Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

11 Supercars + Empty Airstrip = EPIC DRAG RACE!

Old 09-12-2011 | 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the article about the gt3
"I like the raspy idle, how the clutch rattles when you're stopped, the alarming amount of force you have to apply to the clutch pedal, how far you have to throw the shifter. It feels like how older enthusiasts talk about vintage 911s. It fights back! I respect that."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...#ixzz1XnXLNUc4
Imagine if the z06 had a clutch that rattled, a clutch that required an alarming amount of force and a long throw shifter. They would harp on it, but since it is the gt3 then it is Porsche paying homage. I may be looking into this too much but this article seems to have A LOT of bias.

I'm a huge corvette fan so I can't be totally unbiased either though
Old 09-12-2011 | 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love that of all cars the Boss came in so far towards the back.
Old 09-12-2011 | 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The R8 GT in the only picture that I can tell what tire its on is wearing a P-zero Corsa. (R-comp.)

So that makes at least four on "cheater tires".

Damn chevy for cheating!!!
Old 09-12-2011 | 09:23 PM

wow very nice race!
Old 09-12-2011 | 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Did you sit in the laguna seca? it has literally no back seat and has r comps on it. Sorry but any car that has r comps on it is not a realistic car to drive on the street IMHO.

The 1M & cayman r would be much faster with r comps both in a 1/4 mile and track. Add a cheap tune to the 1M and you will def kill the boss.
my car sits on r comps and i drive it every day. i even rented it out to a guy and his wife for 3 days and they put 250 miles on it. I don't know where you live, but it's realistic here...
Old 09-12-2011 | 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by luder_5555
And maybe someone who has been to that track with a high powered car can correct me, But the difference between the PS2 (road tire for Z06) and the PS cup (optional sticky rubber) would only be about 2-3 seconds. So it would still be damn near the top of the list time wise.
To be honest if RA1s or R888s fit my car it would be wearing those for track tires. they have a softer sidewall then the cup tires, but they have more grip. It sounded like from what they described the cup tires on the Z06 were even bigger 'cheater' then normal cup tires. I don't know about that. I have never seen a custom cup tire, but maybe they exist.

ACR Tires

All the cup tires look pretty much the same to me....
Old 09-12-2011 | 10:33 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1315867669' post='20966520

Did you sit in the laguna seca? it has literally no back seat and has r comps on it. Sorry but any car that has r comps on it is not a realistic car to drive on the street IMHO.

The 1M & cayman r would be much faster with r comps both in a 1/4 mile and track. Add a cheap tune to the 1M and you will def kill the boss.
my car sits on r comps and i drive it every day. i even rented it out to a guy and his wife for 3 days and they put 250 miles on it. I don't know where you live, but it's realistic here...
ok sorry in cali they are but most people in most areas do not consider r comps as street tires.

all I'm saying is that you can't compare cars of similar speed with totally different tires on them. aka the boss 302 LS against the evora s, cayman r & 1M. Put r comps on them all and than run.
Old 09-13-2011 | 05:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by s2kpdx01' timestamp='1315893126' post='20967619
[quote name='s.hasan546' timestamp='1315867669' post='20966520']

ok sorry in cali they are but most people in most areas do not consider r comps as street tires.

all I'm saying is that you can't compare cars of similar speed with totally different tires on them. aka the boss 302 LS against the evora s, cayman r & 1M. Put r comps on them all and than run.
[/quote]
good point, but then again why would they even compare those cars in that broad of a price range right?
This test was "because they can", now if the cars were all had similar performance then yea I'd argue the tire compound.
Old 09-13-2011 | 06:52 AM

It's all about how much of a tire budget you have. You could prob. run R comps full time on a Miata for less than 911/Vette high-perf street tires would cost. I'm currently running R888's on my S2000, and they function perfectly fine on the street, just w/ a relatively short lifespan.
Old 09-13-2011 | 07:02 AM

All the cup tires look pretty much the same to me....
And they all have the same treadware. The ones on the vette are runflats, so you get a stiffer sidewall, but also about an extra bit of weight.

There are several cars that have an r-comp tire as either an option, or the only tire it comes on. It may not be practical to drive on every day, but then again, most of the cars that they come on would only be driven in the dry anyway.

From their last review of the 2012 gtr and Zo6 carbon you see that the zo6 carbon is already nearly as fast as the gtr when the Z06 was on the PS2 tires. (I think that it was on PS2's, I couldn't tell, and they never said, but I believe that it was before they started offering the z06 on cups.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzqmpQQfOs So putting the Z06 on Cup tires in this test would have made it faster. I am not saying that it is fair that some of the cars were on normal tires, but they test the cars in whatever spec the manufacturer gives it to them in. In reality anyone who owns one of these cars that is serious about tracking them is going to put them on r-comps anyway. Heck you'd be silly to track the Z06 on anything but Hoosiers. They are the stickiest and cheapest tire you can get for the Z06.

Quick Reply: 11 Supercars + Empty Airstrip = EPIC DRAG RACE!