Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

'06 Honda Ridgeline SUT - Factory Photos

Old 01-14-2005, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AbusiveWombat,Jan 14 2005, 11:12 AM
...was pretty sketchy going down hill

Believe me I know, brings all new meaning to the phrase tail wagging the dog...
Old 01-14-2005, 09:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems to me when it comes to trucks people seems to focus on number of cylinders and somehow forget to look at the power numbers.
The "power numbers" for this "truck" are a joke. Your reference to a V8 with less horsepower but more torque demonstrates your lack of understanding as to what makes a good truck motor. Let me spell it out for you. Lots of torque, from a very low point on the revolutions per minute scale, and a flat curve thereafter.

The ridgeline will have 250lb/ft of torque. Whoppee to begin with. Odds have it that the torque will mostly be produced in the upper ranges, making it effectively worthless as a truck motor -- but then the Ridgeline is not really a truck in the first place.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by steve c,Jan 14 2005, 01:05 PM
The "power numbers" for this "truck" are a joke. Your reference to a V8 with less horsepower but more torque demonstrates your lack of understanding as to what makes a good truck motor. Let me spell it out for you. Lots of torque, from a very low point on the revolutions per minute scale, and a flat curve thereafter.
Steve, let me spell it out for you, your assesment of me could not possibley be more wrong...

I know all too well what torque is, that is why my truck will have 379 ft-lb from its 5.6 V8.
My reference to the Dodge V8 was to show the Honda engine is not pathetic and considering the Ridgeline is only rated at 5,000 pounds towing, thus someone like me would never tow more than 3,750 pounds with it, the 250 ft-lb is not bad at all. Seriously, how many people do you really thing are going to tow a big load with it?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the same argument that has been used for the RL. The new RL may produce a good amount of torque, but in luxury cars and trucks, the area under the curve matters most.

Having to maintain higher revs to produce the required torque will lead to an unpleasant towing experience and poor fuel economy. *Can* the SUT tow 5000 pounds? Sure. Will it do so in comfort? Probably not.

Another important factor in towing is weight. You want a lot of mass in the tow vehicle. To this end, the heavier body on frame trucks are generally a better choice.

Frankly, I don't understand the SUT. I also don't understand the Escalade EXT and other psuedo truck car / suv's out there. But there must be a market (Subaru brat excluded).
Old 01-14-2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by AbusiveWombat,Jan 14 2005, 08:12 AM
Sounds like you've never towed something before, like a 4000 lb boat. I've got two friends, one with a Nissan Pathfinder (similar to Ridgeline power levels) and one with a F150 5.4. I've ridden in both when towing the same 4000 lb boat and it's night an day. The F150 drove better, stopped better, and in general handled the boat very well. We even had passing power going up a hill! The pathfinder on the other hand was pretty sketchy going down hill and had no power on tap for going up hill. Maybe these problems were due to a poor structure that the Pathfinder was built on but the experience has definitely lead me to believe that a V8 is absolutely necessary for any kind of towing.

Like the person above said, the general rule of thumb is 75% of the max limit.
I never towed anything; that was the point I was making about MOST Americans do not need to OWN a powerful v8, so, of course, SOME Americans should own them. I've moved stuff like tables and furniture before, but I just rented trucks from UHAUL if they didn't fit in my Mighty Max (btw, I just ordered a new Tacoma v6). I mean, how often do you think the average American will tow anything that's near 5000 lbs? This car is NOT heavy duty, and it is not MEANT for heavy duty work. Remember, this is Honda's first truck. What're Hondas known for? Reliability and gas economy. Honda knows this, and they will use their own "stereotype" for their own advantage. The truck (according to the site) has, supposedly, a very comfortable ride, big interior, and moderate bed space (+ that "trunk"). This truck is a gamble for Honda; it is make or break. By keeping the bets low, it is probably the safest bet for them.

Also, does performance also mean sales? Look at the Tacomas, Accords, and Civics. Certainly, not the best performing cars of their class but they do sell really well.

Would I buy the truck? If I didn't order the shortbed Tacoma, I may think about it, because I need something w/ a small bed, but I do not plan to tow anything as heavy as 5000lbs.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah just saw this ugly truck on the super bowl commercials. Still Fugly IMHO!
Old 02-06-2005, 04:07 PM

They have been running them on the streets here in san diego. Ridgelines look better in person than on paper, imho.

I'd rather have a BRAT.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:26 AM

Well, Doug,

You already know my predicament. No way is a fullsize anything going to cut it living in downtown Toronto. So, I've got to go for a midsize. The Ridgeline will do everything I need it to do just fine, and if ever I do need it to tow the S2000, it'll just be slower than a comparable full size half ton.

Other than that, the Ridgeline is just about perfect for our needs.

I heard from Simon you aren't coming up for the Toronto Auto Show! That's disappointing, I was looking forward to disecting all the new trucks on the market with you.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c' date='Jan 14 2005, 05:44 PM
Frankly, I don't understand the SUT.
yeah, it's an oxymoron.

what could possibly be sporty about a "truck" (in the truest sense of the word).

i've mentioned that to doug before.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:45 AM

Dude, it's marketing. What do you expect? It's like saying what's sporty about just about every SUV on the market?

Quick Reply: '06 Honda Ridgeline SUT - Factory Photos