Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

$100k, one car, only car for 8 years

Old 04-28-2009, 07:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry but u guys got it all wrong. many fine choices no doubt, and the CTS-V, M5, Black series, and GT-R are all nice.... but i'm thinking more exotic

used Lamborghini Diablo VT roadster. Not only my childhood dream-car, it's a timeless design, rare, AWD, convertible, and I hardly doubt I'd get tired of seeing it no matter what new cars come out in the next 8 years.

now if i can't have that, i'd take an older ferrari (pre 360 that is as i'm not so much of a fan of the 360). Maybe a Testarossa, or one of those 348's (convertible of course).

surely i understand i have to pay for all maintenance, but with a vehicle like this i wouldm't plan on putting all too many miles on it, and just like my S - i'd be parking way off on my own. insurance rates wouldn't be much higher than my S either

Old 04-28-2009, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Apr 27 2009, 07:45 PM
09 CTS-V fully optioned out

I was just thinking that. Surprised no one mentioned it yet.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by MuttGrunt,Apr 28 2009, 10:47 AM
sorry but u guys got it all wrong. many fine choices no doubt, and the CTS-V, M5, Black series, and GT-R are all nice.... but i'm thinking more exotic

used Lamborghini Diablo VT roadster. Not only my childhood dream-car, it's a timeless design, rare, AWD, convertible, and I hardly doubt I'd get tired of seeing it no matter what new cars come out in the next 8 years.

now if i can't have that, i'd take an older ferrari (pre 360 that is as i'm not so much of a fan of the 360). Maybe a Testarossa, or one of those 348's (convertible of course).

surely i understand i have to pay for all maintenance, but with a vehicle like this i wouldm't plan on putting all too many miles on it, and just like my S - i'd be parking way off on my own. insurance rates wouldn't be much higher than my S either

Did you actually read the original post? You would be OK having an old diablo roadster as your ONLY car for 8 years in Michigan? You must not need dependable transportation. It would make for some great pictures though of you trekking to work in a snow storm in your Italian exotic.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Either a 09 Cayman S with LSD and PDK or V8 M3 Sedan. Maybe the S/C Evora when it comes out.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=wickerbill,Apr 28 2009, 08:10 AM] Did you actually read the original post?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Could I get a tuned shop car? I would take the Mine's R34 or R35. Or Amuse GT1 s2000, full interior, turbocharged etc.

If not then a Porsche GT3
Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Geez that's a hard one quikag, especially since I can't rely on other folks for my home depot/costco trips. Ugh, otherwise it'd be ls3 corvette with z51 and 6spd. Z06 would be cooler, but the "just in case" factor with the base model is a little less intimidating.
The M3 sounds great on paper for the all arounder, but the ownership costs will rack up. I love the idea of the black series too, but again, ownership costs. And I'm not just euro bashing, the same thought process goes on in my head about the GTR too.
If I was making some decent money, purchased my long term home, all finances in order and I have the discretonary income, (Oneshot, hope you're reading) I'd have to take the M3. Given my current or realistically improved circumstance, I'll take the vette. My brain is telling me get a Lexus or something along those lines.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:30 PM

Member (Premium)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hyundai Equus if it comes here. Hyundai Genesis with full options if not. Lexicon sound system is nice. Nice isolation for daily driving and carrying people around. 10 year powertrain. Maybe I'd do an LS460 though.

I can't believe some of the cars some of you think you can get away with for 8 years. Either you're not driving much, not thinking, or have a ton of money stashed away for maintaining some crazy car. For me... no jags, no germans, and no cars from companies that have a much higher chance of being underwater in those 8 years. And NO CARS WITH $15k TRANSMISSIONS.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:40 PM

^ Why not? If the car is given to me, I can easily afford any maintenance needed. With a free car, having to purchase even a new $15K transmission several years into my ownership won't be that big of a deal. My most recently acquired car cost me somewhat more than $15K since my uncle did not purchase it for me. And, if I didn't pay for the car, why would I care if the manufacturer goes under? I'm probably not much concerned about resale value if I didn't pay for the car in the first place. Plus, resale value on most 8 year-old cars sucks anyway. Bummer to get a Hyundai if presented with such an opportunity, IMHO.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 PM

IMO, this thread really shows the limitations of purchasing one car for such a large amount of $$$ if $100K is all you have to spend (If you can buy your $100K sports car plus a nice daily, more power to you). In reality, ignoring QUIKAG's parameters, if I had around $100K to spend on cars for myself, I may get a G37 Journey (auto) for $35K and gen. 2 987 Cayman S (6-spd manual) for $70K. Or, I may get a '07 E63 for $50K and '08 Z06 for $55K. Or, I may get a E90 M3 (6-spd manual) for $60K and used Cayman S for $45K. Lotsa choices.

Quick Reply: $100k, one car, only car for 8 years