Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2005 Acura RL

Old 11-30-2004, 07:41 PM
FRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LA Times Review of the
Old 12-01-2004, 04:46 AM

Its pretty funny when people on an S2000 board are saying the RL needs a V8. For all of the S2000 owners that like to brag when their little 4 banger kicks around a car with an I6, a V6, or even a V8 ... I understand the arguement though. High revving S2000 motor = fun for a sports car. High revving RL = no fun for a luxury cruiser. The RL doesn't really rev too high, but I see the arguement.

That said, I'm no market expert here ... but I'm pretty sure if you look at sales figures for the Lexus GS series, BMW 5 series, and MB E-class you'll notice one thing ... The GS300, 525/530, and the E320 models of the car far outsell their V8 equivalents. True, the V8 model is usually the one being reviewed by car mags and its probably the ones that get the buyers in the door. But, ultimately most people don't really care about the V8.

Now despite what you might think, Honda is a small company. They're not nearly as big as most car manufacturers. They pretty much produce cars on demand and can't afford to produce too many cars that have low sales figures. Additionally, they don't really produce cars with tons of options. Their cars are generally speaking pre-configured in the factory with virtually no choice. Thats especially true with Acura, where with cars like the TL and RL, you have no options. The S2000/NSX are the exceptions to this rule in terms of sales. For this reason, it doesn't make business sense to try and produce an RL with a V8 that will sell very few cars compared to the V6 model. V8s are also the opposite (at least generally speaking) of Honda's company direction, which is to produce low emissions, good gas mileage, "green" cars.

It would certainly generate a lot of positive press from car mags and make a lot of car enthusiasts happy, but Honda is looking to sell the RL to the mass public. And I think Acura has established itself well enough as a brand name that most people will still shop Acura when they're looking for a new car without the positive press (even though the RL is generally getting positive press) or car enthusiast support.

So what is driving Honda to produce a V8 in their luxury cruisers? Nothing really except to please a few car mags and some car enthusiats. Its a tough arguement to win with car enthusiasts because we would love to see Honda make a V8, but I don't think it makes business sense for Honda.

This is all just my opinion, I don't have any numbers or figures to back any of this stuff up. If you want all of that info, I'd imagine you'd need to have access to the mind of Honda Senior management who make these sorts of decisions.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:04 AM

No doubt a Honda V8 (not rushed to production but perfected like Honda does) would become a hugh hit. I wouldn't be surprised if it made 99% of all V8 engines out there look like toys. We'll just have to wait, it'll happen sometime just might be two or three more decades =)
Old 12-01-2004, 05:25 AM

Umm, while it lacks power, the Miata did this a decade earlier

The S2000 has a hell of a lot more oomph than my daily driver. I personally wouldn't call it underpowered at all. Maybe it's lacking in midrange torque, but overall it seems very well-rounded to me.

Bottom line: The RL's mission seems comparable to the TLs: offer nearly everything the next rung of luxury sport sedans offer, minus powertrain and drivetrain, for $20k less, but include Honda build quality.
That's a noble goal but the luxury market reacts differently than the lower end of the scale. And right now, Hyundai/Kia are employing this same strategy to seemingly good effect against Honda/Nissan/Toyota in the $15-30k range.

Not saying the RL is bad, but to say it's got the LS covered for $20K less is a bit of whishful thinking.
I definitely agree with this statement. I sat in a new RL last week and it is nicer than I first thought. But an LS430 it is not IMO. C&D actually rated the LS430 better than a BMW 745 and M-B S430/500 (I forget which one) several months ago. So technically the LS430 does exactly what you are saying the RL does: has everything for $20k cheaper than the competition and drives well to boot. For me the biggest selling point of the RL would be its smaller-than-LS size and the SH-AWD, but that's about it.

That's my opinion anyways.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:55 AM

BTW, when is Infiniti going to redo the Q? The sales on that rig have got to be just atrocious. I never see them around.

The Q is another Japanese Luxo-flagship that needs a shot of new thinking.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LiQiCE,Dec 1 2004, 08:46 AM
Its pretty funny when people on an S2000 board are saying the RL needs a V8. For all of the S2000 owners that like to brag when their little 4 banger kicks around a car with an I6, a V6, or even a V8 ... I understand the arguement though. High revving S2000 motor = fun for a sports car. High revving RL = no fun for a luxury cruiser. The RL doesn't really rev too high, but I see the arguement.

That said, I'm no market expert here ... but I'm pretty sure if you look at sales figures for the Lexus GS series, BMW 5 series, and MB E-class you'll notice one thing ... The GS300, 525/530, and the E320 models of the car far outsell their V8 equivalents. True, the V8 model is usually the one being reviewed by car mags and its probably the ones that get the buyers in the door. But, ultimately most people don't really care about the V8.

Now despite what you might think, Honda is a small company. They're not nearly as big as most car manufacturers. They pretty much produce cars on demand and can't afford to produce too many cars that have low sales figures. Additionally, they don't really produce cars with tons of options. Their cars are generally speaking pre-configured in the factory with virtually no choice. Thats especially true with Acura, where with cars like the TL and RL, you have no options. The S2000/NSX are the exceptions to this rule in terms of sales. For this reason, it doesn't make business sense to try and produce an RL with a V8 that will sell very few cars compared to the V6 model. V8s are also the opposite (at least generally speaking) of Honda's company direction, which is to produce low emissions, good gas mileage, "green" cars.

It would certainly generate a lot of positive press from car mags and make a lot of car enthusiasts happy, but Honda is looking to sell the RL to the mass public. And I think Acura has established itself well enough as a brand name that most people will still shop Acura when they're looking for a new car without the positive press (even though the RL is generally getting positive press) or car enthusiast support.

So what is driving Honda to produce a V8 in their luxury cruisers? Nothing really except to please a few car mags and some car enthusiats. Its a tough arguement to win with car enthusiasts because we would love to see Honda make a V8, but I don't think it makes business sense for Honda.

This is all just my opinion, I don't have any numbers or figures to back any of this stuff up. If you want all of that info, I'd imagine you'd need to have access to the mind of Honda Senior management who make these sorts of decisions.
Ummm....Honda is one of the biggest car companies in the world. German cars are not even on the list when it comes to "big car companies."
Old 12-01-2004, 09:49 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Dec 1 2004, 09:55 AM
BTW, when is Infiniti going to redo the Q? The sales on that rig have got to be just atrocious. I never see them around.

The Q is another Japanese Luxo-flagship that needs a shot of new thinking.
The Q is on its way out, replaced by the new M45.

BTW I saw the new M45 in person at the Miami Auto Show a month ago... all I can say is WOW. I don't see how the RL can compete with the new M45.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:48 AM

Mmmmm, I don't think they'll dump the Q altogether. The M45 is meant to compete directly with the BMW 5, Mercedes E and Lexus GS. The Q competes with the 7/S/LS (technically it's supposed to anyways).

I don't think Infiniti could make further inroads into the luxury market without a luxo-barge. I'd be very surprised if Infiniti truly dropped the Q wholesale.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Dec 1 2004, 01:13 PM
Ummm....Honda is one of the biggest car companies in the world. German cars are not even on the list when it comes to "big car companies."
They're a small company if you compare them to Mitsubishi, and others like them that manufacture and develop stuff other than cars. Honda makes motors, but they don't make much else.

The point I was trying to make is that Honda works economically and try to target their cars to the largest audience. Since sales figures for V6 luxury models are generally higher than their V8 counterparts, it makes sense for Honda to stick with just a V6.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice car.

Quick Reply: 2005 Acura RL