Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

1999 Civic Si vs 2012 Civic Si

Old 06-16-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by hellaSleepy
^Its dropped pretty low already in price, yet you don't see much K swapped EP3's. Most people who do K swaps would choose to drop it in an EG/EK or Integra rather than in an EP3
It's also not trendy to do an EP3, I mean the entire time I had it people liked to give it crap, not that I cared, it was a solid DD that was plenty of fun to drive. I don't get why I would go all gaga for a car that performed pretty much the same but had less versatility, less refined, and less comfortable. The seats, shifter placement, and steering wheel alone makes me like the EP3. I mean people go all gaga over CR seats but overlook the EP3 seats. I could sit 5 people with reasonable comfort, did multiple costco/shopping/home depot at the same time, slept in hatch with the seats folded down (granted uncomfortably), and beat the holy hell out of it. The car is just more solid. Is the EM1 more engaging? Yeah. But when you own cars for a long time, you find pet peeves with cars. For me, the EM1 it's the interior, the quality for its day was good, but these days is just dated. The shifter too low, the steering wheel uninspiring, chassis less refined. I'm sure the EM1 in the long run will also be a better performer when all modded out, but I'm not the type to drop over 500 bucks modding a fwd 4 cyl 160hp econo car, hell I only changed the shifter bushings and the filter on my civic. Again, it's all personal preference. I preferred the steering feel, shifter feel, and driving dynamic of the EP3. Most critics of teh car never seem to criticise these points, just repeating it was the worst honda ever made, but can't explained why. Oh yeah, double wishbone, lighter, etc etc, well shoot, EG>911 right? Did I autocross my car? Nope, so what does that trivial difference make for me and really the majority of owners of either car? Perhaps it's cuz I cant yell vtec yo when my car starts to make some power.
Like I said, if the car came with a different engine, the sentiment will be totally different, which was apparent to those countries who got the type r version of the ep3.
It definitely wasn't a looker though, perhaps that's why... sorta makes sense, I mean people are willing to drop 40K on a 270hp two decade old car.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by ElTianti' timestamp='1308086924' post='20682535
[quote name='JonBoy' timestamp='1308077268' post='20681929']
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1308073884' post='20681650']
[quote name='JonBoy' timestamp='1307994978' post='20678133']
I'll be the first to admit I'm still in love with the slow, outdated S2000 and would gladly buy another if the right opportunity presented itself, despite the fact that an MS3 would kill it at the track or a Mustang GT would leave it for dead in just about any performance contest...
I disagree that the MS3 would "kill" the S2000 around a track. It might be slightly faster around a few tracks than an S2000 but I'd wager that the S2000 is faster at most tracks. Nevermind that after a few laps the MS3 would start to overheat it's front tires thanks to a heavy front end.

The older models are flat out more fun. I own a '92 Integra GS-R which is very similar to the EM1 Si (double wishbone suspension, B17A (near identical to the B16A) and light weight). Stock 0-60 was 6.7 seconds and 15.4 quarter mile so color me not impressed with the new Si. Oh and still gets up to 33 mpg on the highway.
I'll take that bet any time you want, assuming we're talking stock-for-stock.

Also, the old models wouldn't even be "legal" today with their lower levels of safety equipment, poorer crash resistance and the like. I don't disagree that they can be more fun but they're also significantly outdated in some serious ways.
[/quote]

Send me $50!

