Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

'02/'03 Civic Si....

Old 11-22-2002, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always thought that $19K was a little too high for a Civic. Apparently, a lot of people agree...the new Si is selling very poorly. Dealerships around here are advertising them for under $15K...

Just for kicks, I went and test-drove one the other day. I was fully expecting to be disappointed, considering the S2000 is my daily driver. I was pleasantly surprised!! It was a great little car. Plenty of power, good handling, great shifter, etc. It felt very solid and refined. It's no S, but it's a good little car. I'm seriously thinking about picking one up...it's a bargain at that price. Do any of you own one? What are your thoughts?

Please...no "minivan" comments. I know it's no S2000 in the styling department...I just need something with a little more space than the S offers...but it has to at least pretend to be sporty (the Si accomplishes this perfectly).
Old 11-22-2002, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good decision! I personally like the Si a lot, especially the shifter location. Just some styling enhancments will make the Si look fantastic!
Old 11-22-2002, 08:50 PM

I don't think it looks like a minivan either.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:21 PM

I test drove one, and I kind of understand why they sell so cheap... I mean bring here the real deal or don't bring anything, you know, my mentality is CTR and ITR, no Type S SI middle of teh road stuff, even though they are still impressive cars...

The thing drove like a zingy early 90s corolla... the only nice part were the quality and awesome seats...
Old 11-22-2002, 09:27 PM

I still dont understand why didnt they drop the SI engine in the latest civic coupe. The sale would be 10 times better.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Carlson
I still dont understand why didnt they drop the SI engine in the latest civic coupe. The sale would be 10 times better.
I wondered the same thing. Whoever thought they should keep it in the hatch should be shot. Hopefully they transplant it to the coupe before long.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Si is a fabulous car, and in many respects is better than the last gen Si Coupe.

1. Its a better handler. Yes, while the tires are enormously high profile, soft, and squishy, the actual balance of the car is superb. It rotates easily and is very, very nimble in corners. In fact, among Honda's FWD lineup in the US, its the most nimble car available - including the RSX-S.

2. Its about as fast, but the power is dramatically more useful. The bottom end power is fabulous and makes exiting corners a lot of fun.

3. The interior is terrific. The quality of materials is higher, the seats are the best in the US Honda lineup (better than S2K seats IMO). Lots of cargo room and it can carry 4 people comfortably.

While the looks of the car are a mixed bag, and the tires suck, at 15-16k its a real bargain. There are now mods a plenty for the car, and you can pick up 20 hp and lots of torque for less than $1000. The biggest improvement comes from a higher rev limiter cause the stock car hits it way too soon and too easily. Throw on some stickier tires and you've got a very quick car that still maintains lots of refinement, etc. Its closest competition is the Focus SVT. At $19k, the SI was the inferior car, but at $15-16k the Si becomes a better bargain IMO.

UL
Old 11-23-2002, 01:21 PM

My brother bought a white EP3 (Civic SI) about two months ago and he is enjoying it. It's a lot fun to drive and at $16k it was a relative bargain. He has big plans for the car such as Mugen body kit, Tein C/Os, and a RSX-S or DC5 ITR drive-train. Should be fun
Old 11-25-2002, 06:49 AM

I bought one as an alternative to the S2000. The '02 Civic Si rocks. Very responsive, good handling. Because of it's SteelUniBody construction, it is very rigid and very quiet inside! A pleasure to commute in. I can slice thru traffic a frightening speeds. It's a hatchback, so I can haul most of my band's equipment! I like it about 10 times more then my '98 Accord. It looks much better in person then in pictures, this car just does not photograph well in my opinion. Some people like it, otheres don't, but it has a certain "je-ne-se-qua" about it. One thing to watch out for:

This car BURNS oil in it's first 3K miles. I went thru 2 quarts. After that it stops!? It was a bit disconserning. If you get this car, check the oil very frequently in it's first 3-4 thousand miles, after that it should be ok.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:28 AM

I just started working for a Honda dealer a few weeks ago and finally took one out last week and loved it. Since we are offering such great deals on purchases and leases, I am thinking about getting one. I totally agree that at these "new" prices, it is quite a bargain.

Kirk

Quick Reply: '02/'03 Civic Si....