Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2002-2003 C5 Z06

Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1370656061' post='22594616
Oh, we're talking about tracking now? I didn't realize the OP had mentioned that.

C'mon, people - stop expanding the original post to make a point no one disputed in the first place.
You said as reliably, a broad statement, so if the vette is reliable there, what the s wont be? I think youre missing the point again, you can jump into a lightly modded vette, run an 11 sec pass, drive home, go to work all week getting near 30mpg, and essentially keep on truckin. And hondaphiles love talking about long term reliability and how you can beat on them and it keeps going. So yes. So when you say that an s2000 with 15 worth of mods into it is as reliable as a vette, youre making quite the claim. Lets not even begin to talk about if its 50 state reliable. Lol. Everyone stop buying higher horsepower cars, you can make an s2000 into anything! And as long as you do it right it will be just as reliable as it was when it was stock, just like how no one bends valves when they frequent the 9k redline or have clicking diffs or have gears locked out, so adding 15k will take care of all that! Lol.
Man, you just love to make up statements, don't you? I said "reliably" (not "AS reliably") within a certain context, which I clearly laid out (see below). If you read ALL MY POSTS, you'll see that I said:

I'm not supporting the "dollar for dollar" argument. Never have, never will. My point was, you're comparing the ability to modify with good results between two cars at very different price points ($15K apart, in fact). The more expensive car is bound to have the motor and chassis that can be built for more, more reliably. Very rare to have a more expensive car that doesn't respond as well (as long as both engines are N/A or turbo or whatever - type of aspiration has to match up).
$10K in an S2000 will get you a lot more than 300hp (reliably). Clutch and a nice supercharger setup will net you 350+ whp, no problem, and unless you're launching it, it'll last quite a while. 400 whp is more than doable for that kind of money, which means that your S2000 will have nearly the same whp as the Vette but weigh a few hundred pounds less.
Nowhere did I state a 500 hp S2000 would be as reliable as a 500 hp Vette. Nowhere did I claim an S2000 with $15K in mods would be as reliable as a 500 hp Vette. I merely said the S2000 would be "reliable" and "last a long time". More specifically, I stated that the more expensive car (Vette) can be built for more power more reliably. So, there you have it - I was agreeing with you, you just apparently don't want to actually see the agreement.

So yeah, stop making up straw man arguments. I've been very balanced on this - you're the one keeps making up claims that I supposedly said. My comments were tempered with a lot of common sense.

All I've said is that the more expensive car (Vette) is going to naturally respond better to mods, mainly because it is built for more power and it's engine naturally has more room for improvement. That's why you pay $15K more for it, up front. It's not $5K in mods, it's $15K in "mods" (from the factory - big V8) plus $5K in aftermarket mods to get to 500 hp. It's not very fair to compare $5K in mods on a $50K Vette to $5K in mods on a $35K Honda.

By the way, good luck getting 30 mpg driving to work in your 500 hp Vette. Pure highway driving, yes, but most of us don't work off the highway and most of us deal with traffic. My coworker had an LS3 that was heavily modified and he was lucky to get 15 mpg driving to and from work and he actually had some highway driving in there.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

So you're saying then that mod for mod the s makes less power than the vette and won't be as reliable at the same power level then right?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, forget all defending all your previous comments. What about resale? You might as well light $15K on firs and watch it burn.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:10 AM

I think it's best to appreciate the cars for what they are instead of comparing and contrasting pros and cons. Both are fantastic cars. There will always be someone faster, lower, better handling, prettier. PSA brought to you by "Truth32"
Old 06-08-2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S
OK, forget all defending all your previous comments. What about resale? You might as well light $15K on firs and watch it burn.
Again, never mentioned. I'm not a fan of modifying cars at all, aside from basics (wheels/tires/suspension). Minor bolt-ons are okay, of course. So, $5K or $15K in modsd, it's all pretty much worth very little for resale, whether it's on the Vette or the S2000.

Like I said before, the Vette is a beast, dollar for dollar, and you won't find anything remotely close in price that is comparable. The S2000 is no exception to that rule.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
So you're saying then that mod for mod the s makes less power than the vette and won't be as reliable at the same power level then right?
I'm explaining WHY that is true and also how just saying "mod for mod, the S2000 does less" is somewhat of an unfair comparison, given that the Vette already has $15K in upgrades (comparing MSRP to MSRP).
Old 06-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Yet you find it fair to compare a 25k to 32k car and base your opinion on said 25k car on how it stacks up with the more expensive car. And to take a page out of your book, who ever said it was fair, were jisy saying mod for mod it makes more and you acknowledge that, of course ita ubfair to compare. 6.x liter v8 in a car that costs more to a s2000 bit your enthusiasm to unnecesarily defend hondas started this side discussion.
So how do you feel about comparing the mod for mod return for an nsx v6 from a late nsx to a c5 z96 then? How does your logic apply here?
We're simply talking about the widely accepted idea that ls engines rwapond well to mods or v8s in general like as I mentioned before but you seem to ignore the coyote v8. Also the ls motors xan be found in camaros as well. Again talking about how well they reapond to mods so how do you argue a 30k camaro or mustang then?
You're starting arguments that disprove nothing; the topic here is that ls motors respond well to mods and net better returns than na four bangers, not to mention at those higher hp levels will be more reliable and in certain cars like the vette have better mpg.
Lol yet you feel obligated to throw in ur usual well hondas can do that too, in thia case you just need 15k, a lot of know how or trustworthy shop, sacrifice honduh reliability, forgive inevitable issues that come from heavy modding and oh yeah probably not 50 state legal either. Oh and then argue semantics and make straw man arguments.
Lol.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:15 PM

Actually, I'm done. You still haven't grasped the issue so there's no point in me continuing.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:18 PM

The C5Z is a great car.I've had mine for 7 years and bought it from the original owner.

HP & TQ are great,easy to mod and still can get 32+ on the hwy.

It's a very different animal than the S2K.I like diff animals.
\rlr
Carolina
Old 06-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Had any issues with yours? How many miles over those 7 years?

Quick Reply: 2002-2003 C5 Z06