Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

*new* Top Gear Ford Gt Review

Old 07-22-2004, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, what are you telling me. It's impressive for Ford to produce a $100+ car in stock format that can only beat a modified (Say, $20K to buy a wrecked S2000 with a good frame and $15K to make it track ready to meet Honda Challange specifications = $35K total) by one (1 sec.) second around a technical track

Isn't that normal? I know of $3000 track special (old) RX7s that will lap good 10sec quicker than any S2000 has managed. Does it make the S2000 a bad buy/value? Would you expect more from the S2000 just becuase almost any 'track special' is quicker on the track?

Tyres (slicks) and suspension (race setup/parts) alone can be worth close to 10sec on 1:30 track. 10sec on a 1:30 track us the difference between a GT3 and an 1.8L Miata (ie. MX5).
Old 07-22-2004, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BruteHareS2k,Jul 22 2004, 12:05 PM
Well is it their fault FORD cant get the right tires? Thats a stupid excuse.

"I lost my race because your engine is bigger."
way to go smart ass.
Because changing tires is just the same as changing out a new engine. Of course the CS is shopped by club racers so I was just asking if it had R compounds. Most people don't want to run r-compounds on the street. They are noisy, last about 8k miles, need to be shaved to get best performance, and don't handle rain worth a shit when they are shaved, but I'm sure you knew this being the serious racer you are!!

And mr racer can you inform me what would be the "right" tires? What are the right ones? Are they a tire like the S02, RA-1 or a full on dunlop slick? since you seem to know what the right tire is....unlike ford or maybe even ferrari! The GT is a street car so even with street tires it has be consistently faster then the ferrari CS. It actually didn't lose the race. Everyone knows that different tires make the largest difference in lap times when going from a street tire to an R-compound to a slick.

In reference to the top gear review the GT was what like 2 secs behind the carrera GT? So if they put slicks on the Ford and beat the Porsche by 1-2 secs it would be a stupid excuse to say well, I bet if you put slicks on the Porsche it would be faster? I am not sure what your point was, but it's dumb. Please if you are going to post don't post things that are dumb.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:42 AM

By reading this thread You run the danger of dropping A few points off your IQ...

Some of you should be carefull...that might run you into the Negatives =/
Old 07-22-2004, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Jul 22 2004, 09:41 AM
way to go smart ass.
Because changing tires is just the same as changing out a new engine. Of course the CS is shopped by club racers so I was just asking if it had R compounds. Most people don't want to run r-compounds on the street. They are noisy, last about 8k miles, need to be shaved to get best performance, and don't handle rain worth a shit when they are shaved, but I'm sure you knew this being the serious racer you are!!

And mr racer can you inform me what would be the "right" tires? What are the right ones? Are they a tire like the S02, RA-1 or a full on dunlop slick? since you seem to know what the right tire is....unlike ford or maybe even ferrari! The GT is a street car so even with street tires it has be consistently faster then the ferrari CS. It actually didn't lose the race. Everyone knows that different tires make the largest difference in lap times when going from a street tire to an R-compound to a slick.

In reference to the top gear review the GT was what like 2 secs behind the carrera GT? So if they put slicks on the Ford and beat the Porsche by 1-2 secs it would be a stupid excuse to say well, I bet if you put slicks on the Porsche it would be faster? I am not sure what your point was, but it's dumb. Please if you are going to post don't post things that are dumb.
Misunderstanding. Im falling
Old 07-22-2004, 12:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

We need that smiley of a rabbit with a pancake on its head...
Old 07-22-2004, 09:39 PM

Angry

I find it funny how much Jeremy blatantly blew smoke up this thing's ass. He even went so far as to say it's "faster" than both the Carrera GT and the SLR (what he meant was it goes 4 mph faster than the C-GT and SLR at top end, as if anyone's EVER going to be driving it at 212 mph, even though it's actually slower in acceleration and certainly laps much slower than either car), just because he can't afford a Carrera GT and is buying one of these.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:39 PM

Wow! What a car! I'll take mine in white with blue stripes
Old 07-24-2004, 03:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm surprised how many people give a shit about track times down to the last second. I wonder how many of them are going to competitively race their $150k car.

To me, I love how it looks; way different than anything out there and it should dyno over 500rwhp from what I have heard.

Not too many other cars out there that can beat that.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by kumar75150,Jul 24 2004, 11:20 PM
I'm surprised how many people give a shit about track times down to the last second. I wonder how many of them are going to competitively race their $150k car.

To me, I love how it looks; way different than anything out there and it should dyno over 500rwhp from what I have heard.

Not too many other cars out there that can beat that.
Yeah, what about people who buy cars so they can "race" on the street...that is really cool and smart!!

No offense, but i'm not sure you have any right to call people out for the reasons they buy a car. Worrying about whether you can beat someone from 50-120 is wayyyy lamer then wanting a car that can turn fast lap times.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:20 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The people who like the car are calling out the people who don't. The people who don't are calling out the people who do. What's the point?