Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

19 year old kid gets EVO MR...

Old 11-14-2004, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooh Cow, I see your point, but there will be that day when you are taunted to go faster by a cute girl, peer pressure, etc. etc. and if you don't have the experience you are going to have a problem.

Also realize that in the winter you will need separate tires for any of those cars and I hope your parents realize that if they are paying insurance, it will probably be more than the price of the car.

If I were you I would get a car like I did for my 1st, a Porsche 944, it handles great, is a wonderful car, but it has under 200hp, 170 I think, so it allows you to enjoy driving but at the same time you can not push the limits quite as quick as you could in any of the cars you listed.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by OoH_CoW,Nov 14 2004, 06:54 AM
its true that kids 16-24 cause like 80% of the accidents that happen, but still somewhat steryotyping.

how do you know? from experience?

it's not stereotyping, it's STATISTICS. and also, it's testosterone. the stuff just clouds the mind. sorry bud, but until you get a bit older, you just will not understand and no amount of talk will convince you either. I know... from EXPERIENCE.

you're gonna feel like the coolest, hottest shit at school and gonna wanna show off your stuff.

hopefully, you will NOT:
1) wreck your car
2) wreck into someone else's car
3) run into a pedestrian
4) kill someone doing any (or all) of the above
5) kill yourself doing any (or all) of the above

frankly, your parents should have their heads examined for allowing you to have such a high powered vehicle... EVEN IF YOU PAID FOR THE WHOLE THING YOURSELF (which you're not)... you just cannot understand what a dangerous combination testosterone, youth, and high powered vehicles are until you've matured enough (and the testosterone has died down, frankly).

I doubt you'll find any mature adult male (30+) who had a sporty car in HS (or just about any car for that matter) who doesn't look back at some of the truly stupid crazy stuff he did and shakes his head. I had a sporty car (cherry red '85 AE86, sunroof, leather, etc.) and I'm guilty of having done some truly stupid shit and I thank God I didn't kill myself or anyone else.

(and now... by the way... I haven't had a ticket in 10 yrs... and I'm 30... go figure...)

IMO high school kids driving ANY kind of vehicle is already a sketchy proposition, but due to numerous factors in our modern day society (time constraints of the parents preventing them from always ferrying the kids around, these kids having to get to their jobs, etc...) a group of the population that is KNOWN to be SIGNIFICANTLY more dangerous on the road is allowed onto our roadways.

couple that with a high-powered vehicle...

best of luck

$.02
Old 11-14-2004, 08:14 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OoH_CoW,Nov 14 2004, 10:54 AM
its true that kids 16-24 cause like 80% of the accidents that happen, but still somewhat steryotyping.
Hmmm I wonder why?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by 2002S2K,Nov 14 2004, 10:12 AM
Ooh Cow, I see your point, but there will be that day when you are taunted to go faster by a cute girl, peer pressure, etc. etc. and if you don't have the experience you are going to have a problem.

Also realize that in the winter you will need separate tires for any of those cars and I hope your parents realize that if they are paying insurance, it will probably be more than the price of the car.

If I were you I would get a car like I did for my 1st, a Porsche 944, it handles great, is a wonderful car, but it has under 200hp, 170 I think, so it allows you to enjoy driving but at the same time you can not push the limits quite as quick as you could in any of the cars you listed.
Gotta agree with this one...

If you want a sporty rear drive car, I'd say a 944 non-turbo is a great first car. A Miata might be a good one too other than the fact that if you wreck it you'll probably die because it's so small. A non-turbo Supra wouldn't be a bad one either or how about an older SC300 5-speed?

