Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2005 Acura RL

Old 11-08-2004, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went and looked at it with the whole family 2 weekends ago. I honestly did not see a big difference in the interior size between the RL & TL. My parents liked the RL's chrome trim, amber lights, but could not understand the massive price difference. I got to agree with them on this one. AWD, Nav., chrome trim, and amber lights are not worth $15K. These cars are just so similar in size. We adjusted the seats for a 5'9" person (me) front & back in both cars, and both had good space. We took a drive with an automatic TL (it will be for my mom) and it was a very pleasant car. The RL was very similar. If we get an Acura it will be the TL. Although compared to the E320 or 525/530 the RL does make good financial sense, and the interior is very nice. Nice rich wood textures, the leather is very soft.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:48 PM
FRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car&Driver Road Test

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...5&page_number=4
Old 11-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review. I drove it and loved it. I drove the 6 cylinder 5 series and E class, and just couldnt justify the huge price difference (equally equipped)

I love everything about the car, so Ill have it next month.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:58 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Nov 13 2004, 12:31 AM
Nice review. I drove it and loved it. I drove the 6 cylinder 5 series and E class, and just couldnt justify the huge price difference (equally equipped)

I love everything about the car, so Ill have it next month.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't get it. I price out 530's with similar options (even some you can't get on the RL like active cruise control) and it comes out around 53 (I'm sure a dealer would go 2-3k off MSRP).

If you can afford a 50k RL why is 53k suddenly overpriced?
Old 11-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new RL is a tiny bit bland in style, but it's a pretty nice car overall. I wouldn't mind having one for sure. Strike that! I'd like myself a luxury hybrid.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Nov 13 2004, 06:47 PM
I don't get it. I price out 530's with similar options (even some you can't get on the RL like active cruise control) and it comes out around 53 (I'm sure a dealer would go 2-3k off MSRP).

If you can afford a 50k RL why is 53k suddenly overpriced?
I do. Many people these days will overlook perceived image for undeniably superior reliability.

I just priced out a 530 with similar options and I'm at $61,165 and that's WITHOUT active cruise control.
I wonder how we're coming up with such a large difference?

Also, why exactly are we using a clearly underpowered 530 with 225hp as a comparison?
Old 11-13-2004, 04:22 PM

I do. Many people these days will overlook perceived image for undeniably superior reliability.
The RL has been out for a month and it has UNDENIABLY better reliability? Please. Put down the anti-domestic drum. Usually your beating it just makes you look uninformed, in this case it makes you look dumb.

I just priced out a 530 with similar options and I'm at $61,165 and that's WITHOUT active cruise control.
I wonder how we're coming up with such a large difference?
You are doing something wrong.

Also, why exactly are we using a clearly underpowered 530 with 225hp as a comparison?
Despite having 225hp the BMW 530 is in a dead heat with the RL in terms of acceleration. Why is that? Could be the fact that the RL is a 4000+ pound pig ...
Old 11-13-2004, 04:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Nov 13 2004, 07:22 PM
The RL has been out for a month and it has UNDENIABLY better reliability? Please. Put down the anti-domestic drum.

You are doing something wrong.

Despite having 225hp the BMW 530 is in a dead heat with the RL in terms of acceleration. Why is that? Could be the fact that the RL is a 4000+ pound pig ...
Thanks but I don't have an anti-domestic drum. I owned a Z28 prior to my S2000. Regardless, how this relates to an attempted discussion concerning two imports can only be rationalized in your quite unique world and mind. Anyone that has been here longer than a year will clearly agree that you are just ever so slightly biased towards p-cars and/or german makes in general.

Oh yeah...I forgot for a second that I'm actually talking to steve c. Your opinion is almost always correct, you're all knowing, and you never make mistakes so by logical deduction I must be doing something wrong.

I could care less about the weight with regards to luxo-barges that I wouldn't even consider owning in the first place. If you want to sit here and beat your private little drum that somehow magically while being a Honda product the RL is too new to fit in to its reliability legacy then you go right ahead.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:36 PM

I could care less about the weight with regards to luxo-barges that I wouldn't even consider owning in the first place.
And yet you care to spew incorrect information regarding the acceleration of the two cars -- simply assuming that lower horsepower means the BMW is slower. You also care to pass off your assumption that the RL will be more reliable as fact based on zero actual data.

The only thing I am biased about is correcting stupidity with fact.

Quick Reply: 2005 Acura RL