Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

03 Cobra or 04 STi?

Old 12-21-2004, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, everyone is saying STi, even the ex-03 Cobra owners. im gonna have to check one of these out soon. i wont be able to handle something like a bad shifter, coming from the s2000's.
-Chris
Old 12-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

evo
Old 12-21-2004, 09:32 PM

sti or evo....
Old 12-22-2004, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by S2KANDRE,Dec 22 2004, 01:32 AM
sti or evo....
you might want to wait for new evo 9.
everything on MR is standard with 9 plus it has better looking front bumper and tail light.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:06 AM

I think as an all-around car, the STI is more practical (wow, who would've thought that a 300hp AWD rally car with a huge wing would be considered pratical 5 years ago?) It has the edge in my mind due to its better handling, space management, driving position, and reliability. It even passes my "5yr in the future" test (Basically, I take a similar vehicle that is say a 1999 Subaru Imprezza and a 1999 Mustang Cobra and inspect look at the how they hold up - does the int and ext look dated? is the paint fading, etc. It gives a good sign of what my new car will look and feel like by the time I have it paid off - And yes, I have too much time on my hands)

HOWEVER, every time an SVT Cobra drives by, I really want one. The exhaust note is AMAZING! The rear wheels are so wide, they look like they should sport M/T drag slicks. And with the lower stance and the subtle body changes, that car looks really mean. I've read that the driving position is weird, I'm skeptical about the QC issues, the body style is currently being replaced by the new 05 GT, and this is not the usual type of vehicle that I'm attracted to. I like precision over brute force. But I still want one.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:24 AM

well an evo is out of the question simply because, yes, its a lancer. im not trying to buy a NEW car so the evo9 doesnt excite me either. good points made by everyone.
-Chris
Old 12-22-2004, 10:13 AM

ah ok.
i have to say black STi are
Old 12-23-2004, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cobra, hands down.

once you start modding, both cars will start to break.

the STI can't handle more than 420ish whp, the internals and block start to give out. more so the internals though. the tranny REALLY can't sustain those power levels, and you'll be busting through drive axles like snapping candy canes with your teeth.

the cobra will have the know "Ford" problems, things here and there. will probably be an annoyance more than anything. the rear ends are weak when you start running a lot of power though them. but i've seen more people actually complain about the driveshaft giving up the ghost more often. the block on the cobra has been proven to sustain 1000 hp before it shows weakness.

so they both have their issues, take your pic and decide which one better suits your needs.

but i'd still go for the cobra
Old 12-23-2004, 09:22 AM

wow, everyone is saying STi, even the ex-03 Cobra owners.
Not all of em'...I would take the Cobra because of the mod potential and that the STi is about as ugly as they come. Like Scot said...the Cobra isn't near as great an all around car as the STi but for about $1,500 you're running 11's at 120+mph all day long and it is a pretty comfortable car.

once you start modding, both cars will start to break.
Cobras have been out a couple of years now with a HEAVY aftermarket and have had no issues as far as power/drivetrain. There are MANY Cobras putting down 600+ RWHP that are daily driven.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derryck,Dec 23 2004, 10:22 AM
Not all of em'...I would take the Cobra because of the mod potential and that the STi is about as ugly as they come. Like Scot said...the Cobra isn't near as great an all around car as the STi but for about $1,500 you're running 11's at 120+mph all day long and it is a pretty comfortable car.

Cobras have been out a couple of years now with a HEAVY aftermarket and have had no issues as far as power/drivetrain. There are MANY Cobras putting down 600+ RWHP that are daily driven.
did i say anything bad against the cobra? no . i'm well aware of it's abilities, strengths and weaknesses. but whenever you start modding cars to produce high horsepower, it's infallible that things will break. whether it's a s/c V8 or a turbo'd 4 cyclinder.

hell, people have blown out the s2000's rear end just by looking at it funny.

Quick Reply: 03 Cobra or 04 STi?