Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL (Pics)

Old 03-09-2003, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. didnt' realize that the new maxima's were hitting dealerships already... my mom is on her 4th (i believe) maxima, and loves em to death, however with the new cars coming out, shes looking at the g35 coupe, 350z, and maxima... i am probably in the minority here, but i kinda like the new maxima...

-stek
Old 03-09-2003, 10:35 PM

lol! "Nissan needs to be original and create new engines for their cars. Sharing motors is pretty lame". Is this based on your extensive marketing knowldege, or just because it isn't "cool". The only point of an engine to provide HP/TQ and realitbility, if one engine can do that why not use it on a variety of vehicles. If anything is "lame" it's that there is no difference between the Altima and the Maxima, not that it has a proven and reliable engine in it.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:28 AM

hmmmw what else am i missing?
The FX35 nad the Murano.

The back end of the new Maxima looks nice. That front grill though -- hideous.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:34 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I have to agree with LA-Z here. If a motor is considerd good (I don't think anyone thinks the VQ35 sucks), why not use it (modified appropriately) in a bunch of vehicles? It saves time and money and passes on the savings to the consumer. Lame or not (that's purely subjective), it works in everyone's favor.

Nissan and Infiniti are kicking some serious butt (or are on their way to doing so). They're offering a lot vehicles with class-leading features in price, amenities, performance, and reliability.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:56 AM

So they might have a lower price, and some performance and amenities. But the interior quality has some catchin up to do before I will buy any Nissan/Infiniti. I sat in an FX45, the plastics were HORRIBLE. Definitely not fitting of a car of that caliber. I've heard much the same for basically every Infiniti and Nissan. Once they get some high quality materials, I'd be interested.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:08 AM

I certainly don't think that Nissan/Infiniti have made perfect cars yet. I only think that they're building very challenging, very competitive cars especially compared to their previous (lack of) competitive production vehicles in, say, the early to late 90s.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:38 AM

i think its neat that they are using one engine because as they improve upon it all their focus and money will be spent improving that one powerplant.

I'm gonna have to say though that the front end of that maxima is but ugly... don't like the altima much either though it is better than the previous one.
I do like the last iteration of the maxima before this.... in fact convinced my girlfriend to buy a nice used example...
Old 03-11-2003, 08:49 AM

Ditto on liking the previous generation - decent looks (far better than the above photos), relatively good performance, nice features, and decent reliability. Can't go wrong with the last gen Maxima.

I read in one of the car mags where they describe the front grill with it's chrome piece as looking like some sort of mouth with a polished single tooth.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:11 PM

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,391 Posts

I'll without judgement on the looks until I see good clean pictures or the real thing. It looked quite nice on the quick shot I saw on one of the TV shows, but that was primarily a side shot. My trusty old '90 Black Max still runs like a Swiss watch (or should I say Timex) but if I like the looks of this one, I would have to give it strong consideration.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ufortunately I was very disappointed with the looks of the new Maxima. I really liked the new Altima, and my family was thinking about getting one, but we wanted to wait for the new Maxima as it might have addressed the one shortcoming we saw in the Altima (we wanted more room). Needless to say the new Maxima looks terrible. We will keep looking at the Altima 3.5 Se vs. the Accord and Camry (company car).

Quick Reply: 2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL (Pics)