Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2002-2003 C5 Z06

Old 06-11-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waltk88
Chris, how would the C5Z stack up against your M3 on the track? Are they pretty close in straight line speed? I'd guess the Corvette's major advantages would be weight and tire contact patch.
I can only speculate, as I've only been behind the wheel briefly in a C5 Z06, and it was only public streets. The Z's power felt more brutal, and it comes on sooner in the powerband. You're right, weight and contact patches are major advantages, along w/ a lower center of gravity. On the other hand, the M3's seats are much bettter The M3 is very good on the track, but I expect the Z would slaughter it w/ equal drivers.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by waltk88
Chris, how would the C5Z stack up against your M3 on the track? Are they pretty close in straight line speed? I'd guess the Corvette's major advantages would be weight and tire contact patch.
The Vette has similar power but weighs 600 lbs less with larger tires. I don't see how the Vette can do anything but beat the M3.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Can't stop watching z06 vids lol. Damn it!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chris I reccomend the skip shift delete mod first. $25 well spent. Plugs right in into the trans. Column lock bypass goes in tomorrow as well as a brand new set of valve springs/seals. Damn I love the stupid power of the ls-6. Zero regrets so far!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Seems bolt ones max out around or a little under 400whp with those right? How much above that can you go with some street cams?

Have you lowered yours yet? I was looking up pictures of lowering them with the lowering bolt. Goes a bit lower but looks like I think the C6 bolts can be swapped over to go a little lower? That looked perfect lowered to max on the c6 bolts.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
Hey Chris I reccomend the skip shift delete mod first. $25 well spent. Plugs right in into the trans. Column lock bypass goes in tomorrow as well as a brand new set of valve springs/seals. Damn I love the stupid power of the ls-6. Zero regrets so far!
Agreed, I did that to my '94 Z28 as well. Would you mind PM'ing or posting links to where to buy the skip shift delete and column lock bypass mods?

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Seems bolt ones max out around or a little under 400whp with those right? How much above that can you go with some street cams?

Have you lowered yours yet? I was looking up pictures of lowering them with the lowering bolt. Goes a bit lower but looks like I think the C6 bolts can be swapped over to go a little lower? That looked perfect lowered to max on the c6 bolts.
I know they can gain a lot of hp w/ bolt-ons, but I'm planning to leave the powertrain stock. GM engineered it more thoroughly than any aftermarket provider, and I want maximum reliability since I'll be tracking it. The stock power felt awesome, I'll probably have to develop my driving skills more before I can fully exploit it.

I don't get it until tomorrow afternoon, but I'll lower it on stock bolts first, then evaluate whether I need more from there.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Congrats, Chris.

I'm not really a vette guy at all, but I too have a soft spot for the C5 Z06.

Not sure if I've missed this in the thread, but Edmunds Insideline had a 2002 as a long-termer a couple years ago and did lots of interesting writeups about it. Problem is since they f'd up their layout it's hard to find the older posts.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To those of you considering lowering the Vette...my C6's front bumper's bottom is basically destroyed from the lovely streets here in southern California, and it's on stock height If you DD the Vette or even drive it on the streets for a good amount of time I'd suggest you think twice before doing it, unless you drive on relatively smooth roads.

For the LS6s I believe they are quite similar to the LS2 when it comes to bolt-on power; stock 350whp, headers/intake/tune 380whp, add cam 420whp IIRC (cam vary a lot and so does the gain). Rough figures, your dyno may vary, just pay attention to the delta.

I watched Vette vids for years before I even got my C6. Nowadays my daily debate is to either mod my LS3 or just sell it and get into a C6Z Waiting for the C7s to hit the market for a few months so I can see how used C6Zs' pricing is affected, if at all. One of my dream cars is a H/C z06, just nasty to have almost 600whp N/A.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:43 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

A local one just popped up for sale with 18K miles (2002 model) and asking price just under $30K.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ492222354
Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction

yes, staying NA with bolt ons and a tune put you round 385/395whp.. As for lowering, eibach makes a set of longer bolts for the c5, (probably acting like the c6 bolts) they are like $60.00. my uncle just chopped the rubber stopper or whatever off the factory c5 bolts for more mm's to lower (i dont reccomend that). But like the fellow said a few posts up, with the air damn in the front of the vette your scraping most everywhere at STOCK baja ride height! -2'' on the vette and your ready to touch ground.

Chris-
I got my CLB from ebaymotors for $35.00 instead of from a forum for $50.00. Skip shift mod came from summitracing.com for $25.00. Also ordered the 04' blue valve springs/valve stem seals from summit. Both the CLB and valve springs replacement are paranoid fixes, something liek 1-5% of c5 owners experiance failures, but because its so "cheap" to do im gonna do it. A mechanic buddy is doing the valve springs, too much stress for me.

Quick Reply: 2002-2003 C5 Z06