Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2002 BMW 7's getting 'low balled' on wholesale market

Old 09-08-2002, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 BMW 7's getting 'low balled' on wholesale market

From this link:

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_artic...le000092381.cfm

"2002 BMW 7's getting 'low balled' on wholesale market
Resale value of new body style in the tank

A quick survey of BMW dealers by the Spies uncovered extremely weak resale values of the new 7-series.

Based on random calls to our 'in the know' wholesalers and BMW dealer GM's, a 2002 seven series with an original MSRP of $75K, is only bringing around $62K wholesale.

What this means to you the consumer is, if you had or have bought one and want to dump it or trade it in on another car, you can only expect to get a number in the low sixties.

Which means you are probably $12-15K underwater on your 745...

Brutal!"
Old 09-08-2002, 01:02 PM

I went to my local BMW dealership last weekend and they had 6 brand new 745s sitting on the lot. The salesman was saying that no one cares for the look of the car and iDrive is just too complicated. He was also saying that the prior generation used 7 series are much more popular than the current model.

I've also read that BMWNA is buying back lots of the early 745s because they have been so problematic and the dealers are unable to fix them.

This is not a good start for the designer, Chris Bangle.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:49 PM

any BMW with a Bangled-Butt is not going to look good
Old 09-09-2002, 12:43 AM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

poor ferrariman...lol
Old 09-09-2002, 05:33 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 4IGS2000
poor ferrariman...lol
Nah, he'll just have to convince his daddy to take him back to Toys R' Us to get him another toy car.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:13 PM

Hehe.

How about this ad:

[B]"Even I can
Old 09-09-2002, 01:33 PM

LOL thats hillarious man.

Very sad sight to see really. I v heard many good things about the ride of teh new 7, but the computer is just a PIA. Ugly as hell too. I hear the new 5 is along the same lines, poor BMW
Old 09-12-2002, 06:41 AM
pfb

I think if I was in the market for an uber-sedan, I'd opt for a MB S or possibly the new A8 over the 7 series... Hell, maybe even the new VW Phateon!
Old 09-12-2002, 08:41 AM

Anybody notice how the look of the new BMW has gotten softer, more like a Mercedes, and the new Mercedes are all looking sleeker & sportier. My family will be buying a new E class for my mom now. We really liked the previous generation 5 series & 7 series, but the new BMW's are just god awful looking. The Benz's are getting better.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:00 PM

I am a huge BMW fan, but the but front and back end of the 7 series is horrible. I can clearly see why values are down and sales are very low. The iDrive is way too complicated and as far as the voice activation, give me a break.

If you think the back of the 7 is bad, please do not find and look at the back of the 6 series that is coming. It has the same back ugly trunk, but the lights stick out in tubular shapes are make it even more ugly, and yes- I know that is hard to fathom.

The new 5 series has also picked up many of these crappy Bangle clues and we can only hope they go away before it comes to market, but I'm not holding my breath. Then we get to the Z4 and the upcoming 1 series. Well excuse me, I feel a need to throw-up.

Considering the fact that these cars are a blast to drive, have what I consider to be the best brakes on the planet and are a thrill to throw around the race track, it is a real shame Chris Bangle is on staff and leading the design group. The goal was to make BMW more unique and have a look that helped to separate them from the other outstanding German products. However the look has seemingly enraged long term buyers and has now forced them to the other German products, let alone some of the great Japanese products.

What I want to know is how long BMW will keep their head in the sand. At what point will they look at their sales figures and determine Bangle and his bungling ideas need to be thrown out like a broken guebo?

Quick Reply: 2002 BMW 7's getting 'low balled' on wholesale market