The S2000 CR is more than a second faster around VIR than either iteration of the MS3
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...to_2011_page_8
[/quote]

I said S2000, not S2000 CR and those times were not done on the same day, either. The same list shows a 335i being 3s faster than the lighter, more tossable 135i with equal power levels.....on different days.
[/quote]

Blah, blah, blah. I'm right, you're wrong, send me money.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Originally Posted by hellaSleepy' timestamp='1308125299' post='20683879
^Its dropped pretty low already in price, yet you don't see much K swapped EP3's. Most people who do K swaps would choose to drop it in an EG/EK or Integra rather than in an EP3
It's also not trendy to do an EP3, I mean the entire time I had it people liked to give it crap, not that I cared, it was a solid DD that was plenty of fun to drive. I don't get why I would go all gaga for a car that performed pretty much the same but had less versatility, less refined, and less comfortable. The seats, shifter placement, and steering wheel alone makes me like the EP3. I mean people go all gaga over CR seats but overlook the EP3 seats. I could sit 5 people with reasonable comfort, did multiple costco/shopping/home depot at the same time, slept in hatch with the seats folded down (granted uncomfortably), and beat the holy hell out of it. The car is just more solid. Is the EM1 more engaging? Yeah. But when you own cars for a long time, you find pet peeves with cars. For me, the EM1 it's the interior, the quality for its day was good, but these days is just dated. The shifter too low, the steering wheel uninspiring, chassis less refined. I'm sure the EM1 in the long run will also be a better performer when all modded out, but I'm not the type to drop over 500 bucks modding a fwd 4 cyl 160hp econo car, hell I only changed the shifter bushings and the filter on my civic. Again, it's all personal preference. I preferred the steering feel, shifter feel, and driving dynamic of the EP3. Most critics of teh car never seem to criticise these points, just repeating it was the worst honda ever made, but can't explained why. Oh yeah, double wishbone, lighter, etc etc, well shoot, EG>911 right? Did I autocross my car? Nope, so what does that trivial difference make for me and really the majority of owners of either car? Perhaps it's cuz I cant yell vtec yo when my car starts to make some power.
Like I said, if the car came with a different engine, the sentiment will be totally different, which was apparent to those countries who got the type r version of the ep3.
It definitely wasn't a looker though, perhaps that's why... sorta makes sense, I mean people are willing to drop 40K on a 270hp two decade old car.
Yeah I don't get the EP hate. I have an 2005 and I love it. The hatch ALONE makes it the better car. It's fun, economical (no premium fuel) and useful.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM

I hear people get about 34-36mpg on those base K20 engines

wish it had a 6 speed

actually without going over to the Honda-Tech forums can you do the following:

Take a RSX-S (any year, as it changed engines throughout its life) and put the 2006+ Civic Si tranny with the LSD on it?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by ElTianti
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1308147547' post='20684580
[quote name='ElTianti' timestamp='1308086924' post='20682535']
[quote name='JonBoy' timestamp='1308077268' post='20681929']
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1308073884' post='20681650']
[quote name='JonBoy' timestamp='1307994978' post='20678133']
I'll be the first to admit I'm still in love with the slow, outdated S2000 and would gladly buy another if the right opportunity presented itself, despite the fact that an MS3 would kill it at the track or a Mustang GT would leave it for dead in just about any performance contest...
I disagree that the MS3 would "kill" the S2000 around a track. It might be slightly faster around a few tracks than an S2000 but I'd wager that the S2000 is faster at most tracks. Nevermind that after a few laps the MS3 would start to overheat it's front tires thanks to a heavy front end.

The older models are flat out more fun. I own a '92 Integra GS-R which is very similar to the EM1 Si (double wishbone suspension, B17A (near identical to the B16A) and light weight). Stock 0-60 was 6.7 seconds and 15.4 quarter mile so color me not impressed with the new Si. Oh and still gets up to 33 mpg on the highway.
I'll take that bet any time you want, assuming we're talking stock-for-stock.

Also, the old models wouldn't even be "legal" today with their lower levels of safety equipment, poorer crash resistance and the like. I don't disagree that they can be more fun but they're also significantly outdated in some serious ways.
[/quote]

Send me $50!

The S2000 CR is more than a second faster around VIR than either iteration of the MS3
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...to_2011_page_8
[/quote]

I said S2000, not S2000 CR and those times were not done on the same day, either. The same list shows a 335i being 3s faster than the lighter, more tossable 135i with equal power levels.....on different days.
[/quote]

Blah, blah, blah. I'm right, you're wrong, send me money.
[/quote]

You really don't see why your claim is bogus? Or are you just being ignorant.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I have an EP3 that I drive every day. It seriously is a better car for driving around town than the EM1. It is so much more practical, the interior is way better, and it is faster, I don't care what the stats say.

