Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2003 cobra, why did they recall them?

Old 02-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

um, Ford sucks because they designed a supercharged engine that lays waste to anything in its class? 03 Cobras weren't recalled, they stopped production and fixed an issue before a customer saw it. Every car maker has issues, not every car maker so totally dominates their market segment like Ford does with full size trucks and V8 coupes.

I find it interesting that fans of Honda, of all companies, dare suggest an auto maker like Ford "sucks," when companies like Honda shy away from direct competition with them.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by jiggagnome' date='Feb 18 2005, 07:46 PM
Its usually not the manufacturer its the dealership, some honda dealerships do the same thing, no one wants to give away money, although I guess cuz honda has a reputation to uphold they do their best not to piss owners off and since ford has no reputation to uphold it goes ahead and pisses everyone off. I owned a ford for 6 years and I had nothing but good experiences with ford,.... owned a honda for a few months and have had nothing but bad experiences, not to stereotype but just throwing my 2 cents in
I know it's usually at the dealership level. In QUIKAG's post, I took it that his friend took Ford Motor Company to court (after escalating things past the dealership level).

I've heard so many stories of dealerships attempting to void warranties in cases where a modification has no bearing on whatever issue the car is experiencing. It's ridiculous.

What Honda do you have that's been so problematic? The S2000? New or used? Bad experiences with the car itself, the dealer/service dept, or both? I've had 3 Hondas in the past 11 years. The only issue was on my first Honda, a 1994 Civic EX, when the passenger side door panel had a small area where the vinyl had come unglued and was bulging out. It was replaced immediately even though my warranty had expired earlier that year.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by no_really' date='Feb 18 2005, 08:46 PM
um, Ford sucks because they designed a supercharged engine that lays waste to anything in its class? 03 Cobras weren't recalled, they stopped production and fixed an issue before a customer saw it. Every car maker has issues, not every car maker so totally dominates their market segment like Ford does with full size trucks and V8 coupes.

I find it interesting that fans of Honda, of all companies, dare suggest an auto maker like Ford "sucks," when companies like Honda shy away from direct competition with them.
Where was Ford's diligence back in 1999 with that Cobra? They got their ass chewed out by Cobra owners, and rightfully so. That's why production was stopped on the 2003's and the problem was taken care of (to some degree, anyway (see QUIKAG's post)).

Ford makes great trucks, no doubt. They just about have to; they pretty much float the whole company.

Honda shies away? Do you have something to support that statement? Honda is a small company compared to Ford. Ten years ago Honda were just starting to market their first SUV.. and it wasn't even built by them. The products are coming. I'm sure you'll find the Honda Ridgeline competing quite strongly with the Ford Explorer SportTrac in the coming year.

In cars, look at the Accord and the Taurus. Would you say that Honda shied away from directly competing with Ford?

Quality? Reliability? Recalls? TSBs? Sales? Resale Value? Take away all the fleet sales of Taurus, which did nothing nice for their reputation or resale value whatsoever...
Old 02-18-2005, 07:07 PM
ttb

all reports/studies have shown that in general japanese cars are more reliability/better quality than american cars. in other words, ford sucks compared to honda in quality.

damn, remember when ford used to use that tag line "quality is job 1"

not surprising that they dropped it.

ford sucks.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Banned

where's the Honda V8 coupe? Where's the Honda full-size truck? Where's the Honda RWD V8 sedan?

Not many car makers attepmt to compete directly with one another - common sense says not to try to out-do a competitor on the exact same product.

The 99 Cobra issue was resolved by Ford with extrude-honing intakes and new exhaust systems. Name one other car maker to go to that expense to make it right for their customers? The end result of the 99 Cobra issue was the 99 Cobra buyers got more than they paid for - a win-win in my book. The reason there was a discrepancy with the 99 Cobras was, in assembly, the exhaust was "massaged" to make room for the IRS - first-year bugs worked out by Ford in favor of the new owners, not Ford's bottom line. Where's the bitch?

In a Fall Autoweek, an SVT exec was asked about voiding warrantees for owners showing up at SVT-sponsored track events. the answer was "Unlike other car makers, Ford will honor Cobra warrantees after track events, barring excessive abuse." Note that they aren't worried about abuse, just excessive abuse. Ford makes cars to be driven, and aren't shy about it, unlike some other companies.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:29 PM

[quote name='no_really' date='Feb 18 2005, 10:42 PM'] where's the Honda V8 coupe?
Old 02-18-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by no_really' date='Feb 18 2005, 06:46 PM

I'm not gonna say that Ford sucks, but a lot of their cars are very undesirable. It's been that way for many years and that's why they keep losing profit. Once upon a time not long ago, it was a giant compared to Toyota, but because of undesirable cars, Toyota keeps climbing the ladder while Ford keeps falling. Today, Toyota is ahead of Ford in sales and light years ahead in profits. Honda and Toyota keep climbing while Ford will keep falling. Watch in a few years!

Ford vehicles in general are much less reliable and quality than Honda and Toyota, as confirmed by countless of tests by independent testing companies. If you dared to argue with that, you're a fool who's out of touch with reality.

Regardless, watch in a few years, Honda and Toyota will keep climbing while Ford will keep declining, even though Ford owns like 10 other automakers and Honda and Toyota are by themselves.

Honda is not shying away from anything. Most of their new vehicles receive great conception. Their sedans are doing excellent, and their new SUV, Pilot, is doing very well. Let's see, Honda is one of the leaders in family sedans, near-luxury sedans, SUV's, hybrids, small economy cars, minivans, etc. I wouldn't call that shying away.

If Ford keeps declining the way it has been for years, it wouldn't be long or surprising that Nissan and Honda will overtake it in the near future.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:44 PM

Well I'll say this,

Honda is better quality
Honda is better reliability
Honda is more inventive
Honda does build a great v8

oh and Honda kicks ford ass in racing wether it be the IRL or F1, Honda's IRL V8 ownz, also honda in the earlier years had to be told to cut down on how powerful and great their engines were in the racing world because it was outpeforming everything else

Yes ford can build a good muscle car, but hey that's ok Honda doesn't because it's not their thing but it still doesn't mean honda < Ford

plain and simple i'll say it FORD Sucks

Ford = Find on Roadside Dead
Old 02-18-2005, 08:54 PM

I feel bad for Ford having to issue a recall on their halo car, the GT. I forget what it's for though. I think the engine or supercharger.

EDIT: I found it - it's for cracking suspension control arms.

Bad publicity.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:06 PM
ttb

"Ford will quietly notify dealers who have 2005 GT models in their inventory that they may not drive, demonstrate or sell the vehicles until two recalls are performed. According to a Ford memo, representatives from Ford will contact GT owners individually and instruct them "not to drive their vehicle under any circumstances."

Quick Reply: 2003 cobra, why did they recall them?