Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

07-09 Acura MDX

Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 07-09 Acura MDX

My wife and I have been looking at these over the past few weeks. I've always been a fan of their looks, and just yesterday I went and test drove one at a dealership. They actually gave it to us for the next couple days, so I have a great chance to get a bunch of seat time. So far, I'm absolutely loving it. Sounds great, feels great, rides great and looks great!

We currently have an 02 CRV EX, so all we're looking for is a bit more room, and the V6. At first we were looking at Pilots, but I'm really leaning towards the MDX. The MDX just feels much more sporty, and actually handles extremely well for it's size. I'm just curious if there are any MDX owners in here, that can shed some light on their reliability. Do these cars have a typical part that fails? Do they run good with high miles? The one we're driving has 61k miles, and I know we'd put it well over 100k over the next years to come. It's also the Dark Cherry Pearl color w/tan leather, which I'm not too fond of. I would most likely look for a black or white MDX.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Reliability has been very, very good with these. I've watched them for a long time, following the forums and reports online, and honestly, they're pretty bulletproof.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Pete -

I don't believe the motors have changed that much (J-series) but my '03 Pilot is currently at 191k miles and has really no issues (minor oil pan gasket leak). Just did the second timing belt/water pump/etc and it does perfectly fine.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rosario717
Hey Fish how are you? I work at a honda store and get to drive both honda n acuras all the time before I sell them. The MDX is a crossover just like the pilot which are all very similiar to an odyssey which is where they both originate from. I would also get the mdx over the pilot due to its aggressive looks and sportier drive. The pilot is great as well but square,lacks power and not sporty whatsoever. The only advantage the pilot has besides a small margin in price is size. The mdx is alot smaller but more luxurious in most parts. If you have a large family and use the 3rd row alot then the pilot is better since its longer,taller and wider with more interior space. You cant go wrong with a pilot,odyssey, or mdx for long term use at all. Ive sold pilots to limo/taxi companies in NYC and they rack up about 200k miles in about 3 or 4 years and still running with no problems. The best advice I can give you is get one that is certified through an acura store so you can get service and history reports,100k powertrain warranty and I believe a 1 year 12k electrical as well... Goodluck and great choice!!!
Are you sure you're not talking about the RDX? The Pilot and MDX are nearly identical in size?

MDX (third row folded)- 42.9 cubic feet of cargo Source
Pilot (third row folded) - 47.7 cubic feet of cargo Source

Again, not ridiculously off.

And '12 Pilot is 250hp/253tq, whereas '12 MDX is 300hp/270tq. The Pilot isn't what I would call underpowered?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the vin and make sure it's made in japan. i hear lots of problems with made in america honda/acura lately. i guess not lots of problems but definitely more problems than made in japan honda/acura.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 AM

I've read that all MDXs are made in Canada.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

We have an 07 Sport+Tech edition (loaded). Picked up 2 years ago certified. I think we have about 25k miles on her since we picked it up. And mechanically it's been rock solid. I think we have a paint issue that I need to bring to the dealership's attention, but that's relatively minor since it's a family hauler with 3 kids in the house (2 boys under 6 and a 15 yo girl). It can be a little cramped when the 15 yo has friends going with us somewhere, but we knew that when buying. I highly recommend.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 08, just reached 52k miles. just brought it in for transmission light. found out it is due to pressure switch which is being replaced under 60,000 mile warranty. I know there have been similar issues with other MDXs on forums.

another thing to watch out for is air vent pumping out white dust. it's also covered under warranty so just keep an eye out on it.

other than that, this car is rock solid, handles great, reasonably fast and luxurious.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 PM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

My wife's parents watched our little one tonight, and we had a little date night with the MDX(bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow). Not only did I continue to fall in love with it, my wife is really liking it... which is a huge plus!

The car we have right now is an 09, about 61k miles. It's in "ok" condition. I think it's just the tech. package. From what I've read, the sport package has some suspension button, and five star wheels. This has neither of those. rear door panels are sorta beat up, most likely from dogs. Driver leather is a little beat, and the whole interior needs a SERIOUS detail. Otherwise, paint is good, engine bay is good, and the undercarriage seems to be spotless; which is nice to see on a midwest car. Only thing is, they are asking $33k for it. Which seems a tad steep. They said we can probably work it under 30k, but once we factor in everything else, it'll probably be close to 33k again. You guys think this is a decent price? Looked up a bunch of MDXs in Virginia, where we're from, and they seem to be much cheaper down there with less miles. Plus, we want either black or white. This maroon color with tan interior has a little bit of a senior citizen vibe to it.

Quick Reply: 07-09 Acura MDX