Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2001 BMW M Coupe and other fun cars please

Old 10-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprint,Oct 7 2007, 07:01 PM
BMW did not activate the sport button on the M-coupes. Do a search on the BMW forums. There is a write up somewhere about to active the sport throttle option on the M-coupe. Also an ECU reflashed with performance software does wonders on an Mcoupe.

Before you do anything get the rear subframe inspection. If you have popped welds get it fixed before the trunk floor falls off the car.
The previous owner had the rear subrame reinforced by BMW under warranty.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:59 AM

Pics please
Old 10-08-2007, 08:14 AM

Re: BMW quality vs. Honda quality

Jacques, first of all, congrats on the new M Coupe! I'm sure you will love it, and it's definitely going to hold its value.

However, you're right about the quality differences. I've spent a ton of money on my E36 M3 fixing little (and sometimes big) things. The people at the BMW parts counter know me by name, literally. Still, there are squeaks, rattles, and funny noises that really are just normal in these cars.

The S2000 has none of these problems, and I don't expect that it will.

Ah, well, but it's still worth it to pump money into the BMW. I just love driving the thing... and it's an incredible track car...
Old 10-08-2007, 02:47 PM

I used to hate the looks of the Z Coupe, but now i think its so incredibly distinctive that its awesome. it has the kind of looks that makes little children scared.

M Coupe sounds like an incredible car, and about the only car I would trade my S2000 for. Sorry about the rattles - i just cant stand that in a vehicle.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jacques79,Oct 7 2007, 10:11 PM
The previous owner had the rear subrame reinforced by BMW under warranty.
BMW never reinforced the rear subframe. They were not allowed by BMW corporate to admit that there was a subframe issue on any z3 cars due to several pending class action lawsuits. They were told to repair all cars back to stock. If it wasn't broke then the Dealer didn't touch it.

Most BMW dealers did do repair work on damaged subframes that were under warranty. If your car had work done on the rear subframe it most likely was a repair of a damaged subframe back to stock. I'm willing to bet that there is no reinforcement on your car.

Look under the car at the rear differetial mount. I the rear differential attached by a single mount? Or do you have a double eared differential cover with two mounts. Stock was single, if you have the double eared diff then chances are good that your subframe is reinforced.

You can also remove the carpet and tool kit in the rear trunk and take a look. If the subframe was reinforced there will be plates on the rear.

The pieces outlined in yellow are reinforcement pieces welded in.

Looks like this when finished.

There will also be a black sticky on stuff over the upper part of the trunk.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by silversprint,Oct 8 2007, 10:02 PM
BMW never reinforced the rear subframe. They were not allowed by BMW corporate to admit that there was a subframe issue on any z3 cars due to several pending class action lawsuits. They were told to repair all cars back to stock. If it wasn't broke then the Dealer didn't touch it.

Most BMW dealers did do repair work on damaged subframes that were under warranty. If your car had work done on the rear subframe it most likely was a repair of a damaged subframe back to stock. I'm willing to bet that there is no reinforcement on your car.

Look under the car at the rear differetial mount. I the rear differential attached by a single mount? Or do you have a double eared differential cover with two mounts. Stock was single, if you have the double eared diff then chances are good that your subframe is reinforced.

You can also remove the carpet and tool kit in the rear trunk and take a look. If the subframe was reinforced there will be plates on the rear.

The pieces outlined in yellow are reinforcement pieces welded in.

Looks like this when finished.

There will also be a black sticky on stuff over the upper part of the trunk.
There was indeed a big problem with the subframe as it was cracked and literally falling apart. The previous owner yelled at BMW for a few weeks, spoke to upper management and got his problem fixed along with a warranty on the work they did.

He told me BMW were really pricks and as you said didn't want to admit there was a general problem with the subframes...
Old 10-09-2007, 11:06 PM

That kits I posted pics of above is only about $600+installation. It would eliminate any subframe issues. These cars are well worth the effort since they are already classics.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jacques79,Oct 1 2007, 03:07 PM

I'm considering a lot an early NSX but since most people on these forums think a pre-1997 is useless I didn't want to get bashed for considering one

I know they aern't faster in the quarter mile than the S2000 but dammit the sound of the engine screaming behind my ears left me giggling little a little child last time I drove one; plus the seating position and view from the cockpit is stunning.

There are some decent examples around for 25-30K

Right now I'm really torn between a 2001-2002 M coupe and an early NSX.

I these cars equally but differently. The BMW for its sheer neck-snapping torque and the NSX for the sounds coming from behind the driver at 8000RPMs....
Why not test drive both to see what you like? Both are modern classics, but I would bet my money on the NSX if reliability is a goal. Also, NSXs are actually known to get better with age.

http://honda-portal.com/honda-videos.php?video_id=100

Probably the only disadvantage to the NSX would be the older brake system, but you could easily upgrade that.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 AM

M-coupe would be my pick of the cars you have listed. Seems very sporty and classy. Im sure it comunicates the road quite well. Why are you not looking for an m roadster s54. With some subframe connectors it should take most the jiggles out of it.
The nsx seems it would be a beast to work on.
The porsche is just impossible/expensive.
What about a used z06 or used convertable vette? Granted the interior leaves much to be desired but all else is rock solid.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:54 AM

congrats. but man... ugliest. car. ever. BMW roadster, meet hearse; drink beer make car love produce M coupe. enjoy!!

Quick Reply: 2001 BMW M Coupe and other fun cars please