Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2004 Civic Si

Old 04-24-2007, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Civic Si

I've been lurking here a while, thought I'd post up about a question. I've read magazine reviews and what not since this oppurtunity came up, but I want some enthusiasts' opinions. I've wanted an S2000 for years, but have not been able to afford one, and my current car (96' Ford Mustang, V6 with 186000 miles on it) is going to the crapper. Quick. So this brings me to this current oppurtunity. 2004 Civic Si with ~40,000 miles for just under $10,000. Has anyone here driven one? Ridden in one? What's your thoughts and opinions, good and bad. I want a comforatable daily driver, I drive about 600 miles a week. But I also want some pep for a few spirited driving sessions of course. And the Civic Si seems like a good choice until I can afford the payments (and insurance ) on an S2000.
SO whatcha guys think?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:32 AM

not bad of a car , not a great car either. for 10k you can find a nice integra GSR , for 12-14k you can buy an ITR and have a blast.
also look into the 99-00 EM1, they have better resale value than the hatch SI and are more fun to drive also
Old 04-24-2007, 07:02 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Imo, you're coming from rwd, and want to go to rwd, so don't get a fwd car. If you can't swing the S now, a Miata might be a good choice. If you need more space, a newer used Mustang might hold you over too.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 24 2007, 10:02 AM
Imo, you're coming from rwd, and want to go to rwd, so don't get a fwd car. If you can't swing the S now, a Miata might be a good choice.
I totally agree.

There is nothing wrong with a Miata and as they have been out for so long they come in all price ranges. If the end result is really a high performance RWD car I just find the thought of going to a FW Driver to be less than optimal. The other good thing about a Miata, is its size. I'm assuming this car is your daily driver, so it has to do everything. It would be better to find out while owning a Miata that it is just too darn small for your needs than to finally get an S only to come to that realization.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:09 AM

I agree with the others about the Miata. They can be had cheap, and nothing will be closer to an S2000 than that realistically speaking.

As for the EP Civic Si you are inquiring about, be it FWD or not, it is a nice little hatch. I almost bought one before my GTI, and liked how it drove and how it revved. It's not as big or as safe as the GTI (or have as nice an interior), but it's a great bite-sized commuter with some pep and Honda reliability. I'd definitely recommend it if you can't find a decent Miata. As for the Integra GSR, those are also cheap to pick up, but less fuel efficient (not by much) and a massive theft target. EM1 Civic Sis will also be a fairly obvious theft target, but it's still a good looker. Either Civic SI has about the same power, but different engines.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I've been looking for a Miata for awhile now, and I haven't been able to find a used one in dealer lots or in classifieds anywhere. Same with the Integra. I love the Integra and would like one, but again - none local. Thanks much for your responses, and I agree totally with you all, but with the options I've been given, I think this is the best route to go. If I could wait and shop around for awhile for a 'teg or a miata, I would, but as I said, the stang is on it's last leg. Thanks again for replying, and any other comments or suggestions or discussion will still be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i've driven my friends EP3 a couple times.

She has bolt-ons (intake/header/exhaust) its a pretty quick car. i actually have fun with it when i drive it.

she is also lowered on tein s-tech springs. the handling is not too bad . bodyroll is not much of a factor surprisingly. with a good set of coilovers it should be much better.

even if your not into modding the car it should still be a pretty fun car to drive. and should make a good daily driver as well. there is a quite a bit of room in the backseats and trunk its not much but remember, you can fold the seats down if you need to store large items.

if you need more info i would check out www.ephatch.com

anyways, good luck !!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:57 AM

Are you looking at the classifieds on www.miata.net? There are always some nice cars for sale in all price ranges.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by mr_jil,Apr 24 2007, 11:50 AM
I love the Integra and would like one, but again - none local.
Your profile does not contain a location, so where exactly is local...
Old 04-24-2007, 12:16 PM

I live in Ruston, Louisiana. About an hour out of Shreveport. And anyone who might be local and wants to give me a ride... let me know!!

Quick Reply: 2004 Civic Si