Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

11 Supercars + Empty Airstrip = EPIC DRAG RACE!

Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

So this little bit of fun is for 2011 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car. So that may answer some of the questions about why this car and not that car.

Pulled this from the article, "What makes a great driver's car? It's not brute performance or gut-wrenching grip. A great driver's car is about balance and finesse, about the quality of the interaction between man and machine. A great driver's car has the chassis and powertain and brakes and steering that enable the enthusiast driver to confidently explore the limits of its performance envelope on the track, yet remains engaging and entertaining when driven on the road. A great driver's car doesn't dare you to tame it; instead, it helps you maximize your potential."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...#ixzz1XmB5TDfi
Old 09-12-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1315859437' post='20966040
ehh for the price of some of those cars id rather buy a slightly used Viper SRT 10 (will keep up with all of those cars with the right driver) and a 1M for a DD.
Interesting, I chuckled a little when I saw the 1M. But then again... it was a test of the "best driver cars" (even if the thread title is misleading with "supercar" in it)
The 1M is in the race b.c it's in the same league as the boss 302, evora s, and cayman r. Honestly I'm not too crazy about the boss since it's a stripped track car with r comps on it. Put r comps on the cayman r or 1m and ull get a much better 1/4 mile and road course time.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw an S2k turbo into the mix.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by Driven' timestamp='1315859704' post='20966062
[quote name='s.hasan546' timestamp='1315859437' post='20966040']
ehh for the price of some of those cars id rather buy a slightly used Viper SRT 10 (will keep up with all of those cars with the right driver) and a 1M for a DD.
Interesting, I chuckled a little when I saw the 1M. But then again... it was a test of the "best driver cars" (even if the thread title is misleading with "supercar" in it)
The 1M is in the race b.c it's in the same league as the boss 302, evora s, and cayman r. Honestly I'm not too crazy about the boss since it's a stripped track car with r comps on it. Put r comps on the cayman r or 1m and ull get a much better 1/4 mile and road course time.
[/quote]
Don't know why you think the Boas is stripped. I sat in one Saturday and it had all the usual stuff except for navigation, which I don't believe you can get.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Interestingly if you read the full article they really blasted the 1M for being a poor handling car on the race track. And said it's brakes started fading after one lap

The Z06 was claimed to have "cheater" tires though it's not really the car's fault that Chevy offers them as an option. Still, shaved tires as a factory option? LMAO. They also hated the Corvette's seats. Luckily better seats are one of the changes for 2012
Sadly they tested the 2012 centennial edition, which already comes with the upgraded seats.

So pretty much the new anticipated seats still suck incredible ass. That's a grim prospect.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Slithr
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1315863673' post='20966359
[quote name='Driven' timestamp='1315859704' post='20966062']
[quote name='s.hasan546' timestamp='1315859437' post='20966040']
[/quote]
Don't know why you think the Boas is stripped. I sat in one Saturday and it had all the usual stuff except for navigation, which I don't believe you can get.
[/quote]

Did you sit in the laguna seca? it has literally no back seat and has r comps on it. Sorry but any car that has r comps on it is not a realistic car to drive on the street IMHO.

The 1M & cayman r would be much faster with r comps both in a 1/4 mile and track. Add a cheap tune to the 1M and you will def kill the boss.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great find
Old 09-12-2011, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the Z06 is garbage because it comes with optional Pilot sport Cup tires, and has seats that are more comfortable than they are sporty? IDK about you guys but if I had any of these cars and was going to be in a position to push them hard enough to break traction (this means that I am most likely at the track) I would have race rubber and a race seat. I realize that they are testing "street" cars, but at least 3 of the cars here had "R-comps", and many of the other cars had tires that are damn near r-comps. (I am using the standard 100tw rating or lower as r-comp, which is normally the cutoff between street and race tires for classing)

And maybe someone who has been to that track with a high powered car can correct me, But the difference between the PS2 (road tire for Z06) and the PS cup (optional sticky rubber) would only be about 2-3 seconds. So it would still be damn near the top of the list time wise.

And asking one more favor, can anyone verify what tires the other cars were one? I know that the GTR wasn't on r-comps, but I would assume that the R8-GT, 458, gt3rs, stang, and possibly the cayman R were on rubber as or nearly as aggressive as the Z06. (which they never said was shaved, they said that there was very little tread, and that part of it had no tread. (could have been shaved, could have been burn off by hooligan testers.)
Old 09-12-2011, 04:28 PM

LOL, I thought the Cayman, baby Beamer, and Evora were out of their league before I watched the video. The poor Lotus! LFA was well back too. Surprise there.

And the amazing thing is that the winner is not only NOT the most expensive car, it is also the ugliest car. Well, to be fair, the BMW and the LFA gave it a run for the ugly money.

The R8 took Godzilla by about 10 feet on the launch. Another surprise. Weight?

Mustang did very well for a yestertech car with a $40K price tag.

But the damned Ferrari.....the sound.....the looks.....
Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by luder_5555
So the Z06 is garbage because it comes with optional Pilot sport Cup tires, and has seats that are more comfortable than they are sporty? IDK about you guys but if I had any of these cars and was going to be in a position to push them hard enough to break traction (this means that I am most likely at the track) I would have race rubber and a race seat. I realize that they are testing "street" cars, but at least 3 of the cars here had "R-comps", and many of the other cars had tires that are damn near r-comps. (I am using the standard 100tw rating or lower as r-comp, which is normally the cutoff between street and race tires for classing)

And maybe someone who has been to that track with a high powered car can correct me, But the difference between the PS2 (road tire for Z06) and the PS cup (optional sticky rubber) would only be about 2-3 seconds. So it would still be damn near the top of the list time wise.

And asking one more favor, can anyone verify what tires the other cars were one? I know that the GTR wasn't on r-comps, but I would assume that the R8-GT, 458, gt3rs, stang, and possibly the cayman R were on rubber as or nearly as aggressive as the Z06. (which they never said was shaved, they said that there was very little tread, and that part of it had no tread. (could have been shaved, could have been burn off by hooligan testers.)
I agree. The gt3rs is pretty much the same tire; just not a run flat. The mustang's tire has a lower wear rating than either of the two other tires but it could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Still, the mustang tire is in the same class as the corvette tire but they choose to call the vette a cheater for wearing them.
Vette tire
gt3rs tire
Mustang tire

Quick Reply: 11 Supercars + Empty Airstrip = EPIC DRAG RACE!