Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

10th gen Civic, Si / Type R coming to US

Old 04-15-2015, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Don't worry - you'll only get brief glimpses as it passes whatever you're driving.
Maybe around a tight winding road course that I'll never visit. My current car has around 400 whp. This car, in stock form, would see nothing but my tail lights from a dig, roll, or whatever.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off topic, but how is the focus ST. I know the Fusion drives like a German car sometimes. At the time of my car shopping, I was fixated on Wagons, or hatchbacks. Mazda 3 was too expension IMO for what it is. Volvo V60 wagon didn't come out to the market yet. BMW & Audi wagons are too expensive for my budget. Didn't thought about the ST since I wanted a Automatic. I hope Ford make a wagon. So I picked up a 2013 TSX wagon, been great so far.
[/quote]

It's actually been a really good car, I just turned 20k miles, I commute 110 miles a day so they add up fast. I always get 30 mpg as it's mostly hwy but it's easy to get good gas mileage and still have fun. You can also blow a tank pretty quick if your 'tracking' it. It handles better than an S2k stock for stock, it's got more pwr, 270 ft lbs of torque is sweet. It's like the power under the curve after I turboed my S2k (410 at the wheels) without the top end. I have 6 yo twins so needed a car that I could get all 4 of us in or probably would have gotten the FIST over the FOST. Interior is very nice for a mid $20k car, nicer than the TSX, seats are one of the best Recaros I've sat in. The other day on the way home a Challenger R/T was trying to get away from me and I think finally gave up in shame. He couldn't pull away from me and I was on his bumper hard through all corners. It was funny hearing his big V8 winding up without a whole lot of forward gain. He wouldn't look at me once we got to town. I'm less a straight line guy than a river road cruiser, usually my play is with sport bikes. I used the think my S2K was set up pretty much as hard as I could push a car through the corners on a public road. Lowered on KW V3's, 255/275 tires, alloy wheels. The ST stock will corner as fast or faster, I'll even give the e-brake a yank once in a while to get a drift going, weird drifting a FWD hatch. Cars aren't my main thing right now but if the RS is as well put together as this car at a decent price point I'll look at it. I really wasn't prepared to be so enamored with this car or what Ford is doing it's a great compromise of sport and utility for me. I'm also not afraid to put the kids in it and go to the beach for a weekend. It cleans up nice and isn't a car you cringe every time you get a new rock chip or the kids write on the side of it with mud.
One more thing. I was looking for a commuter car and my budget was $25k, the ST stickered at $32 so I didn't even look at if for a couple months. I actually drove a regular focus and liked it also. Then I saw my local dealer had an ST1 on special for around $26k. I went in and drove it then got an upgraded ST3 that was $32k for $26k. In my experience that was a pretty good mark down and afforded me more car than I expected for my $$.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80' timestamp='1428864638' post='23574979
Wait, so is the Type R version going to look like that green hot mess base Civic posted up top (obviously the Type R will have more aggressive bumpers, wheels, spoiler)... or more like what is shown in this link?

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/03/h...r-geneva-2015/

The body styling of the white one doesn't look as horrid. Perhaps the green body styling is how all of the stateside Civics will look like and the white for the rest of the world. Or hopefully the Type R will have that one body style for all markets.

The profile of that green Civic is reminiscent of an Accord and an old Tiburon with the high hood and goofy lines along the door sills. And the rear is a disaster IMO.
You're looking at 2 different generations of Civics, but the Type R is so late to the game that I don't blame you. The Type R that was unveiled at Geneva is based off of the current Civic generation (9) on a platform developed only for Europe. The 10th generation Civic (green concept car), is going to be a Civic developed for both sides of the Atlantic. And THAT platform will spawn a Type R version that will be sold in the US.
Forgive the confusion/ignorance. So to clarify, will the white body style CTR only be available this year for Europe only? And the green body style will be the next CTR iteration that will be sold in both markets? I wonder if the next gen CTR will get an even more impressive engine.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1428933852' post='23575773
And yet current estimates place the NSX's curb weight to be roughly 100 lbs lighter than the GTR. A roughly 3% difference, so is that the difference between huge and normal size?
Look at the dimensions of a GT-R, then get back to me to see the total context of my comment. In fact, let me make it easy for you: the NSXv2 is nearly identical to the original NSX in overall size. The GT-R makes an NSX look like a toy. Ergo, my comment about dimensions of the GT-R.

