California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

XS S2000 Competition Round 2 The Twilight Event - Sun 4/10 @ SOWS

Old 04-14-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '09S2K
I noticed your exhaust Mike. What else do you have now?
Lol Mike you're a pansy for not answering.

He's church dyno tuned with a J's 70RR and a flashpro.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stop giving out all my secrets >_<

It's a glorified straight pipe with a resonator. Hardly an exhaust

POWAHHH -Clarkson.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:09 PM

HAhahaha now we all know!!

Did you change your shift points after switching to the flashpro?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:09 PM

HAhahaha now we all know!!

Did you change your shift points after switching to the flashpro?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:49 PM

On the basis that certain key S2KC competitors (Nam) won't see this, yes, depending on the calibration I'm running.

I'm running a 8400 hard cut and 8300 soft cut, which is 200 higher than stock. More importantly, my VTEC is at 4400-5200, so I can stay in a higher gear in certain places and/or have more power available to me.

Some of the key changes:

Turn 3 used to be 2nd gear. I can now do it in 3rd gear with the combination of trail braking in (thanks Chris Hill, confirmed by Emilio) and powering through to turn 4. Turn 4 is also trail-braked into (with some scary tire noise, I spun here trying to carry more speed). Turn 5 is WOT from about 1/3 the way in all the way through turn 6. Turn 4 can be entered in 2nd, but 2nd has too much power, and requires a shift about 1/3 of the way into turn 5, so I always did it in 3rd. With the tune, I'm still in 3rd, but now I'm not falling out of VTEC, and am putting more power down, but not enough to get myself into trouble.

Going into the bowl, I'm able to hit 4th. Previously, I was at the limiter in 3rd, but not enough time to make it worthwhile to shift. Now I'm getting a little more speed, and stay in 4th for a good 3/4 of a second or so. I used to do the bowl in 2nd, but 2nd makes the rear end come out now. I tried both, and with some cleanup on my line and braking zone, 3rd will definitely be faster. I used to sit at the limiter in 4th (except for time attack laps) going into the chicane, staying at partial, but I did do a few laps shifting into 5th. I'll hit the limiter in 4th a little earlier, even with the higher redline.

Left hander after the chicanes is still 3rd gear, but again, I get more power down with lower VTEC. I gotta be careful on this turn, cuz I spun going in hot and trying to put down too much power. I almost got T-boned by Ben here (sorry!), but he was waiting to let me pass on the back straight to catch my lines. 2nd is usable if you're careful here, but then you gotta shift up really soon, so I think 3rd is better regardless of the tune.

Going up the front straight, I'm able to hit the limiter in 4th, but I don't think the shift into 5th is worth it for me; my braking technique still needs work.

Turn 2 was coned off really REALLY aggressively from Raceline in Red1, and that forced me to take a better line. I couldn't believe how much more speed I had exiting turn 2. I will be using that line from now on.

Might as well post it now -__- ;; I hate you Ameer

Check out the differences, especially from 5000-6000. The 70RR + tune basically shifts my entire powerband about 800RPM down, and then adds to it at the top.

*edit*

This is NOT my S2KC calibration. That one has the stock redline, stock VTEC, and no timing changes. This calibration makes significantly more power.

My car + full power tune vs AP1 with same exhaust and fuel changes.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the detailed information Mike. That's great you've got that new found powerband! Turn 3 in 3rd gear wow! I have never tried that. I tend to stay in 3rd for turn 4 all the way through the bowl. Usually hitting the limiter in turn 7. I also don't go into 5th for the chicane. I feel I need some work there and it's not worth the risk for me.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Squirtle
lol sorry Alex I think you must have read something I typed incorrectly. (Im thinking the S13 statement?) I didn't mean any offense it was more a joke type thing. I hope I didn't upset you! It's so easy to misinterpret people over the internet these days.

I didn't join the competition Alex because truth be told, 1. I forgot to list up 2. I didnt really run the whole day without a passenger and 3. competition makes me nervous. I tend to push more than I should and it wasn't worth crumpling the car in the chicane for me. If you remember I lost my old AP1 there due to the coolant spill and ever since then I am very hesitant to push (much less compete) at streets. I guess you could call me a scaredy cat I also don't think I would have won in the super modified class, but its all good I still had fun.

As for the photos I have pics of my car on the KW's and I didn't get that much roll Only reason I brought it up was when I was looking at pictures of my car on track with Billy, he mentioned to me that the pictures showed too much roll - and coincidentally I had them on Michaels settings and we switched them to more compression. Billy's a professional driver so I figure his word is good...unless you know something he doesn't?
nah we are cool man im just teasing ya guys =p yea i can be a dick from time to time so plz bear wib me hahaha
anyways i dont think u need to sign up for the competition, its not sv and if u use the s2k competition promo code to register ur automatically in!
wasnt there another guy asking how he did in the competition? i suggest you guys to email the coordinator, joel, to redeem the benefit/ trophy that you guys might have gotten!!

yea i c wut u mean man competition makes everybody nervous and tend to over-push, thats why the first session doesnt count, reason behind it is u can go out in session 1 to test ur setting/ how u feeling today instead of having to go all out right off the begining
i guess if uve had some bad experience doing time attack, its totally understandable that u wanna stay out, but i look forward to the day u recover and come join us in the competition and give both mike a run for their money =)

and of course... i used billys suggestion on the kw damping and i went from there to fine tune on my own~
did u ask him what he meant by too much body roll? cuz i dont think damping contributes to body roll much (it does stimulate spring rate but not by much)... body roll is more of a spring rate/ sway bar type of thing imo
billy is a frd of mine and pro driver sponsored by kw (and many more) and he is very knowledgeable on pretty much everything car/ racing related lol what a golden child =p
he will go far in racing and at trackhq we've all been craving to see billy shine on national level!! go billy go =)

last but not least, to both mikes: i guess u guys never studied my video huh lol cuz ive been using 3rd gear from t3 to t5, up to 4th for t6 and come back down to 3rd for the bowl and 5th at the chicane ever since i picked up the new ap2 at the begining of last yr!!
i think this is the faster gearing selection for ap2 even w/o the power map and personally i like to use as lil 2nd gear as possible to preserve my tranny =p
i predict a 1:22 on street tire will be seen this winter at sows and i really need to try to push for no lifting (i dont brake but i do lift a lil while rotating the car from right to left) going thru the chicane to get it done!!!

omg im so jealous of mike's flashpro + power map setup lol damn so much gain!!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 AM

You and Mike N. both have coils.

I'm on stock suspension!

I use 3rd in T3 because 2nd makes me spin now

I have a few more tricks up my sleeve....
Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 AM

You guys are really using third gear in the bowl? I am getting higher speeds at the end of the straight utilizing 2nd gear right now

Even Jim uses 2nd gear in his 1:22 video. I tried third but it felt slower and the car tended to understeer more. Is there some sort of method you guys are using to rotate the car in third? Or is this just me?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 AM

My rear was coming out in 2nd. If my rear didn't come out, 2nd would be faster. Once the setup is "fixed", I should be going back to 2nd, but only for time-attack laps.

I don't like the 2-3 upshift because that shift is the one that is brewing into a potential problem, so I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible.

Also, remember that Jim had a frankenstein setup with a increased redline. F22C1 w/ AP1 trans (complete, secondary reduction, 5th, and 6th), so his gears are significantly taller, but slightly shorter than a regular AP1.

Did you want me to take a look at your calibration? You're running a TP right?

Quick Reply: XS S2000 Competition Round 2 The Twilight Event - Sun 4/10 @ SOWS