Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

10th gen Civic, Si / Type R coming to US

Old 04-10-2015, 06:11 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I think the reason people like me aren't so thrilled about this civic is because it's ugly and late. I don't doubt it'll be quick, but the Focus RS appears to be more car just around the corner, better looks and AWD.

I had a love affair with Honda in the 90s and early 00s. Then they stripped their line up of sports cars. Right now they don't offer a single sports car. I don't consider the Civic SI at sports car.

Now the new cars coming don't look interesting to me to own. They don't seem to understand the market or me as a car buyer. When v6s putting out 270-300hp were new, fine I could live without more power but Honda is stuck in a time warp.

Sure, the NSX a will have more power but I saw that ad years ago and the last one caught on fire. So we shall see how the first production run goes. I am not holding my breath.

There is no mid-sized sport car in development. There is no real s2k replacement, they aren't offering manuals in the acura lineup anymore.

The prototypes I am seeing look like they are straight from a cartoon book. Their buyers have grown up a tad. You won't see my hauling my family in a civic type R or showing up to work in one. It's not enough car.

This is all from a guy who's met with Honda folks several times, been to events and taken party as an S owner in an Indy event. We talked about things in dev and they don't me not to loose hope that they were working on cars I would love. I was happily waiting to buy the NSX, no joke, and I was willing for Honda to wait out the recession. But while they slept, others are making killer cars.

Ford, dodge, Porsche, Nissian and GM all made sizable leaps in areas of their line up. The Honda lineup looks the same as 5 years ago to me. Less the TL/TLX change. We did buy an MDX a but not the newest as it got the ugly stick.

Honda doesn't show up to car meets. Honda doesn't get active with their customers anymore. Honda lied to me about what they were producing. Fact is they are no longer a cut above everyone else.

That's a long rant but there were a few people wondering why the Honda hate on a Honda forum. It's not really hate, they make great passenger cars and minivans. They haven't made a new sports car in over 15 years. That's pathetic and so are their newest attempts!

What I feel is sadness. They don't make cars I want to own. The soul they had died long ago
Old 04-10-2015, 06:15 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Nope.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Sure, the NSX a will have more power but I saw that ad years ago and the last one caught on fire. So we shall see how the first production run goes. I am not holding my breath.
C'mon - 911 GT3s burned on the street for a while, as did Ferrari 458s and the occasional Lambo as well. Stuff happens, especially in prototypes and early production cars. The LaFerrari had to have its gas tank replaced on all production cars.

There is no mid-sized sport car in development. There is no real s2k replacement, they aren't offering manuals in the acura lineup anymore.
Actually, insider info says there is a MR S2000 replacement that will arrive in 2017. The S1000 (bigger version of S660 they just released) will come out next year but isn't a true S2000 successor. The MR replacement will compare to a Cayman in design intent and performance.

So, maybe that'll give you some hope.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the reason people like me aren't so thrilled about this civic is because it's ugly and late. I don't doubt it'll be quick, but the Focus RS appears to be more car just around the corner, better looks and AWD.

I had a love affair with Honda in the 90s and early 00s. Then they stripped their line up of sports cars. Right now they don't offer a single sports car. I don't consider the Civic SI at sports car.

Now the new cars coming don't look interesting to me to own. They don't seem to understand the market or me as a car buyer. When v6s putting out 270-300hp were new, fine I could live without more power but Honda is stuck in a time warp.

The prototypes I am seeing look like they are straight from a cartoon book. Their buyers have grown up a tad. You won't see my hauling my family in a civic type R or showing up to work in one. It's not enough car.

This is all from a guy who's met with Honda folks several times, been to events and taken party as an S owner in an Indy event. We talked about things in dev and they don't me not to loose hope that they were working on cars I would love. I was happily waiting to buy the NSX, no joke, and I was willing for Honda to wait out the recession. But while they slept, others are making killer cars.

Ford, dodge, Porsche, Nissian and GM all made sizable leaps in areas of their line up. The Honda lineup looks the same as 5 years ago to me. Less the TL/TLX change. We did buy an MDX a but not the newest as it got the ugly stick.

Honda doesn't show up to car meets. Honda doesn't get active with their customers anymore. Honda lied to me about what they were producing. Fact is they are no longer a cut above everyone else.

That's a long rant but there were a few people wondering why the Honda hate on a Honda forum. It's not really hate, they make great passenger cars and minivans. They haven't made a new sports car in over 15 years. That's pathetic and so are their newest attempts!

