Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

10th gen Civic, Si / Type R coming to US

Old 04-16-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ouhei
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80' timestamp='1429138505' post='23579338
Forgive the confusion/ignorance. So to clarify, will the white body style CTR only be available this year for Europe only? And the green body style will be the next CTR iteration that will be sold in both markets? I wonder if the next gen CTR will get an even more impressive engine.
Correct, kind of. The green Civic is the concept for the 10th gen Civic coupe, it is not assigned to any trim level. The next CTR will be on the same platform as the green concept car, but it hasn't been stated what body style the next CTR will come in. Since the 10th gen civic will be a global platform, and the current CTR is a 5 door hatch with a TON of R&D in it; I would guess that the next CTR will be in a sedan/5 door hatch form (with a chance that you can buy it in any body style, but that's slim).

The new CTR has years worth of R&D behind it, and if they're planning on bringing out a CTR trim within the next 2 years for the 10th gen, you can bet it will borrow a lot from the current model.
Thanks for the clarify. That stellar Ring time was tested using the 9th gen CTR; I wonder how the time and driving dynamics would change using the same powertrain on a seemingly larger and possibly heavier 10th gen chassis. Please Honda, do away with the split instrumentation for the next gen Civics lol.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm not convinced the Type-R will be in the new body style. It's only just been developed (and not yet released) so I don't see them changing it all up for a new chassis. I think we'll get the same hatchback as everyone else.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Originally Posted by Ouhei' timestamp='1429188655' post='23579929
[quote name='s2kdriver80' timestamp='1429138505' post='23579338']
Forgive the confusion/ignorance. So to clarify, will the white body style CTR only be available this year for Europe only? And the green body style will be the next CTR iteration that will be sold in both markets? I wonder if the next gen CTR will get an even more impressive engine.
Correct, kind of. The green Civic is the concept for the 10th gen Civic coupe, it is not assigned to any trim level. The next CTR will be on the same platform as the green concept car, but it hasn't been stated what body style the next CTR will come in. Since the 10th gen civic will be a global platform, and the current CTR is a 5 door hatch with a TON of R&D in it; I would guess that the next CTR will be in a sedan/5 door hatch form (with a chance that you can buy it in any body style, but that's slim).

The new CTR has years worth of R&D behind it, and if they're planning on bringing out a CTR trim within the next 2 years for the 10th gen, you can bet it will borrow a lot from the current model.
Thanks for the clarify. That stellar Ring time was tested using the 9th gen CTR; I wonder how the time and driving dynamics would change using the same powertrain on a seemingly larger and possibly heavier 10th gen chassis. Please Honda, do away with the split instrumentation for the next gen Civics lol.
[/quote]
No way! The split gauges are fantastic while you're driving. I had an 09 Si and I miss those gauges.

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I'm not convinced the Type-R will be in the new body style. It's only just been developed (and not yet released) so I don't see them changing it all up for a new chassis. I think we'll get the same hatchback as everyone else.
While I agree with the development cost, you'd think bringing it here would be quicker if that was the case? Though if it made it as a 2017 model that would account for making it road legal here...
Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Honda released the 2016 RDX today - that means they could conceivably deliver a 2017 CTR in April of next year. I don't believe they're waiting for CY2017 but rather MY2017 (which occurs any time they want in 2016). It wouldn't make sense to do all that work and then throw it away for a "new" Type R. Takes too long to develop and the expenses are pretty crazy.

That said, they could just throw the turbo 2.0 motor in, do a slight suspension upgrade over the Si and call it a Type R, I guess? That would seem a waste of all their development time/dollars, though the 10th generation would probably look way better than the one they're releasing in a few months (purposeful but ugly, in my opinion).
Old 04-17-2015, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Honda released the 2016 RDX today - that means they could conceivably deliver a 2017 CTR in April of next year. I don't believe they're waiting for CY2017 but rather MY2017 (which occurs any time they want in 2016). It wouldn't make sense to do all that work and then throw it away for a "new" Type R. Takes too long to develop and the expenses are pretty crazy.

That said, they could just throw the turbo 2.0 motor in, do a slight suspension upgrade over the Si and call it a Type R, I guess? That would seem a waste of all their development time/dollars, though the 10th generation would probably look way better than the one they're releasing in a few months (purposeful but ugly, in my opinion).
I would love it if it came out next year, I'm looking to replace the BRZ with something in the next year or two, and the Focus RS has been high on my list. But the CTR (if they brought the soon to be released one over) would be mighty tempting as well. It's design is something that's really grown on me the more I look at it. Plus, one would assume it'll come in a bit cheaper than the RS, which would be nice.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Production drawings of the 2016 Civic coupe and sedan leaked!

http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-1...s-revealed.32/

Wrap around tail lights are here to stay, nice...
Old 04-19-2015, 09:01 PM

sorry if i missed this...but when is the type r supposed to be released and when can i place a down payment? i'm very tempted to sell my s2000 for one. thanks.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:07 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Am I the only one disappointed in the nose of this car? No idea why they decided to make the grille (and emblem) so upright. It looks stubby and out of place since the lower part of the front end needs to jut out to meet bumper size regulations.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MartyS
Production drawings of the 2016 Civic coupe and sedan leaked!

http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-1...s-revealed.32/

Wrap around tail lights are here to stay, nice...
The side profile drawing remind me of a crosstour which is not a good thing lol
Its nice to know there's a possibility of getting a turbo charged honda in the states but a type r to me is just hype until I see one at my showroom. I give it another year or two before I see a type r since honda is know to delay or make last minute changes
Old 04-21-2015, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ funny you mention Crosstour. The 5 door hatchback prototype has been spotted and it really looks like a Crosstour from the side

WTF happened to the classic wedge shape?! We finally get the hatch back and it looks like a sedan with a hatchack.

5 door spy pics - http://www.civicx.com/threads/spied-...-prototype.33/

Quick Reply: 10th gen Civic, Si / Type R coming to US