Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

14' Ford Fusion Ecobosst Vs Honda Accord V6

Old 11-11-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

I owned a 2006 Ford Fusion, and it was a great car. I never had a single defect or warranty claim with it, and it was rock solid reliable despite me piling the miles on it. You need to the get the cars loaded with comfort and convenience features to make them any good though, a base model just doesn't cut it, and always get the leather seating option, their cloth seats plain suck. I haven't looked a the mechanicals of the new Fusion, can't you get them with a V6 option ?. On my Ford Explore I went with the NA v6 over the Ecoboost as they just seem like a better long term powertrain. My Ford naturally aspirated motors have always had great fuel economy, not sure about their turbo motors though.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Only turbo engines on the Fusion now - 1.6L or 2.0L EcoBoost.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for the Mazda6!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Doesn't the base Fusion come with a NA 2.5L? Pretty sure it does.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you care about luxury, check out the acura RL
Old 11-11-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena' timestamp='1384185660' post='22871591
You did the right thing with back to back drives. Buy the one you like, they will be comparable as far as reliability and economy.
Except they won't and aren't. The EcoBoost motors have been way less efficient for most people than the EPA rates them whereas the Honda has met or exceeded its ratings. The Honda is normally aspirated with way less to go wrong with it, which is a virtual guarantee of better reliability for the drivetrain in the future. Ford has had a number of issues with the lower-level EcoBoost models, though more with the 1.6L than the 2.0L (you can get either in the Fusion). Neither one is quick and neither one feels that good. Honestly, the EcoBoost 2.0L is a horrible choice for the Fusion - slower, less efficient and more complicated than the Accord V6.

I like the front of the Fusion better than the Accord but the overall styling, in person, wasn't nearly as good as pictures. The car is somewhat slabsided. The Accord, on the other hand, looked better in person than in pictures and its styling will hold up better (in my opinion).

I'd take the Mazda 6 over the Fusion, honestly - it's a simpler car, looks great and has decent pep for a 4-cylinder. I'd still take the Accord over all of them, though. The Ford drives a little better (feels more polished) and the Mazda handles a little better (sportier) but the Accord total package is still the best, in my opinion.

I wouldn't even look at a Kia or Hyundai as they are near the end of their lifecycle, are slower and less efficient and generally well behind the class leaders at this point. The only nice thing might be that you get a better deal on them, though everyone is dealing on their cars right now so it's probably not worth the slight price difference.
Couldn't agree more. Tubro's are a weak link over 200K.

Reason EPA vs realworld is so different is the turbo takes getting used to. I own my first turbo'd car and the mid-range boost profile keeps me deep on the throttle and I return poor MPG. The N/A profile makes you work to burn more fuel. I can be cruising along in the Legacy and go from 22mpg to 5mpg and not come out of gear.

Originally Posted by JFUSION
I owned a 2006 Ford Fusion, and it was a great car. I never had a single defect or warranty claim with it, and it was rock solid reliable despite me piling the miles on it. You need to the get the cars loaded with comfort and convenience features to make them any good though, a base model just doesn't cut it, and always get the leather seating option, their cloth seats plain suck. I haven't looked a the mechanicals of the new Fusion, can't you get them with a V6 option ?. On my Ford Explore I went with the NA v6 over the Ecoboost as they just seem like a better long term powertrain. My Ford naturally aspirated motors have always had great fuel economy, not sure about their turbo motors though.
The fact is however that Honda vs. Ford on reliability and cost per mile don't compete in the same league. Ford does build good cars in the domestic space they operate but they're far from being able to be match by Japanese cars made state side. The QC just isn't there. It's come a long way dont get me wrong.

Ecoboost is a great way to get power but I've mentioned the problems already.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1384207514' post='22872327
Doesn't the base Fusion come with a NA 2.5L? Pretty sure it does.
You're absolutely right. Missed that. At 22/34 mpg, though, it gets roughly the same fuel economy as Honda's big V6 for fuel economy but is down over 100 hp. It's not that modern of an engine, all things considered.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I like the looks of the Fusion better, but if it were my money, Accord V6.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdelena' timestamp='1384185660' post='22871591
You did the right thing with back to back drives. Buy the one you like, they will be comparable as far as reliability and economy.
Except they won't and aren't. The EcoBoost motors have been way less efficient for most people than the EPA rates them whereas the Honda has met or exceeded its ratings. The Honda is normally aspirated with way less to go wrong with it, which is a virtual guarantee of better reliability for the drivetrain in the future. Ford has had a number of issues with the lower-level EcoBoost models, though more with the 1.6L than the 2.0L (you can get either in the Fusion). Neither one is quick and neither one feels that good. Honestly, the EcoBoost 2.0L is a horrible choice for the Fusion - slower, less efficient and more complicated than the Accord V6.

I like the front of the Fusion better than the Accord but the overall styling, in person, wasn't nearly as good as pictures. The car is somewhat slabsided. The Accord, on the other hand, looked better in person than in pictures and its styling will hold up better (in my opinion).

I'd take the Mazda 6 over the Fusion, honestly - it's a simpler car, looks great and has decent pep for a 4-cylinder. I'd still take the Accord over all of them, though. The Ford drives a little better (feels more polished) and the Mazda handles a little better (sportier) but the Accord total package is still the best, in my opinion.

I wouldn't even look at a Kia or Hyundai as they are near the end of their lifecycle, are slower and less efficient and generally well behind the class leaders at this point. The only nice thing might be that you get a better deal on them, though everyone is dealing on their cars right now so it's probably not worth the slight price difference.
You are correct about the Ecoboost engines not giving EPA numbers in the real world. I picked up a 13' Escape with 2.0 Ecoboost and have yet to break into the 30mpg mark. I will have to test drive the Mazda 6.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob-2
The Honda is cheaper per mile to operate and only beat by Toyota.

The more miles you plan to keep them, and if outside warranty, buy the Honda. Ford is good on the domestic side but it's not rock solid reliable.

That said the fusion is a decent sedan. Very impressed with how ford put it together. Didn't like the fake leather and overly cheap feel of interior parts. An improvement over prior years.

Have you considered an Acura TSX? I would buy that over the accord for more features and luxury options. Feels sportier to me.
I feel like you comment would hold weight in the 90's. I worked at Honda for a couple of years in the late 2000's. You wouldn't believe all the problems cars were having left to right. TSB's, Recalls galore.

Quick Reply: 14' Ford Fusion Ecobosst Vs Honda Accord V6