Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2006 civic si 200hp, brembo due in oct 05

Old 05-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,May 27 2005, 07:58 AM
I love the way that people automatically assume that just because a brake caliper has the word "Brembo" emblazoned on it, that it must superior to another non-branded brake caliper of nearly identical design and construction...

Honda has sold lots of car with amazing brakes in the past 10 years or so. And only one I know of (6spd Acura TL), has "Brembo" brakes. And guess what? The TL's Brembos ain't so great - 70-0 in 189ft, according to Car and Driver. Compare that to some examples of non-Brembo Hondas: TSX 70-0 in 185ft, RL 70-0 in 180ft, Prelude 70-0 in 182ft, S2000 70-0 in 157ft, etc

Andrew
True. But I have several friends who own Spec-V's. A couple of them have the brembo's and there is a noticable difference. At least on the street and autox. Haven't had a chance to get them on the track though.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the show car didn't even have an interior, saw it with at the NYC autoshow.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:09 AM

I thought the strength of the Brembos lies more in the lack of fading from heat buildup than sheer stopping power.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:26 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bo_Vien,May 27 2005, 09:09 AM
I thought the strength of the Brembos lies more in the lack of fading from heat buildup than sheer stopping power.
On the spec v I noticed a more "initial bite". That could have been due to better brake pads for all I know. I don't want to get into a discussion about brake systems, since I really don't know all that much, but if there were an option for the S2000 that included A) bigger brakes (better for heat/brake fade) or B)2 piston calipers (or more), regardless of whether or not they are called Brembos or not, I would get them.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lice Locket,May 27 2005, 05:25 AM
Not much. For the Brembo brakes comment, I think there's a chance it'll happen. Reason being is that the cost of Civics are moving up and up (remember when they used to cost under 10k?), and seem to be taking up the Accord spot, whereas the Accord is the top of the line Honda. I mean, the new Honda Fit is coming, which I think will take over the cheap-Honda line of cars.
on the vtec.net forums, a member named "chris_5758" who claims to work on vehicle assembly claims no brembo brakes... his info seems pretty legit too.

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...sage_id=240622

"All I can say is, amazing looking car!. Good bye new Jetta. VW is going out of business!

Correction, built two, 2 door Civic Si coupes, both 6 speed manuals. One Canadian, one American.

The Canadian Si had rear drum brakes, and a 1.8 engine. Listen carefully! On the engine block it said R18A1. Both cars had XM sat ready radios. Auto climate control. rear suspension is different then current Civic. The shock and coil are separate components now. I had a chance to measure the shifter throw. It came out to 5". Measured from tip of the shifter rod (without the knob) and ran the shifter from 3rd to 4th gear. Tires are P215/45R17. Sorry the exhaust is NOT integrated into the bumper. Standard exhaust pipe. The American Si engine was 2.0 (same series R engine) with a big ass straight alloy intake (like on the S2000) going straight into the head. No bends on that intake! Saw no port injectors. Assume new direct fuel injection. Gas peddel is hinged at the floor. Saw a neat button that allows the driver to switch between MPH or KPH. American Si gets rear disk brakes. And no there not Brembo Brakes. "
Old 05-27-2005, 08:09 AM

Thumbs down

STI and EVo owners back me up here.

How much did you pay for your last brake job (pads and rotors) at the local Subaru dealership? Was it approx $1000?

I'm just guessing here, but how would you like to own a civic and pay $1000 for a brake job?

Sw33p3R

Old 05-27-2005, 09:47 AM

Just a little side note...I work at the plant on the SUV side. Don't know if it is the same guy but someone almost got fired for writing details of the new civic on a website. He also isn't allowed to work on the new civic or even be on the assembly floor at anytime, any model
Old 05-27-2005, 10:27 AM

no reason to add brembos to a civic.......most civic buyers wouldn't need them
for those who track, they'd prolly get new pads and rotors anyways.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the kid,May 27 2005, 09:47 AM
Just a little side note...I work at the plant on the SUV side. Don't know if it is the same guy but someone almost got fired for writing details of the new civic on a website. He also isn't allowed to work on the new civic or even be on the assembly floor at anytime, any model
I saw on the news that its legal for companies to spy on all things that are typed in the company internet (this includes instant messenger!). If the guy who posted that typed all that info while he was at work (I assume so, he measured the shifter), then he'd get caught easily. That info is saved and later checked by some people.

Well, I guess no Brembos is not that bad, since it'll cost more for maintanence. Does anyone know about the limited slip? Is that yay or nay for the final version?
Old 05-27-2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lice Locket,May 27 2005, 06:28 PM
Well, I guess no Brembos is not that bad, since it'll cost more for maintanence. Does anyone know about the limited slip? Is that yay or nay for the final version?
it has been confirmed that its getting a LSD. yeah baby!!!

Quick Reply: 2006 civic si 200hp, brembo due in oct 05