A Z06 weighs over 3500 lbs. Weights are going up across the board. It sucks but it's the way it is these days.

I think a lot of people gripe about this because in some shape or form Honda has been working on an NSX replacement for the better part of a decade. Most people don't care that they scraped the design 2-3 times and started over. It's still the "same" project.
People gripe because they have nothing better to do and aren't actually buying it. A bunch of internet warriors with no money and lots of time. Rather than focus on a successful return, they'd rather talk about how long it took. Seriously? That's what an enthusiast does - bemoan the time it took rather than celebrate the return?
Put your money where your mouth is. You're all talk. I put more then most families earn in a year into a car. That's putting my money where my mouth is. I'm an enthusiast, Honda has lost 'it' and it's sad.

/edit/ I'm not bragging I'm just saying you drive a $15k s2000 you cannot go around telling people who are willing to spend more to just wait until Honda finally gets around to producing something. You also cannot suggest that what they make is so much better when it's late, possibly more expensive and less performance than what is currently in the market place. If you consider why the NSX and S2k were initially successful it's because they offered great value, low cost leaders. NSX beat Italian cars. S2k better then Porsche/BMW for less money.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do u think not having Shigeru Uehara (one of the main developers of the ITR, NSX and S2k) is also one of the reasons for Hondas current slide or no?
Old 04-15-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY OH MY!

Check out Type R Coupe: http://www.civicx.com/threads/2017-2...envisioned.27/

Can someone please show this to Honda so they can make it

If a coupe type R came like that I would pick it over the 5-door hatch.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Forgive the confusion/ignorance. So to clarify, will the white body style CTR only be available this year for Europe only? And the green body style will be the next CTR iteration that will be sold in both markets? I wonder if the next gen CTR will get an even more impressive engine.
Correct, kind of. The green Civic is the concept for the 10th gen Civic coupe, it is not assigned to any trim level. The next CTR will be on the same platform as the green concept car, but it hasn't been stated what body style the next CTR will come in. Since the 10th gen civic will be a global platform, and the current CTR is a 5 door hatch with a TON of R&D in it; I would guess that the next CTR will be in a sedan/5 door hatch form (with a chance that you can buy it in any body style, but that's slim).

The new CTR has years worth of R&D behind it, and if they're planning on bringing out a CTR trim within the next 2 years for the 10th gen, you can bet it will borrow a lot from the current model.

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
Do u think not having Shigeru Uehara (one of the main developers of the ITR, NSX and S2k) is also one of the reasons for Hondas current slide or no?
Let's not act like Honda is down in the dumps or anything, they're still one of the top car manufacturers in the world and their sales are doing great. They're only really lacking in the performance category right now, and that's because making sports cars is expensive and we're just now coming out of a global economic slump in a lot of ways. It's hard to justify throwing development cash at cars that don't sell in large volumes with the global economy in the shitter.

Are they a little late getting back into the game? Sure.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:41 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Put your money where your mouth is. You're all talk. I put more then most families earn in a year into a car. That's putting my money where my mouth is. I'm an enthusiast, Honda has lost 'it' and it's sad.

/edit/ I'm not bragging I'm just saying you drive a $15k s2000 you cannot go around telling people who are willing to spend more to just wait until Honda finally gets around to producing something. You also cannot suggest that what they make is so much better when it's late, possibly more expensive and less performance than what is currently in the market place. If you consider why the NSX and S2k were initially successful it's because they offered great value, low cost leaders. NSX beat Italian cars. S2k better then Porsche/BMW for less money.
I drive a BMW Z4 M Coupe and a Chevy Silverado Z71 and my wife does indeed drive a Honda. Is that "all talk" or does it meet your standard for being allowed to express my opinion online?

Old 04-16-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MartyS
MY OH MY!

Check out Type R Coupe: http://www.civicx.com/threads/2017-2...envisioned.27/

Can someone please show this to Honda so they can make it

If a coupe type R came like that I would pick it over the 5-door hatch.
I'll take it!

Old 04-16-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Too bad the hoodline has to be so high due to safety regulations.

Delete the red-colored rims on the wheels, red trim along the bottom of the car, tidy up the ground effects, divert the exhaust tips to the sides, add rear fog in the middle. Get rid of the split RPM/speed instrumentation and Altima-style gauges. Done!

Quick Reply: 10th gen Civic, Si / Type R coming to US