I'm not 16 years old so I don't go around street racing people, but I did have the opportunity to "race" against an EM1 on private property and the EP3 is just consistently faster than the EM1. But here's the thing, they both suck balls at accelerating. They are fast enough to get out of their own way and, unlike most economy cars, you can pass people on the highway with relative ease. But they both are kind of a joke in terms of acceleration.

Another thing, the engine in the EP3 is odd. It has considerably more torque than the B16 but it feels, well, just kind of weird. It feels like it's torque relative to its power is askew and when you accelerate, you feel the torque and intuitively think, "Ok, here comes the power," but then you hit the 6800 RPM redline and realize it's never coming.

As mentioned, the shifter, seats, and steering wheel make the car worth driving. I also happen to really like the fact that it sits so high. Naturally, the hatchback is awesome as well.

Lastly, if I was picking one of these cars to make into a track car, sure, I'd probably pick the EM1. However, I'd never choose either of them over a ton of other cars (hence the turbo Miata in my garage). The EM1 does feel more "tossable" and I would generally give it the nod for handling, but in real world, "Holy shit I just had to swerve around a car and go over a speed bump at the same time," kind of handling, the EP3 is way better.

The EP3 is just a different way to accomplish basically the same thing performance wise, while giving you a much better experience while doing the mundane parts of motoring.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2000 SIR (Canada) and it was a blast to drive... but a lot of roll as mentioned. I was in the process of ordering suspension when it got swiped. Bought a base DC5 as a replacement.

The SIR was such a great base for a quick little car with amazing feedback, but lacked in more than a few areas. That said, the B16 in full song was stunning... Interior sucked.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

I'm a fan of the Ep3....I might get a 04/05 one day....I test drove one and I want one..
Old 06-19-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I have an EP3 that I drive every day. It seriously is a better car for driving around town than the EM1. It is so much more practical, the interior is way better, and it is faster, I don't care what the stats say.

I'm not 16 years old so I don't go around street racing people, but I did have the opportunity to "race" against an EM1 on private property and the EP3 is just consistently faster than the EM1. But here's the thing, they both suck balls at accelerating. They are fast enough to get out of their own way and, unlike most economy cars, you can pass people on the highway with relative ease. But they both are kind of a joke in terms of acceleration.

Another thing, the engine in the EP3 is odd. It has considerably more torque than the B16 but it feels, well, just kind of weird. It feels like it's torque relative to its power is askew and when you accelerate, you feel the torque and intuitively think, "Ok, here comes the power," but then you hit the 6800 RPM redline and realize it's never coming.

As mentioned, the shifter, seats, and steering wheel make the car worth driving. I also happen to really like the fact that it sits so high. Naturally, the hatchback is awesome as well.

Lastly, if I was picking one of these cars to make into a track car, sure, I'd probably pick the EM1. However, I'd never choose either of them over a ton of other cars (hence the turbo Miata in my garage). The EM1 does feel more "tossable" and I would generally give it the nod for handling, but in real world, "Holy shit I just had to swerve around a car and go over a speed bump at the same time," kind of handling, the EP3 is way better.

The EP3 is just a different way to accomplish basically the same thing performance wise, while giving you a much better experience while doing the mundane parts of motoring.
bro stats are stats with pro drivers and perfect shifting. If you beat an em1 then the driver sucked. with the same driver the race should be dead even or the em1 will pull a fender. This has been proven over and over since the car came out.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 AM

People prefer to do swaps into an EG or EK because they're cheaper and lighter.

The EP3 is a fantastic DD.

Maybe the EM1 is a better track car, but for the prices people ask, it just doesn't seem like a very good option.

Quick Reply: 1999 Civic Si vs 2012 Civic Si