Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

10th gen Civic, Si / Type R coming to US

Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had thought the CTR time was done with a very non production car (roll cage, no equipment, etc). That was previously stated in this thread I believe. Let's see what an actual "production CTR does. Regardless, I have absolutely zero interest in this car unfortunately.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
Originally Posted by S2020' timestamp='1428361162' post='23568818
I just don't see CTR being 10 sec off GT4 lap times. that's faster than a lot of exotics just from 5 years ago.
It's not my claim, that's just Honda's official time (proven) and Porsche's claim on time for their GT4.

The Civic beats the original GT-R R35's time on the ring as well. This car is fast.
porsche was the one that said the GTR(r35) did 7:54 and nissan had to make a statement video of them doing 7:28
Old 04-07-2015, 06:36 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
I had thought the CTR time was done with a very non production car (roll cage, no equipment, etc). That was previously stated in this thread I believe. Let's see what an actual "production CTR does. Regardless, I have absolutely zero interest in this car unfortunately.
Cage added for safety with commensurate weight drop of other components (A/C) to keep weight at production levels. Very common and standard for 'Ring cars. A crash on the 'Ring is not something you want to experience in a vehicle without a roll cage, especially with the speeds they're hitting these days.

It wasn't a "stripped" car, though, in that they pulled a bunch of weight from it to make it faster.

http://jalopnik.com/honda-says-a-civ...d-n-1689142579

Though the Civic used was a development prototype, Honda says it had "a standard state of engine tune, with suspension, drivetrain, exhaust, brakes and the aerodynamic package identical to those of the production Civic Type R." It dumped the air conditioning and added a roll cage, but otherwise that was it. The tires come from "a major European tire manufacturer"; Honda left that information specifically vague
For those doubting the time, Honda has actual video of the entire lap. Pretty hard to dispute the time. Cars are getting so much faster these days, thanks to improved tires, better engine power curves (similar peak power but more torque across the range) and improved aero. It's not just the CTR - there are a ton of "normal" (ish) cars that are faster than exotics and serious sports cars from five and ten years ago.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by LUV2REV' timestamp='1428378254' post='23569101
Cage added for safety with commensurate weight drop of other components (A/C) to keep weight at production levels. Very common and standard for 'Ring cars. A crash on the 'Ring is not something you want to experience in a vehicle without a roll cage, especially with the speeds they're hitting these days.

It wasn't a "stripped" car, though, in that they pulled a bunch of weight from it to make it faster.

http://jalopnik.com/honda-says-a-civ...d-n-1689142579

Though the Civic used was a development prototype, Honda says it had "a standard state of engine tune, with suspension, drivetrain, exhaust, brakes and the aerodynamic package identical to those of the production Civic Type R." It dumped the air conditioning and added a roll cage, but otherwise that was it. The tires come from "a major European tire manufacturer"; Honda left that information specifically vague
For those doubting the time, Honda has actual video of the entire lap. Pretty hard to dispute the time. Cars are getting so much faster these days, thanks to improved tires, better engine power curves (similar peak power but more torque across the range) and improved aero. It's not just the CTR - there are a ton of "normal" (ish) cars that are faster than exotics and serious sports cars from five and ten years ago.
It is still a "development" car that had no ancillary equipment nor a front passenger seat (and who knows what else as Honda did not divulge). Too many caveats IMO. Honda claims the cage made up for the removed weight but did not state that a cage also inherently stiffens the chassis and changes driving dynamics. The biggest question mark is the tires. Nobody knows what tires they used (slicks, RC's ??) as they did not say. Tires can make a huge difference in performance as we all know.

I do not dispute the time, I just don't believe the actual production version will be able to duplicate this time by a margin. This car is still a test mule through and through. To me, this is simply Honda propaganda trying to sell a car prior to production.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Agreed^
Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
It is still a "development" car that had no ancillary equipment nor a front passenger seat (and who knows what else as Honda did not divulge). Too many caveats IMO. Honda claims the cage made up for the removed weight but did not state that a cage also inherently stiffens the chassis and changes driving dynamics. The biggest question mark is the tires. Nobody knows what tires they used (slicks, RC's ??) as they did not say. Tires can make a huge difference in performance as we all know.
They didn't state it stiffens the car because it's obvious. As I said, this is common practice for 'Ring cars so if you want to ding Honda, ding the rest of them that do it as well.

The car was the same weight and the weight is also higher up with a cage, so if you're poking at Honda for "improving" the car, also recognize that it isn't all an improvement. A/C and a seat have relatively low CGs and a cage is fairly high up.

More to the point, their FWD competitors did the same thing so it's at least apples-to-apples with those cars.

I do not dispute the time, I just don't believe the actual production version will be able to duplicate this time by a margin. This car is still a test mule through and through. To me, this is simply Honda propaganda trying to sell a car prior to production.
We'll see. Sounds like you're making them into Ferrari - only the factory-prepped cars are that fast.

It's "propaganda" because it's Honda, not because they're any different from anyone else, if you were to be honest about it. Every automaker puts out claims and records and such prior to the release of vehicles. Honda is nothing different or special or wrong in this regard.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^agreed. I don't understand all the hate from a Honda forum. Lol
Old 04-07-2015, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by LUV2REV' timestamp='1428420176' post='23569576
They didn't state it stiffens the car because it's obvious. As I said, this is common practice for 'Ring cars so if you want to ding Honda, ding the rest of them that do it as well.

The car was the same weight and the weight is also higher up with a cage, so if you're poking at Honda for "improving" the car, also recognize that it isn't all an improvement. A/C and a seat have relatively low CGs and a cage is fairly high up.

More to the point, their FWD competitors did the same thing so it's at least apples-to-apples with those cars.

We'll see. Sounds like you're making them into Ferrari - only the factory-prepped cars are that fast.

It's "propaganda" because it's Honda, not because they're any different from anyone else, if you were to be honest about it. Every automaker puts out claims and records and such prior to the release of vehicles. Honda is nothing different or special or wrong in this regard.
We will all get a conclusive answer in due time when an actual production version is tested (likely this summer). Again, this is a caged development car with equipment taken out and many other unknowns, particularly tires. The time is irrelevant regardless of how quick it is due to the aforementioned. If an actual production version with no modifications can match this time, hats off to Honda. I know where I would put my betting money however
Old 04-07-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

I'll honestly be more interested in seeing what kind of time a Type R could lay down at an event like Car and Driver's Lightning Lap over at VIR. Because of course the big question on everyone's mind is, will it be faster than the Cobalt SS?
Old 04-07-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, no Type R until 2017-2018 or maybe even later

http://www.civicx.com/threads/2017-2...ot-earlier.21/

Quick Reply: 10th gen Civic, Si / Type R coming to US