Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

$10k DD

Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default $10k DD

I currently daily a completely stock 1999 Civic Si EM1 coupe. It's a good car, but I realized after only a few months of ownership that I want something with 4/5 doors and more torque. It's fun to rev to 8000, but I can already do that in my S with much better results. I've got the car posted on Craigslist right now and it's been getting a ton of hits, but so far no one is willing to get close to my asking price, which is higher than the price of your average hellaflush salvage titled EM1.

Anyways, assuming I can sell it sometime in the next few months, I'll be looking for a used ~$10k DD that meets the following criteria in order of importance:

1) Manual transmission
2) 4/5 door sedan/hatch/wagon/SUV, unless it's a 2-door with a roomy backseat
3) Reliable at 100k+ mileage and relatively easy to work on
4) Better-than-economy-car acceleration
5) Preferably AWD or RWD, but will consider FWD if it has a lot going for it and is still fun to drive
6) Has some swag, aka not a Corolla S or Accord
7) Minimum 20mpg average, premium fuel is fine

Cars I've considered so far:
1) 2002-2007 WRX - These are all over Craigslist, but for sub-$10k they usually have 130k+ miles.
2) G35 sedan - I heard they're not that reliable, and terrible on gas. They also look really bland.
3) Acura TSX/TL - Reliable with nice interiors but FWD.
4) Mk4 GTI 1.8T or VR6 - Not sure on reliability with ~100k miles, only 2 doors.
5) Lexus IS300 - Less powerful compared to G35 with equally terrible gas mileage, but more reliable. Hard to find in manual.

Am I being too picky in my price range? Shoot me with ideas/suggestions!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend the TL/TSX. Very reliable cars!
my buddy also has a RSX type S, you can find them for under 10k they are also reliable and good on gas.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just grabbed a TSX for myself. Would recommend that. Great ride, will age well, reliable. It's a daily - you don't need all that other race car sh!t. Auto/FWD is no problem. Fits the bill for everything else and is comfortable and quiet.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:08 PM

I've always been a fan of the RSX Type S for its engine, looks, and handling, but the backseat is just too cramped with limited headroom.

Manual is still a must. I just don't like driving automatics anymore.

How do the TSX and TL compare? I assume I can find a TSX with lower mileage than a TL for the same price.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:19 PM

A buddy of mine has a mk4 vr6 and while it is a fun little car, it hasn't been super reliable and the back seat is small and difficult to get in and out of. The Acura would be nice and a civic would be ok, but you should maybe check out Mazda 3 or Mazda protege. Both the mazda were way more reliable for my friend, and he drove them hard. (Had both before the vr6). I don't have expericen with BMW, but I've heard good things about the drivetrain reliability of the 330i as well.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:24 PM

If I were to get a Mazda, it would have to be a Mazdaspeed model. The base models just aren't appealing to me even if they're reliable.

I've seen the 330i in my price range but basically assumed that I'd run into electrical issues at the minimum, and those alone are costly to fix.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:03 PM

"1) Manual transmission
2) 4/5 door sedan/hatch/wagon/SUV, unless it's a 2-door with a roomy backseat
3) Reliable at 100k+ mileage and relatively easy to work on
4) Better-than-economy-car acceleration
5) Preferably AWD or RWD, but will consider FWD if it has a lot going for it and is still fun to drive
6) Has some swag, aka not a Corolla S or Accord
7) Minimum 20mpg average, premium fuel is fine"

Your requirements are pretty stiff! I wouldnt consider a BMW a car that is easy to work on and reliable at 100k especially with your prince range. With 10k most luxary cars will have high miles on it or be in rough condition. The car needs "swag" so no civic, accord, or mom cars. I personally don't think a TL is swagger. I think they look old.

Old gc8/forget the wrx.
Land cruiser
Xterra
CTS?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:19 PM

I realize I'm being picky, but I'm in no rush so I can afford to be. I want to make sure I choose a car that I will want to keep for at least 2 or 3 years.

I've seen a couple of GC8's on Craigslist. Always thought those cars were awesome, even the non-turbo ones. But I'm assuming the backseat is about the same as my Civic if not smaller.

Never considered the Xterra, but it looks like even the V6 model is a bit of snail. I haven't seen any Land Cruisers for $10k. However, if I go the SUV route, I definitely want power to make up for the weight. I would go for a Forester XT if I could find a clean one for $10k.

A base model CTS is an option. Are they reliable at 100k miles?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:40 PM

E46 3 series. best DD ever
Old 09-15-2014, 03:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Chevy Cobalt SS.

Quick Reply: $10k DD