Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: 04 Acura TL: 6 speed + navigation...what are your thoughts?
04 TL 6 speed
76.36%
G35 Sedan
23.64%
Other...
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

04 Acura TL: 6 speed + navigation...what are your thoughts?

Old 12-03-2003, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well... motortrends voted g35 as car of the year
and the real time awd (its not what its called)
would come in handy in adverse weather, but ur in texas, do u get heavy snow or rain ? well maybe not snow
Old 12-04-2003, 04:12 AM

The 3 series cars are nice, but they are down in power. If the 3 series had the power of a TL/G35 and the price wasn't sky high, then I would pick that over either. But 220hp for $40+K is hard to swallow in this day and age.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:35 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you decide for the G35, consider the coupe.

G35 Coupe > TL > G35 Sedan
Old 12-04-2003, 07:28 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

i think the biggest knock i'm seeing is the fwd/rwd issue. i think the tl is a very sporty car, and if that's more in-line with what you're looking for, maybe waiting for the a-spec tl to come out. should be able to put up pretty impressive numbers for a fwd sedan.
i think the TL is flawless... had my mom not wanted a smaller car than her current TL (she bought a TSX), i think next would have been the TL. fit and finish on the G35 was not up to par with the TL, and that's why she went with another acura.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:33 AM

Thanks for chiming in buds
Old 12-04-2003, 08:17 AM

I just spent Saturday helping my Dad compare these cars to get for my mom. The TL is by far the better buy, as long as handling a sportiness are not your FIRST priority. It will do fine for spirited driving, but it does suffer from the inherent limitations of being FWD.
As for torque steer, I have driven both the New TL and the old CL/TL Type-S. They all torque steer, alot. The best two for hiding torque steer are the 6-speed variants.

Keith
Old 12-04-2003, 08:34 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between the G35 and TL, it's a non-issue, the TL all the way. Of course, this is simply my opinion, but I don't care for Nissan too much and even less of their Inifiniti brand. My wife and I enjoyed driving a TL a few months back. Loved it and it's the car she wants after her Accord. I still think the TSX is a better value.

Old 12-04-2003, 09:04 AM

I want the wagon !!!!
Old 12-04-2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by thereisnospoon
TSX with NAv and 6 speed - save 7K
How do you save 7K? I compared both cars (G35 and TL) with the same equipment, and the price difference is very small...unless you are referring to the 330 BMW. I thought the TL would have a big price advantage, but I was wrong about that one.

IMO The TL outshines the G35 in interior material quality, interior layout, and stereo system sound quality.

Everything else I give to the G35: Interior Room, Performance (Straightline & Handling), Gas Mileage (Tie), AWD option, Birdseye Nav system etc.

My gripe with the TL is that interior color combo (with wood). You have 4 different colors (black,tan,brown,silver) that look gross together

If I was in your shoes I'd have to flip a coin to decide, because they are both really good, and offer you a lot for your money compared to others in its class. Yes they both have con's but I don't consider them to be major enough to take away from the car as a whole. I'll take either one as long as its in black
Old 12-04-2003, 12:54 PM

I think he was talking about the TSX, not the TL.

The G35 interior is actually pretty nice, though I have not driven one. To me the exterior looks a little better than the new TL, I think the best thing going for the new TL design is that it's new. It is a pretty nice looking car from most angles, but to me the G35 seems a little more cohesive. Just my opinion though.

I've driven the smaller cars in this class- the TSX, the A4, and the 3 series. Basically anything is a better value than the 3 series, yet I'd have a hard time buying anything else because the chassis, ride/handling, and steering feel are so sublime. The TSX is an excellent value if power is not your first priority, handles well and looks nice IMO.

Basically if I were shopping this class I'd probably end up with a TSX, a G35, or a 325/330. To me, gadgets are always fun for a while, but the way a car feels is what keeps you in love for the long run.

Peter

Quick Reply: 04 Acura TL: 6 speed + navigation...what are your thoughts?