Anyway, dude, take our advice... unless you're Kimi and have a ton of experience in shifter karts or other such things, do yourself a favor and start slow...
Old 11-14-2004, 08:52 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OoH_CoW,Nov 14 2004, 06:54 AM
I'm currently 16 years old, just turned 2 days ago. This coming summer I, with the help of my parents, are buying a car. It's come down to either a brand new 2005 s2000, a 2003 z06 vette, Mitsubishi MR, or if I can find a reasonably priced '93-'97 supra.
This sounds like a joke, but in case it's true... (take some advice from an older guy)

1) Be careful esp in the rain. You can go round and round before you know it.
2) If it's snowing you should have snow tires. Even if it's not snowing "summer" tires suck in cold so I'd get a set of snows or all seasons if your temp gets down below 40.
3) Don't race (that's dumb for any age group)
4) The only car you list with traction control (TC) is the Z06.
5) may want to add a used 330i/530i to the list they're "safer cars" IMO.
6) Drive a lot as much as you can (maybe with your parents) before you get your fast cars. -practice makes perfect.
7) Forget all your flash cars you have listed and get a TSX or something cool but not too fast. You can always get a faster car later like when your 19.

good luck.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OoH_CoW,Nov 14 2004, 08:54 AM
Hey everyone, this is going to be my first post, I think. I've been lurking around the s2k forums for a while now reading about as much as I can. I'm currently 16 years old, just turned 2 days ago. This coming summer I, with the help of my parents, are buying a car. It's come down to either a brand new 2005 s2000, a 2003 z06 vette, Mitsubishi MR, or if I can find a reasonably priced '93-'97 supra.

The fact is, I think that if you pay for your own car you are less likely to crash it, due to the factor that you payed for it and if you wreck it, it's gone. I am paying half the price of whatever car I get, plus gas. I am fortunate enough to have parents willing to pay half and my insurance. At the age of 15 and 16, It's really hard even to make the 15-16 thousand i need, but it's possible. its true that kids 16-24 cause like 80% of the accidents that happen, but still somewhat steryotyping.

There's a reason it's hard for a KID at the age of 15-16 to make $40k a year.

I love the justification they all use and it's always the same. "Well I'm going to be paying x amount of dollars but my mommy and daddy are going to be paying the rest PLUS all of my insurance". What is a kid supposed to learn when their parents pick up the bill on the most expensive part of owning a car...especially a sports car?

It's funny how when the older folk state common sense it somehow gets morphed in to "hating". Why does it never fail that these 16 year olds always pick the most powerful RWD cars as their entrance in to the driving world? Geee....could it be about image? Could it be that they want their peers to see them in it and say "wow...that guy is so cool"? Could it be that they're typical teenagers, thinking they already know everything, rolling their eyes at all the people telling them from experience and saying "aww man you're just jealous and hating because you couldn't have this kind of car at 16".

It's always the same; nothing ever changes.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:36 AM

Friends of the family got their son the Evo VIII early this year...Only 16 years and just got his license...Well, a month later, he totaled it...Luckily, he wasn't hurt but he said he wasn't aware that he was going 100 miles/hr Anyway, so they decide to buy him another one!!! Just hope he learned his lesson the first time.

I'm just glad no one was hurt and as tritium_pie mentioned, it's not stereotyping, it's statistics.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Loving this thread, giving me some insight on how to handle my kids when then come of age
Old 11-14-2004, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Nov 14 2004, 09:52 AM
1) Be careful esp in the rain. You can go round and round before you know it.
rai speaks the truth, if nothing else take this point to heart. Wet roads are pure evil. It doesn't matter if it's a high performance car, an econobox, with or without abs and traction control, high performance wet traction tires, rwd, fwd, or awd...a wet road can and will bite you in the ass. Snow and Ice are bad but everyone knows they are very slick and typically act accordingly. Wet roads are deceptive, cars will tend to stick on wet roads fairly well....that is, until they don't stick. Once that happens, short of a fantastic display of driving skill, you'll either get to see 1) how well your Evo's (or insert other here) AWD system is at pulling itself out of a ditch, 2) how good your cell phone's reception is in the area you wrecked while calling a tow truck, or 3) lie broken and bleeding off the side of the road.

Of course if you (or similar others reading this) are the stereotypical teen you'll read this and it will go in one ear and out the other. All the while your probably thinking or will reply with "Yeah, sure...I do understand it's hazardous, but I'll be careful." No, you don't understand, whatever speed you think is safe on a wet road, knock 10 more mph off of it and you'll probably be in the ballpark.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:59 AM

posts like these sadden me

Quick Reply: 19 year old kid gets EVO MR...