Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2006 Bikes....

Old 10-14-2005, 07:55 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by freq,Oct 14 2005, 04:34 AM
Slipper clutches limit back-torque when downshifting. They do not help put power down.

Good luck using that suspension to it's full potential.

I now see that I am just repeating what others have said.

Sorry Blue, your post seriously comes off as poseurish.
Yep. I don't think any stock bike I've ever ridden had properly sorted suspension. You always need to rework the forks/shock, and most people rework the forks, and buy a shock so sag can be set properly.

but then again, poseurs needn't worry about that sort of thing
Old 10-14-2005, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Oct 14 2005, 10:37 AM
Well, I'll split his interest into two parts.

Since motorcycling is partly an emotional experience there's nothing wrong with basing your choice largely on looks. Not like he's going to pick a bad bike from any major supplier these days. So go buy what you like and enjoy it.

But thoughts like 'best handling' and 'extended swingarm' approach the "rice" end of motorcycling. Unless you're a pro on a race track you'll never be better than ANY of the current 600's and probably can't tell the difference in handling. If you ride on the street and care about performance you should be looking at the mid-range dyno plot, not the high end. So what I think most of us are saying is, don't be a ricer...
extended swing arm from the factory equals rice?? umi think not. the fact is this the R1 was prone too have horrible grip loss coming out of an apex and breaking traction and just spinning the tire, i have had this happen a few times at track days. the extra few inches on the swing arm have been put there for just that reason. to help grip on the exit of the corner. secondly a slipper clutch does help put the power down. If your coming into a turn and are having horrible chatter from your rear then you will not be able to get back on the throttle sooner and in turn your exit from the corner is compromised and you won't get a good drive out. When you have a slipper clutch all of those downsides are pretty much removed in turn getting you back on the throttle sooner , so you can carry more speed through the apex and have a better drive on your exit. So i guess i should have used my words a little better in my original post about the slipper clutch.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by BlueS2000Boy,Oct 14 2005, 02:27 PM
extended swing arm from the factory equals rice?? umi think not. the fact is this the R1 was prone too have horrible grip loss coming out of an apex and breaking traction and just spinning the tire, i have had this happen a few times at track days. the extra few inches on the swing arm have been put there for just that reason. to help grip on the exit of the corner. secondly a slipper clutch does help put the power down. If your coming into a turn and are having horrible chatter from your rear then you will not be able to get back on the throttle sooner and in turn your exit from the corner is compromised and you won't get a good drive out. When you have a slipper clutch all of those downsides are pretty much removed in turn getting you back on the throttle sooner , so you can carry more speed through the apex and have a better drive on your exit. So i guess i should have used my words a little better in my original post about the slipper clutch.
it's a lost cause man. it's pretty clear you lost credibility from all these folks from the first line in your original post. No point now trying to regain it now. So, the way I see it, you've got 2 options:

1) Admit defeat and hang your head in shame
2) Create a new user ID and start fresh

J/K...just thought I'd beat on you while you were down
Old 10-14-2005, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rice is YOU needing an extended swing arm on the street. Give it up and ... not J/K.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

penforhire, I'm guessing that you're thinking of a drag-style extended swingarm, as often found on drag-oriented bikes like Hayabusas, and more often than not chromed out. The R1's swingarm is extended 20mm for '06 for better traction, and w/o comparing I'm guessing the main frame was shortened to keep the wheelbase in the same ballpark. It's not ricey at all, but good application of racing tech. to streetbikes. But yeah, for BlueS2000Boy it's more a need to spend his parent's $$$ than for the actual benefit that it would bring for expert racers.

Literbike performance is getting so high these days that it's rarely usable on the streets, or even the track ex. by the most experienced racers.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:58 PM

Another pointless bike thread for the s2ki books...