Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

06 EVO IX

Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 EVO IX

I've had my 06 S2k since June 06 and have about 6k miles on it. This is the funnest car I have ever driven.. Go cart like steering, perfect gearbox, high revving engine, and VERY well rounded.

Just yesterday I went over to South Coast Mitsubishi and test drove a new 06 EVO IX. I have considered getting one of these for the past couple years now. There is a sale going on right now where all EVO's are being sold for BELOW dealer invoice. (This was hard to believe but I verified this with KBB.com). A fully loaded one is $30,999. Especially with the EVO X coming out, this really makes me want to get the last of the IX model. The X will be heavier by about 300 lbs., longer, all aluminum engine (VS. aluminum head & iron block for the IX which makes it safer to boost more), EVO X has softer looks, and from what I know, will only come with a tiptronic auto, sucks hard.

Driving Impressions: WOW. I have never felt anything like this before, amazing. The boost comes on STRONG and really pushes you back in your seat. AWD and very precise steering makes driving the car addictive. Even though I truly love the drive of my S, the EVO is a totally different animal. The only downsides of having an EVO is the ugly, unrefined interior which looks like a $14,000 lancer except the sweet recaro seats. Also, the teenager looks of the car. I am 27 and feel like I am a bit old for this car. Yet, after sitting in the driver's seat and actually driving the car, it makes me forget about everything else! I just want to get the car, remove the huge shopping cart spoiler, and DRIVE. Another aspect that makes the EVO so fun is the upgradeability. Even though you are already squeezing 286HP from a 2.0L which will take getting used to already, there are so many parts out there for this car. Especially since it is forced induction, there are tons of parts to help you customize your EVO.

Also, I dont want to get rid of my S. I really enjoy driving it.

Is it too much to have an S and an EVO? Does anyone here have them both? I drove a 05 IS300 Auto before acquiring my S, and after I got my S, I kept my IS but BARELY drove it. It just sat in the garage. The drive became so boring since I got the S.

I'm kind of stuck now and need some advise. Is it really too much to have both? Or basically, should I just tell myself I only live once and just get the EVO and keep my S???

Thank you for reading my novel of a post. Any inputs are much appreciated.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you're really into the evo, so get it and keep the S. if after 6 months, you realize you rarely drive the S anymore, then sell it then.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by S2000Tuner,Mar 13 2007, 01:42 AM
The only downsides of having an EVO is the ugly, unrefined interior which looks like a $14,000 lancer except the sweet recaro seats. Also, the teenager looks of the car. I am 27 and feel like I am a bit old for this car.
that is the reason i picked up an STI instead of the EVO
Old 03-13-2007, 04:27 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It depends. On the one hand it's nice to have two cars that do different things such as the S2000 and EVO.

If you can afford them both go for it. One point to think about is how long you will keep them. Having two cars means each one gets less use and thus should be longer lived.

I have my S2000 54 months now with just 30K miles. Its still 'like new' so I could easily keep it another 50+ months. Many people are onto their second car after 50 months. If you get two new cars at the same time and keep them both it's similar to buying one new car and then in 5 years buying another new car.

Except you have to pay insurance on two cars. If you are the only driver you can get a discount on the second car so it should not be 2x the cost.

I don't think the EVO X is going to be the end of the EVO. I believe the MT will make a comeback and I think it will be better in some ways. But the current EVO is surely going to be remembered fondly for a long time.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by S2000Tuner,Mar 12 2007, 11:42 PM
X will be heavier by about 300 lbs., longer, all aluminum engine (VS. aluminum head & iron block for the IX which makes it safer to boost more), EVO X has softer looks, and from what I know, will only come with a tiptronic auto, sucks hard.
X might not be so bad.

Here's a sneak peak at the X.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...cleId=119065#16
It's actually .6 inches shorter, and should be available with the manual.

Either way, closer you can wait to the X's release, the cheaper the EVO IX's will probably fall in price.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:57 AM

I have both an S2000 and an Evo IX. I got my IX last Sept when the SE models first came out. What surprised me most about the Evo IX was how pleasant it actually is as a daily driver. Compared to the S2000 and my old Sentra, the Evo is downright quiet and refined.

The only downside for me with keeping both cars is that both have very high insurance rates. And as high as the insurance on the S2000 is, the Evo IX is even more costly to insure for me. Definitely do your research and get real insurance quotes before doing anything with the Evo. The insurance costs can be a deal breaker. On my policy, I have my 1992 Sentra as my primary car, and the Evo and S2000 are listed as limited mileage "pleasure cars", which saves a significant amount of money in insurance premiums. The other thing I do to save some money is put the S2000 in storage over the winter months and drop coverage down to comprehensive coverage only.

But I can't imagine a better combo of two cars: The Evolution for rainy or wintery weather, hauling passengers or light cargo around (QUICKLY), maybe a driver school - And then the S2000 for a sunny afternoon, a weekend cruise, or an occasional AutoX.

Andrew
Old 03-13-2007, 05:59 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Fully loaded for $31k sounds like a great price for a Evo MR IX!

I don't think there was anything that I really didn't like about my Evo (2003 Evo VIII) other than at the time they were really "rich" from the factory and ran out of steam and the boost dropped off above 6k.... some simple mods can fix that though.

my 100% stock Evo was only 3 seconds slower around beaverun than the honda Challenge's fastest honda that same weekend.... they were on R compound tires, stripped, etc.... I was on full tread Advans...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:09 AM

Yes indeed, the insurance cost will be up there. I havent checked yet, but I will today. Another thing I forgot to mention, is I don't usually keep my cars more than 2 years. I always like to change. The most I have kept a car is 3 years and that was an 01 IS300. The really good part about having two cars is that since they both dont get driven too much, the miles stay low and the resale value stays high.

I have test driven the STi as well. Overall, I liked the feeling of the EVO a lot more. Not trying to knock the STi or anything, thats a fine car as well, but for me the EVO did it.

For clarification, by fully loaded for about $31k was the EVO IX with the Sunroof, Upgraded Sound System, and Leather Package, not the MR. I decided against the 6 speed on the MR due to so many complaints on it. The 5-speed is a lot stronger.

aklucsarits, do you find it too much to have both of them? Which one do you end up driving more? Do you have any regrets? Are you happy you went with the SE rather than the IX with the SSL package?

Thank you.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:18 AM

I have the SSL and think the interior is pretty nice. It's not like the S2000 is an Audi or something on the inside, especially the AP1s. I bought mine from South Coast Mits too. I find the exterior of the STI ugiler then the EVO, but looks are subjective, get what you like. I really like the SSL evo. The sunroof is a nice compromise between coupe and vert. The HID's are a must after having them for 5 years in the S2000. I won't have another car without them.

IMO, the spoiler stays. Deal with the fact this is an ugly goofy looking car or get something else! The car looks like a neutered dog without the spoiler. I'm not a 'wing' guy, but the evo needs something to break up it's plain-jane econo box looks. Plus where else are you going to put your lunch while eating at the track. The wing is a great table!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 AM

Oh, and there are about 30 threads on this subject just in Car Talk so search around a bit.

Quick Reply: 06 EVO IX