, the Subie seems more of a $30K+ price car than the EVO, since you specified the "Limited STI" rather than the regular STI. Now you want to mod it, but not go crazy? Well, parts for the EVO's platform have been out for a while, you know the 4G...Platform has been out for a while, Galant VR4, Eclipse....
Now reliability, I will take the Subie over the DSM. I have my reasons.
I don't know, but I would take the "Limited" for the money, both cars are pretty close to each other in performance. If I had to get one, I get the STI Limited.

By the way, I'm a former STI owner, and I had 2 other subies before that one, including a WRX, and a 1991 Impreza 4dr.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:50 AM

They are so close. It really just comes down to driver preference. Do you want a car with a nice leather interior and a moonroof and cruise control and a normal spolier? Or do you want something more purely performance oriented with a big-ass wing? Sit in both. Test drive both. Choose the one that suits you best.

I drove both. I did not care for the STi front seats, styling, or throttle-by wire. I went with the Evolution because it's more rare and just had more soul.

I picked up a new Lancer Evolution IX SE a few weeks ago. It has all the best goodies from the MR model without the weak 6spd tranny. and it costs about $3500 less than the MR.

Oh, another deciding factor for me was the warranty since the Evo's is FAR superior to what Subaru offers. But if you plan on modding either car, warranty does not really matter because the dealer will probably void it anyway...

Andrew
Old 10-23-2006, 06:52 AM

Yeah you need that warranty on that DSM, cause is not as reliable as the Subie............lol
Old 10-23-2006, 07:26 AM

^^^ Well, first of all, a Lancer Evolution is not a "DSM." The Evo is a 100% Mitsubishi engineered product, made in Japan with 100% Japanese parts content.

Secondly, I did a LOT of research and reading over the past 3 years on these cars. I've wanted to get either the STi or the Evo ever since they both came to the US. Stock vs stock, both the Evo and the STi are both pretty reliable cars. I have seen no evidence, either statistical or anectdotal, that would suggest that one has any significant reliablity advantage over the other. Each has its own common problems and week spots in stock form. But there is nothing that would tip the balance either way in mind mind in favor of one over the other.

Now when you start talking about MODDED STis and Evos, now you start talking about purely anectdotal evidence about reliablity. And again, I don't think either one has any major edge. Each has its strong points and weak links. With both the STi and the Evo, you will see a significant reduction in overall reliablity when you start adding mods.

Andrew
Old 10-23-2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Diablo99V,Oct 22 2006, 06:24 PM
Im getting the new wheels this week but Im cut in half. I need the advice of the best so of course I ask here in S2ki, The price is within a $1000 difference so its not a factor to me, now I love the Subys interior but hate the exterior and love the Evos exterior but hate the interior, performance between the two is so close but I guess the real difference is the ownership of one of this machines. Which one would you buy and why?

Note: Looking to modify it but not extreme horsepower just moderate.

For now Evo has the styling and the Suby has the Hardware IMO.
I picked up a new Evo9 SE with the Buschur Racing BR350 package and could not be happier. Buy the Evo9 SE and put 1,200 bucks into the warrtlon/buschur package and you WILL have 330awhp. Its crazy fast!

EVO!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:07 AM

If you are going to track your car much stay away from the MR and get the normal IX or the STI. The 6 speed is a lot less robust then the 5 speed.

Quick Reply: 2006 Lancer Evo IX MR or 2007 Sti Limited