Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2004 RX-8 for $14,500 or 2001 S2000 for $14,800?

Old 05-09-2007, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

s2k, but I would spring the extra cash and get the 02.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:09 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacques79,May 8 2007, 09:40 PM
I'm sorry but you cannot state that an RX-8 is a more reliable car than an S2000.

I'm one of the RX-8's biggest fans and LOVE that car but it's build quality and reliability is not the same level as the S2K's.

Look at consumer satisfaction on different websites like edmunds and epinions for people who have had both cars over 3+ years.

True, the RX-8 isn't as bad as people say, but the S2000 is above-average reliability wise, especially for a sports car.
Yes, I would not say an RX-8 is more reliable than an S2000. People need to provide reason to their arguments though - like you did with citing Edmunds, etc - instead of making blanket statements that have little value. Things like "stupid problems" can be anything on any car.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned both. Night and day difference in quality. The RX-8 was a fun car but I was ecstatic the day I sold it!!
Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 PM

Good buddy had an RX8. 3 blown engines, 2 blown clutches, and a blown Diff later.... And this was all stock. He drives hard, but his GS400 is over 100k now, and has never broken anything. His M3 has proven to be bullet proof as well.

If you like driving hard, I'd stay way from the RX8. From what I've seen, the mechanical reliability is attrocious. Mazda's support is also quite lacking. After the third blown engine, they voided his warranty because the tires were down to 6/32nds..

If you want a rotary equivalent to the S2K, I'd look for an FD3.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChuckV,May 9 2007, 02:18 PM
Good buddy had an RX8. 3 blown engines, 2 blown clutches, and a blown Diff later.... And this was all stock.

If you want a rotary equivalent to the S2K, I'd look for an FD3.
Your buddy must have been brutalizing the car. The RX-8 is currently one of the most popular SCCA Stock class autocross cars out there. I personally know at least a dozen people who run them every weekend, including in Pro Solos (read: drag launches). Of all those people, over all the years since the RX-8 came out, I'm aware of exactly one mechanical failure: a blown transmission. A normally aspirated rotary is very reliable.

The fact that your buddy had more failures than everyone else I know who races RX-8s put together tells me he had a lemon and/or he abuses his cars, not that the RX-8 is unreliable.

Also, you've got to be joking if you're even implying that an FD RX-7 would be more reliable than an RX-8 -- FDs are infamous for their unreliability.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,May 9 2007, 06:09 AM
Yes, I would not say an RX-8 is more reliable than an S2000. People need to provide reason to their arguments though - like you did with citing Edmunds, etc - instead of making blanket statements that have little value. Things like "stupid problems" can be anything on any car.
I spend all my day comparing facts and what not in a law firm, I was too tired to dig out comparisions between the two while trying to just browse this forum for fun.

And ayways you already agreed that the S2K is more reliable than the RX-8.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,May 9 2007, 01:27 PM
Your buddy must have been brutalizing the car. The RX-8 is currently one of the most popular SCCA Stock class autocross cars out there. I personally know at least a dozen people who run them every weekend, including in Pro Solos (read: drag launches). Of all those people, over all the years since the RX-8 came out, I'm aware of exactly one mechanical failure: a blown transmission. A normally aspirated rotary is very reliable.

The fact that your buddy had more failures than everyone else I know who races RX-8s put together tells me he had a lemon and/or he abuses his cars, not that the RX-8 is unreliable.

Also, you've got to be joking if you're even implying that an FD RX-7 would be more reliable than an RX-8 -- FDs are infamous for their unreliability.
and FD are unreliable but they hott
Old 05-09-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,May 9 2007, 05:27 PM

Maybe he had a lemon... but after his experience, I'd be weary. Didn't drive that car any harder than any of his others, and NEVER experienced anything like that. His M3 is going on 60k miles being driven just as hard as the RX8, and not one mechanical issue. 3 blown motors makes me nervous, that just doesn't seem like it could be coincidence to me.

I'm not knocking the car's handling, or anything of that like. Just after my buddy's experience, I'd be very cautious. Given that he has other cars that he drives just as hard that have gone 60-100k+ miles, when his RX8 needed 3 engines inside of 18k, it would seem to me that the RX8 is not nearly as well built.

As for the FD, they really aren't as unreliable as people make them out to be. With reliability mods and religious upkeep, they do just fine. No one I know with FDs has had ANY of the kinds of problems that my buddy had with his RX8, and they weren't exactly conservative drivers, nor stock.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can vouch for the problems w/ the RX-8 since I owned one. Many of the owners I personally knew went through terrible issues w/ the car. Firstly, Mazda misled consumers w/ false hp numbers. Lastly, the number of engine failures in the '04s was fairly high in group of owners that I knew. Engine lights turning on often was a common sight in the '04s...it happened to me...so I sold it quick!! BTW I had the fourth RX-8 in Canada...
Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 PM

I was thinking of buying one when they first came out, but decided to let my buddy play "crash-test dummy".

It's entirely possible they fixed everything with the newer MYs, as he had an '04 also.

Quick Reply: 2004 RX-8 for $14,500 or 2001 S2000 for $14,800?