Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2005 Acura RL

Old 10-31-2004, 09:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Oct 30 2004, 09:38 PM
The Lincoln out accelerates it -- and costs less. The BMW 530 is a dead heat.

The Mercedes, BMW and Lincoln out brake it.

The BMW has better road holding (despite the magic of SH AWD for the Honda)

The BMW and Mercedes get better fuel mileage.
Yeah, you win Fanboi !! You condemn others for magazine hypocrisy, yet you do the same thing. You amaze me, so much hate on for a car you have probably not even seen in the flesh, let alone driven. Your points are devoid of significant relevance. Just because the Lincoln's faster, does that make it better ? Fuel economy, are you serious ? The TSX finished first (by alot I might add) in the October C&D issue even though it was handily beaten in numerous categories by faster, turbocharged, AWD competition. Is there a perfect car ? One which excels (and beats it's competition) in every conceivable category, I hardly think so. The RL is not excluded. Although I have not driven the new RL, I think it is leaps and bounds ahead of the car it replaces by all accounts.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally saw an RL on the road today. Beautiful car in person
Old 10-31-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Oct 30 2004, 08:38 PM
The Lincoln out accelerates it -- and costs less. The BMW 530 is a dead heat.

The Mercedes, BMW and Lincoln out brake it.

The BMW has better road holding (despite the magic of SH AWD for the Honda)

The BMW and Mercedes get better fuel mileage.
Still hating on Acuras...

Its still by far a better all around product like most Acuras... they don
Old 10-31-2004, 07:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, overall I'd say the car is lacking. I had a chance to drive one yesterday. Anyone who has owned a V8 in this class will probably come to the same conclusion as me -- the area under the curve matters most. I don't want to have to think about acceleration when galavanting around town with my family in the car.

The RL is a car I hope Acura gets right some day -- because until then they will not be a player in this market -- which is too bad because they do build a product that has lots of quality, just no soul.

Now the ITR (another Acura I have owned despite "hating them") is a good case and point of what you describe.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:36 PM

Didn't know it's 3984lbs!!!!!

A bit overweight.

BMW 545i 37XXlbs
BMW 530i 34XXlbs

MB E500 38XXlbs
MB E320 36XXlbs

I would rather pay ~$5000 more for a BMW 530i or E320 (Unless someone really needs the AWD, then maybe the RL, but then there is always Audi). When it comes to $50K+ sedans, $5K diff in price is not really a deciding factor to most people. If the price of the RL is around $40K, then it is definitely a bargain.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:39 AM

While I really like the new RL I have to agree with Steve on this one...the car has no soul. You won't find any German competition for the price...you would be hard pressed to find a German competitor with everything the RL offers at ANY PRICE. I thought the car had good acceleration and a very nice powerband but it reminded a bit of the S2000 in the way that it just seemed to be working the motor hard...a V8 would definitely cure this. I agree that Acura did a good job of the performance vs. comfort compromise when it comes to handling but it certainly doesn't drive as nice a BMW IMO. The first thing I noticed when I got back into my M3 was that my BMW just felt like a much more solid car despite the fact that my M3 weighs several hundred pounds less.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=y2ks2k,Oct 31 2004, 06:14 PM] Still hating on Acuras...

Its still by far a better all around product like most Acuras... they don
Old 11-01-2004, 12:17 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I haven't driven a RL yet, but I can understand how maybe a high revving V6 isn't as good as a big V8. I drove a 300C with 250hp 250-TQ 3.5L V6 around the same weight and same TQ as the RL. It moved along but (to me) I was feeling the acceleration in the 4000-6000 range and not much in the 1000-4000 range.

But I have to say most 5-series and E-class etc are sold with smallish 6 cylinders. A lot of people don't care about acceleration.

Now that said it wouldn't hurt to have both V6 and V8 (optoion) for the RL for those led-foots out there.

However put it all together if it's a great car inside and drives well I think it will be a big hit.

Sure the BMW may handle better, but think about it, a doctors wife (typical BMW buyer) doesn't drive 8/10th near the limit. Not saying that's an excuse to aim low. Here on "car talk" we are more on the outside envelope we care about a few tenth of a second or few feet better braking distance.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:58 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just read the C&D review. Mostly positive.

If I was Acura I would cring a little because it mentions the ACCORD three times.

1) when talking about the Legend "...nicely dressed Accord."

2) talking about the interior room "..RL...feels-and is-only about as spacious as the plebian Accord"

3) "barely more people and trunk space than its stablemate the TL or even an Accord"

:gulp: Acura want's you to think A6 E-class 5-series etc... Not TL or Accord...

It's got good numbers except for braking (a longish 180 ft from 70mph). It's skidpad was .87G and that's with All season tires. Put some sticker rubber on it and you figure it should be better.

MSRP $49,470
curb weight 4030 lbs

0-60 6.7sec
0-100 17.1sec
1/4 mile 15.2@94mph

Brock Yates said "..tepid styling.....world class performance for a 4-door sedan, it becomes obvious that for less than $50K the RL is a hands-down winner"

Csaba Csere said "the RL's chassis is unusually responsive for 4030 lbs...But wouldn't luxury-car buyers prefer a bit more space and torque with their handling excellence?"
Old 11-08-2004, 06:55 PM
FRM

Quick Reply: 2005 Acura RL