Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2005 Acura RL

Old 09-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=FRM,Sep 8 2004, 09:02 PM] Edmunds First Drive
Old 09-09-2004, 05:27 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good article but I still don't think the new RL will be able to compete in its class, against the BMW 5 Series, Mercedes E Class and the new Audi A6.

The lack of an V8 engine and front biased AWD will hurt it. Exterior design is nothing to be excited about, but the interior is very nice. Hopefully it won't drive like the TL.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:46 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=mav,Sep 9 2004, 05:27 AM] Good article but I still don't think the new RL will be able to compete in its class, against the BMW 5 Series, Mercedes E Class and the new Audi A6.

The lack of an V8 engine and front biased AWD will hurt it.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trend in the car industry is towards increasingly blurred lines between the segments, and the new RL is a perfect example. While it will certainly fall below the expectations of badge or v8/RWD buyers, expect to see other buyers jumping up half a class from near luxury into these. It is clearly are far more competitive offering than the old RL, which was always pointless. Just the improvment in the styling alone will give it a boost.

I must say I'm disappointed to see they have adopted a mouse style interface for the nav, nothing is more intuitive than the touch screen they already have.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:11 AM

Does anyone notice the new RL's front overhang is a tag too long. The front wheels are way too close to the front doors. You can almost imagine the front engine is way in front of the front axle.

Looking from the side, it looks like an oversized Accord. Oh yeah the east-west engine placement further highlights RL's Accord heritage.

I love the old RL exterior. It is strong and yet elegant. Short front overhang (YES!).

With all this platform sharing crap, I don't think I can honestly say I like how the new RL looks.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:49 AM

Yeah the car does have a big overhang. I remember an interview with a Volvo designer though that said that a large overhang made the car safer in front end collisions instead of a small one. I guess the extra area to cushion the hit helps before it hits the front axel.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:19 PM

Mercedes, BMW, Lexus.....are able to make safe cars with short front overhang (Good looking). I can't believe Acura fail to do so.

My perfect RL is the old RL exterior combined with the new RL chasis.

Too bad Acura said no to good looking and said yes to Accord look alike.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:33 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Sep 9 2004, 09:46 AM
How can you say that? didn't you read the article? It said the RL "handled noticeaibly better than the others" -530i, E320, and A6. "The RL was more precise and able to get around the track faster." Doesn't that sound better than the TL (or any other FWD car)?
Yes I did but I don't put too much weight on what Edmunds saids about driving impressions on their car reviews. They also gave the TL high marks...

"Driving Impressions:
All TLs are entertaining to drive, thanks to their prodigious horsepower, but cars equipped with the slick-shifting six-speed manual are the most rewarding on back roads. The suspension manages to deliver both a comfortable ride and tight handling around corners. Enthusiasts will prefer the sharper reflexes and rear-drive layout of cars like the BMW 3 Series, but in stock form Acura's driving dynamics are well-balanced. Opt for the lowered suspension and bigger wheels in the A-SPEC kit and you'll have a sleeper of a sport sedan."

From http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/acura/tl/1...yvdps..5.Acura*

The new TL is anything but "well-balanced" IMO. I haven't driven the new RL, hence I said I hope it doesn't drive like the TL, not that it does.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hoth,Sep 9 2004, 03:19 PM
Mercedes, BMW, Lexus.....are able to make safe cars with short front overhang (Good looking). I can't believe Acura fail to do so.

My perfect RL is the old RL exterior combined with the new RL chasis.

Too bad Acura said no to good looking and said yes to Accord look alike.
Is there an echo in here?
Old 09-09-2004, 01:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So what does everyone think about picking one up in the first year production run?

Should we be less worried about fixes considering the SH-AWD has been in the works for 14 something years now? I like it and wouldn't mind making this my next daily driver but I can't decide if I need to wait until 2006 or not.

Quick Reply: 2005 Acura RL