What I feel is sadness. They don't make cars I want to own. The soul they had died long ago
Oh, cry cry cry and cry....so sad. Too bad, you made up your mind to not enjoy a great car. Btw, one should not judge a car company negatively just because their car burn down in testing stage. Fortunately for you, there should be enough S2000s out there so you can keep buying and drive S2000 for the rest of your life.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Until you know what tires they were using, it doesn't make much sense to measure the time against competitors.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:41 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
Originally Posted by S2020' timestamp='1428361162' post='23568818
I just don't see CTR being 10 sec off GT4 lap times. that's faster than a lot of exotics just from 5 years ago.
It's not my claim, that's just Honda's official time (proven) and Porsche's claim on time for their GT4.

The Civic beats the original GT-R R35's time on the ring as well. This car is fast.
I don't care what Honda claim. I believe it when I see it. Porsche's claim is a whole lot more believable.
Honda's? Not so much.

GT4 claimed time is 7:40.
So the Civic's time is 7:50 - on a track that favors horse power due to longs straights.
that means the Civic beats: 2008 GTR, 997TT, C5Z06, F430, NSXR, Viper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times
Old 04-10-2015, 11:02 AM

You can see it any time you want - they have video that's been posted. The Renault Magane RS275 Trophy R did a 7:54 so it's not like it's "unreasonable" to set a time like that.

GT4 time is claimed, not real, and yet you're willing to accept that? Doesn't make much sense to me to ignore video and take the word of Porsche on what they think the GT4 will do.

Tires have come a long way. The Type R has a TON of aero improvements over most of those cars you listed, plus it's got all the new engine improvements that give way more power under the curve for a 300+ hp car. An NSX-R made less peak hp, way less torque and the power curve is completely different (ie, inferior) AND it had way older technology (brakes, especially).
Old 04-10-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Until you know what tires they were using, it doesn't make much sense to measure the time against competitors.
Exactly.

I can guarantee the tires are certainly not what you'll find on the production car. Nor the roll cage, missing passenger seat, A/C, stereo and I am sure more stuff...
Old 04-10-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I generally agree with all that but I think it's interesting that one place Honda really is showing up is in SCCA formula cars. A few years back Honda went after Formula Ford. FF has always been a great, entry level formula. However, the old Ford Kent motors were well beyond their expiration dates. However, Ford didn't seem to have any thing in the US inventory that was no bigger/heavier than the old Kent and produced 116hp. Honda, on their own, took the old but still very popular Swift DB-1 (really one of the greatest race cars of all time) and popped in a Fit motor AND made an install kit for sale. They helped SCCA get the car legalized as an alternative to the Ford motor. They also helped other manufactures with technical information so they could put the Fit motor in their cars. If you look at the US F1600 championship series and last year's FF Runoffs winner, they are Honda powered "Formula Fords".

It really seems ironic that Honda on one hand was giving the road car buyer so little of interest while they were working quite hard and effectively to update motors in purpose built SCCA cars.

Anyway, I agree, I wouldn't want to drive a car that looks like the new Civic even if I'm willing to drive the Civic. I want a Q-ship sort of upgrade. Good motor (but doesn't need to be Corvette fast), great brakes and handling but preferably tires that will last 30,000 miles, not 10k. Mazda, with the Miata, understands that a great driving car is more than just numbers. Ford figured that out with the Contour SVT and Focus SVT. I would be be very inclinded to buy a 5 door Civic Si if Honda shows they understand this. The show car suggests they don't.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
You can see it any time you want - they have video that's been posted. The Renault Magane RS275 Trophy R did a 7:54 so it's not like it's "unreasonable" to set a time like that.

GT4 time is claimed, not real, and yet you're willing to accept that? Doesn't make much sense to me to ignore video and take the word of Porsche on what they think the GT4 will do.

Tires have come a long way. The Type R has a TON of aero improvements over most of those cars you listed, plus it's got all the new engine improvements that give way more power under the curve for a 300+ hp car. An NSX-R made less peak hp, way less torque and the power curve is completely different (ie, inferior) AND it had way older technology (brakes, especially).
well.. the GT4 has an engine from the 911. Rated at nearly 400HP. It has various aero aids making it faster than the Cayman S. The time may be optimistic but it's believable.
The Civic has a claim. As LegalBill mentioned, it was not a production model - with deleted seats, cage, etc. Let's see a Civic from the showroom floor beat 8 minutes. I will be the first to admit I am wrong if it's true but I don't think that will pass.

Quick Reply: 10th gen Civic, Si / Type R coming to US