Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2002-2003 C5 Z06

Old 05-23-2013, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait wait wait Chris.... better seats? Why are they better? Better reliability? You do know the ls6 is battle tested and extremely reliable right? And FASTER around corners!? No way no way not in auto x, not in a twisty canyon and sure as hell not on a track... and just to sprinkle on top, I get 28mpg on the freeway
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be such a fan boy, the Z06 is great but doesn't mean it's better at everything. Stock C5 seats suck for hard driving, while the Toyobaru's seats are among the better ones for track use of any production car regardless of price IMO. The LS6 is reliable, but C5's have various other issues (column lock for one, overheating at track for another). Faster cornering (when both are equipped w/ comparable rubber) probably comes down to the driver.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

For DD duty, i'd rather drive an FR-S or S2000. Corvettes just feel BIG and more remote, not as much fun to drive in the real world. To me anyway...
Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Column lock is a $50 fix. EVERY car ive owned except the s2k has inherrent minor issues. The c5 having some of the least! And I think you read too many car journalist critics of the z06 seats they really aren't bad. No OEM seat for any car under $75k is suited for real track duty that's why they have bolts so you can remove them.... I would argue very strongly against your opinion that the FRS/brz with matching rubber would hang at all with a c5z. The FRS/brz is fun but in a whole different ballpark of performance and I don't mean in a good way. Its probably a great DD but it seems to have been completely over hyped. I mean its goal was to be a new age ae86 NOT a $50-100k sport car competitor.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
Column lock is a $50 fix. EVERY car ive owned except the s2k has inherrent minor issues. The c5 having some of the least! And I think you read too many car journalist critics of the z06 seats they really aren't bad. No OEM seat for any car under $75k is suited for real track duty that's why they have bolts so you can remove them.... I would argue very strongly against your opinion that the FRS/brz with matching rubber would hang at all with a c5z. The FRS/brz is fun but in a whole different ballpark of performance and I don't mean in a good way. Its probably a great DD but it seems to have been completely over hyped. I mean its goal was to be a new age ae86 NOT a $50-100k sport car competitor.

Evan
Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 PM

Thank you Evan
Let a man preach!
Lol
I enjoy the car debates
Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Presto123
Originally Posted by Chris S' timestamp='1369276725' post='22561191
Different strokes for different folks... I have a friend who recently got a killer deal on a low mileage, pristine '08 Z06 w/ ~600 rwhp. He just blew the engine, and it's not looking liks such a great deal any more.
The LS7 has been known to drop valves even on completely stock daily driven cars. A few people have experienced this and some even under warranty had issues with GM replacing the motor. I was really interested in picking up a used C6Z in a few years before I read up on this. Now I think I will wait until C7s drop into the mid 30k range or pick up a C6 Grand Sport.
This is just one example of lack of GM quality will prevent me from ever buying any GM product again.

I had several issues with three different GM products that tested my sanity. Then just last week, my wife needed to have her TSX jumped due to needing a new battery. Her friend could not jump her TSX with a newer Camaro because of an electrical system in those cars that basically fries the electrical system if you try and jump start another vehicle.

GM quality? That's now an oxy-moron in the automotive world.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Originally Posted by Presto123' timestamp='1369319456' post='22561980
[quote name='Chris S' timestamp='1369276725' post='22561191']
Different strokes for different folks... I have a friend who recently got a killer deal on a low mileage, pristine '08 Z06 w/ ~600 rwhp. He just blew the engine, and it's not looking liks such a great deal any more.
The LS7 has been known to drop valves even on completely stock daily driven cars. A few people have experienced this and some even under warranty had issues with GM replacing the motor. I was really interested in picking up a used C6Z in a few years before I read up on this. Now I think I will wait until C7s drop into the mid 30k range or pick up a C6 Grand Sport.
This is just one example of lack of GM quality will prevent me from ever buying any GM product again.

I had several issues with three different GM products that tested my sanity. Then just last week, my wife needed to have her TSX jumped due to needing a new battery. Her friend could not jump her TSX with a newer Camaro because of an electrical system in those cars that basically fries the electrical system if you try and jump start another vehicle.

[/quote]

Your friend is an idiot.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by FearlessFife' timestamp='1369588818' post='22568106
[quote name='Presto123' timestamp='1369319456' post='22561980']

[/quote]

Your friend is an idiot.
[/quote]

Um, no. She has family that works at a GM dealership. The knowledge is first hand.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1369702613' post='22570126
[quote name='FearlessFife' timestamp='1369588818' post='22568106']
[quote name='Presto123' timestamp='1369319456' post='22561980']

[/quote]

Your friend is an idiot.
[/quote]

Um, no. She has family that works at a GM dealership. The knowledge is first hand.
[/quote]

I have family that are medical doctors. Doesn't mean I'm a doctor myself. If you repeat what I tell you and claim the authority of a doctor, you are an idiot.

Most modern cars risk damage to the computer and other electronics if you're not careful when using to jump-start - it's been that way since ECU's and certainly isn't limited to the Chevy Camaro. The Camaro's battery is actually in the trunk, but there is a power terminal under the hood for charging and jump-starting. I don't doubt someone told her not to use the car for jump-starting - that's just safe advice for any car.

It doesn't sound like you know how ignorant it makes you appear when you repeat third- or fourth-hand nonsense and claim it's "first-hand knowledge."

As far as "poor quality," it wasn't the Camaro needing the jumpstart, was it? Now go fix your "perfectly reliable" Acura.

Quick Reply: 2002-2003 C5 Z06