Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

$10-15k project car or motorcycle

Old 08-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Plenty of Lotus Espirit's that can be had for that cost and room to spare.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motorcycle.

In reality, none of these car engine swaps will be done well for $10k-$15k.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by FurY
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1376057398' post='22715327
Rolling chasis 1993 MR2 Turbo. Then due a ground up restore with a built engine or SC'ed V6 conversion.
This is a good choice too... love those Although, I have heard they're a real PITA to work on.

They can be depending on what you need to do. Getting the turbo off, the "hose from hell" and timing belts are all major pains. The rest is pretty easy and they are generally bulletproof engines and transmissions. But if you were doing a project and had the engine out and did all your work, you would not have to worry about that stuff for a long time after getting the engine back in. Rear clips from Japan can be found to get your high mile beater back to like new fast with a low mileage engine and tranny.

93's add some suspension changes and LSD so it is the best year to buy IMHO, and 94 & 95's have a cooler back end but you can buy the parts and avoid the premium for those cars.

I miss my MR2 every day.

And I meant "do" a ground up restore, not "due".
Old 08-09-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
Motorcycle wise - My in laws have 5 bikes, or 6 maybe.. anyway, two of them are triumphs. One 675 street triple and 1050 speed triple. I love the speed triple, I have access to his bikes 24/7, I have yet to take out the street triple, although I am interested in a slower bike now-a-days. Now that I am married I am more concerned with longevity/quality of life and have enough experience to know that 1000cc is just ridiculous and not fun on the street, for someone who values their life anyway. I want a bike that I can use all the gears and need to use the gears to while having fun. So, the smaller bikes are appealing more and more to me.
I'm w/ you about growing out of street bikes w/ added family responsibilities, but have to say I've had by far the most fun on literbikes. You don't have to use all the power all the time, but being able to loft the front wheel in the 60-80 mph range is way too fun! Back to cars, my easy answer would be an E36 M3.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I loved my liter bike when I had it but riding it was like looking for trouble - too fast too quick, you're always pushing the limits.

I went down on power and still have fun - it just takes longer to get to ludacris speeds.

An RX with a V8 would be a cool project - reliable enough to drive but still something you can tinker with.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
If you wanted a car to tinker on I'd find something from the 70s and start fixing it up.
I agree. Depends if you're looking for something fun, or something fast though.

Check out bringatrailer.com for some interesting ideas.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I loved my liter bike when I had it but riding it was like looking for trouble - too fast too quick, you're always pushing the limits.

I went down on power and still have fun - it just takes longer to get to ludacris speeds.

An RX with a V8 would be a cool project - reliable enough to drive but still something you can tinker with.

I love riding, I loved all my liter bikes, but I am being real with myself that that is exactly what I was doing - pushing harder and harder. I can't risk that now. I want to be able to enjoy riding with minimal risks. I know the bikes only go as fast as you tell them to, but I dont have that much self control... so slower bike it is, IF I get a bike.

I am kind of leaning toward a high mileage S, and going forced induction with it. I fear that these miata V8 swaps could get to be a PITA and costly. Plus I still adore the S, just need to finally have one that isn't a DD. Nothing else seems to grab me as far as RWD, fun to drive, decently cheap, etc. The only thing is FI with the S is hugely expensive, that is driving me away from that idea a bit.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
I love riding, I loved all my liter bikes, but I am being real with myself that that is exactly what I was doing - pushing harder and harder. I can't risk that now. I want to be able to enjoy riding with minimal risks. I know the bikes only go as fast as you tell them to, but I dont have that much self control... so slower bike it is, IF I get a bike.

I am kind of leaning toward a high mileage S, and going forced induction with it. I fear that these miata V8 swaps could get to be a PITA and costly. Plus I still adore the S, just need to finally have one that isn't a DD. Nothing else seems to grab me as far as RWD, fun to drive, decently cheap, etc. The only thing is FI with the S is hugely expensive, that is driving me away from that idea a bit.
I get where you're coming from and that was on my 600... I can only imagine how hard I'd push it on a liter bike.

The new Science of Speed turbo kit for the S2K is reasonably priced, I think. Depending on how much the S2K you buy sets you back, that might be a good route to go for FI on the S.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...harger_system/
Old 08-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1376078667' post='22716010

I get where you're coming from and that was on my 600... I can only imagine how hard I'd push it on a liter bike.

The new Science of Speed turbo kit for the S2K is reasonably priced, I think. Depending on how much the S2K you buy sets you back, that might be a good route to go for FI on the S.

Yeah seems like I could swing that. Buy high mileage S, fix what needs fixed, install supporting mods for turbo. come winter time, buy turbo.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1376078667' post='22716010

Yeah seems like I could swing that. Buy high mileage S, fix what needs fixed, install supporting mods for turbo. come winter time, buy turbo.

Quick Reply: $10-15k project car or motorcycle