Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2002 Nissan Xterra Opinions?

Old 02-05-2002, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Nissan Xterra Opinions?

Hi All,

Does anyone have any first- or second-hand experience with the Nissan Xterra? My Sister is on the verge of placing an order for one & I just wanted to see if there are any genuine rants, raves, and/or must-have-options before she does so. I'm not particularly thrilled with the Xterra's narrow track and high CG, but I do not have any first-hand experience with this particular SUV. Anything else???

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-05-2002, 05:17 PM

I had owned one,
it is a SE 4WD without supercharge.

very tall, the vision is great.
very underpower, ate alot fuel, interior is ugly for my opinion. and I dont like the part-time 4 wheel drive (most the time I can only using RWD, use 4WD less than 5%).
very useble space, when you want to put down the back seat, it require to take off the seat cushion, you need to take off the roof rack to open the sun roof.

but I know there are a supercharge now, and the improvement in the interior so not ugly anymore.

overall i like my Xterra, even I only own for 6 months. I had alot fun to drive that car to lake arrowhead for some off-road.
I like the look too, especially my choice of yellow colour.
It is a good car, but very truck-like handling. the off-road is great. dont know your sister like those or not.

your sister should also check out the new CR-V and Land Rover Freelander.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:54 AM

I test drove the 4WD SE (V6) and SE Supercharged models, and found the non-supercharged model to be underpowered. The supercharged version is acceptable. It definitely has more usable space than the Jeep Liberty, if that's in the running for her. (Liberty felt more like an upscale RAV-4 or CR-V, but no where as useable/practical as the Xterra). I did prefer the steering feeling of the rack-and-pinion system the Liberty has over the recirculated-ball the Xterra uses, and the remove-the-seat-cushion-to-put-the-seat-down approach is weak/cheap/lame, but tolerable. AVXs2000 is also correct about the gas mileage -- the supercharged version gets 16/18, but at least it's not an uber-pig like an Excursion or the like (12mpg?). Another minor nagging issue I have with the Xterra is that it has a busy engine bay rather than being nice and tidy.

All those downsides however would not stop me from buying one. I find the Xterra a much more usable and practical SUV than the competition and feel it has good build quality, looks, and performance (supercharged model).

On the other hand, if your sister doesn't need real offroad capabilities, have her consider the CR-V. Everybody I know that has one loves it (good cargo room, drives like a car, Honda reliability and build quality, etc.) For about the same price, you get more/better features than the Toyota RAV-4.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-06-2002, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nooooo!! Not the XTerrible! The gas mileage stinks! The average for an SUV in that class is about 20-24mpg, but the Xterra gets 16-18. Couple that with the el cheapo looking interior. I sat in one and I couldn't get past a certain rental car feeling. If your sis doesn't mind being stuck inside a cheap rental car that drinks jugs of gas, then get it. Otherwise, I'd recommend the CRV, Freelander, Rav4. Heck, even the Pathfinder would be better for not much more in comparison to the s/c Xterrible.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:10 AM

well, i personally dont like it......
buy a CRV instead of an Xterra or something......
Old 02-07-2002, 04:40 AM

I don't have Extera experience, but I have over 300,000 miles of experience on Nissan pickups. The 4WD system may not be as simple and automated as some other vehicles, but if you want tough, if you want durable, if you want a working vehicle, not some wimpy thing - their 4WD system is great!

Nissan works their engines rather hard for power and they do a very good job in my mind. The point here is if you are not standing on the throttle all the time you can get rather good mileage. If you are on the throttle all the time, you pay for it. My King Cab XE-V6 4x4 gets 20mpg at 70mph on the express way. If I'm not pounding on it on my daily drive (a mix of city and rural) I get about 18mpg, if I'm beating up on cars at traffic lights and running it up to red line or dropping down two gears to make passes it can come in around 16mpg.

If I were in the market for a small SUV, I would consider the Extera!
Old 02-10-2002, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My ex and I bought an Xterra the day it debuted at the dealership. We loved it, and with the V6, we didn't find it to be underpowered at all. I really enjoyed driving it, and it complemented S2000 ownership nicely.

In short, if I needed an SUV, I'd buy another one...