Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2005 Acura RL

Old 11-18-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 530 with auto weighs in at 3483. Divide that by 225hp and you get 15.48 pounds per horsepower. The RL is 3984lbs divided by 300hp.....which makes it 13.28 pounds per horsepower.
And yet they both run identical times in terms of acceleration.

handles MUCH better than a 530i, and a little better than a 530i with sport package.
Where do you get that? The number I have seen publised indicate otherwise -- and granted handling is more than half subjective, but my new RL experience does little to contradict the numbers. The BMW is more of a drivers car.

So who is really the pig here???
The car that weighs more than 4000 pounds. Duh.

Don't you ever get sick of being you ?
Nope, from where I sit it's pretty awesome.

Next point, not only do I NOT want stick in my daily luxo-cruiser, why anyone would get a 4 door with 37XXlbs AND an anemic 225hp engine with stick is beyond me.
Anemic or not, refer to above it is every bit as fast as the RL.

And yes, magazine times the 530i might be the same, but real world the RL is much quicker. Highway passing the RL is much faster...(I test drove the E class, 530i, and RL ) back to back, the dealerships are all in a row next to each other, on the side of a 55mph road.
Would this be the same real world that magazine testers contradict your claim?

Anyway, this defend the RL convo is moot. I am the consumer, I dont like the 530i and the E class (6 cyl models), I think they are overpriced, overhyped, as reliable as cracked windshield, and the biggest a$$hole service in the world. The RL has everything I want, at the price I want, with the best customer service I have ever had in any car my friends or myself have ever owned.
Odd then, my impression of the RL is that it is overhyped, overweight and overpriced. To this point Acura has needed to discount their cars heavily to compete with the class leaders; the RL is still a discount when compared to the Germans, but IMO not enough of a discount to justify the compromises.

All the RLs (90%) in my area have been presold. They must have done something right to get me, and a whole slew of other people to buy it.
Not gonna touch that. I have noticed lots of people make shit up to further their opinion. I am damn sure you have no clue as to sales numbers or presales in your area ... so why make shit up?

Hum lower horsepower ~ the same weight and somehow the BMW will be faster?
Lower horsepower, lower weight. Same acceleration numbers. Reading before you post would do you worlds of good.

RL being more reliable to a BMW 5 series of course it will. It's based off of historic data. Honda has proven to be a leader of reliabiliy while BMW has been going down the slope of unreliability.
Please provide some actual data. You won't.

Ive owned it since 2000 and it NEVER had any kind of problem, squeek, ratte, something lose, broke, blown, NOTHING. EVER.
You own a very rare car indeed. I drove 5 of them when looking for one; every single one rattled and/or had other issues. Refer to point above about making shit up.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, I usually think your comments have some sort of weight, and dont discount them, but since I am making shit up, you just live in a dream world, with stock in BMW.

I wish I can bet my s2000 vs. your 996TT to waste my time to prove that acura, ANY acura, is more reliable than ANY BMW. But, I wont waste my time.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:13 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe this argument is still going on...

I saw the RL in person at the Miami International Auto Show a few weekends ago. I have to admit that I am more impressed with it after I saw it in person than I initially was. It well built, very high quality. I like the looks, even though it does resemble an oversized Accord.

However I still prefer the BMW 5 Series over the new RL. IMO the RL is overpriced for being a V6, it has one V8 option, and finally the wood interior. I HATE wood, its tacky and fake. Aluminum trim is in, wood is out, at least offer aluminum trim as an option, like virtually everyone else.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real data smart ass

Look the 530 and the rl up in Consumer Reports

The rl had only two fairs for tranny while the 530 was loaded with black spots. Have fun.

You've driven every car out there, If you hate honda so much sell your crappy leather interior s2000 and get off the site.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:30 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smart ass? OK...

Well I don't look at Consumer Reports and most people don't care what Consumer Reports say, if so, everyone would be driving Toyotas.

I never said I hated Honda, that I wanted to sell my S2000 and criticized the leather in it. I love my S2000 and will never sell it, but I still prefer the 5 Series over the RL. Because I love my S2000, doesn't mean I have to blindly embrace all Honda/Acura products. Its a matter of personal preference.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:54 AM

I think aluminum trim will be "out" again really soon now that everyone is doing it. As soon as things get mainstream.... they tend to get plebian...

In my mind: wood with luxury, aluminum with sport.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by mav,Nov 19 2004, 08:30 AM
Smart ass? OK...

Well I don't look at Consumer Reports and most people don't care what Consumer Reports say, if so, everyone would be driving Toyotas.

I never said I hated Honda, that I wanted to sell my S2000 and criticized the leather in it. I love my S2000 and will never sell it, but I still prefer the 5 Series over the RL. Because I love my S2000, doesn't mean I have to blindly embrace all Honda/Acura products. Its a matter of personal preference.
I think he's talking to Steve C. And there are lots of people who own Toyota's for their reliability, value and quality.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by mav,Nov 19 2004, 03:13 AM
I have to admit that I am more impressed with it after I saw it in person than I initially was. It well built, very high quality. I like the looks, even though it does resemble an oversized Accord.
Mav,

This is a common comment on the styling of the RL. I thought the same when I saw it for myself the first time. However remember that this is still sold at the Honda Legend overseas, and ponder this: the Accord and Legend have ALWAYS looked similar! The first generation Legend looked like the '88 Accord (pop up headlights). The second generation looked similar to the the Accord of it's time. I believe they do this on purpose to generate a family resemblence between models. Same for the 5 and 7. to me this similarity is not a big deal since under the skin they are so different!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Former Moderator

Again with the v6 bullsh!t. Who cares if its a v6 if it performs on par with the rest of them. First of all, its NOT targeted towards the 8cyl model, its for the 6cyl models. It puts out MORE power than the v8s in most of the german brands, and gets better gas mileage.

And for those saying the performance between the RL, 530/525, E320 is the same....test drive them, and tell me the RL isnt a good deal faster on highway. It would flat out kill the other two 70-100+.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Again with the v6 bullsh!t. Who cares if its a v6 if it performs on par with the rest of them. First of all, its NOT targeted towards the 8cyl model, its for the 6cyl models.
Says you. Fact is they can

Quick Reply: 2005 Acura RL