California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

World Cup 2010 South Africa

Old 05-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Cup 2010 South Africa

I realize our Lakers are the defending champs in the midst of defending thier crown, and the Dodgers are on a roll.. but let's start the discussion of that tournament which comes around only once every 4 years . I'm sure there's some of you who will be pulling for your home country, which willl lead to a surplus of debates and arguments. No specific format.. just simply your opinions regarding the 32 nations that are represented in the tourney and anything associated with the World Cup.

OK, here's mine of the opening group stages:

UNITED STATES:
In a group that has England, Algeria, & Slovenia, it seems that England is a runaway favorite and the US being a distant second.. or so it seems. Discounting both Algeria and Slovenia, could lead to the US not qualifying for 2 straight WCs. The possibility of finishing dead last may also rear its ugly head. Chance of the United States advancing to the knock out phase 45%.

MEXICO:
Phew.. in my opinion this might as well be the group of death in this World Cup. There are favorable elements working here though.. France will be in their first WC since the retirement of their field general Zidane, and for some odd reason they failed to recognize the importance Benzema, and omitted him from their lineup. Then you have Uruguay who have one of the most prolific finishers in the World (Forlan) and can get through to the next round. Then lookee here.. South Africa, the host nation. This is difficult to call but I still give Mexico a 45% chance as well to advance to the next round. They have a few talented young players that could push them through.

I'm off to lunch and will add a few more countris later on.. via post edit.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Argentina is a mess even with Messi!!!! But its those sky-blue and whites all the way for me.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM

my teams are the U.S. and MEXICO. I really think with Davis not making the team it's going to slow down the pace for the U.S. that guy is SO fast !
Old 05-18-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mexico has a weak team right now ..

I think Portugal or Spain might take it
Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 PM

Portugal ftw cant wait till it starts
Old 05-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Actually, I'll just keep adding..

SOUTH KOREA:
Having drawn Argentina, Greece and Nigeria in their groups, it looks pretty bad for the South Koreans. The saving grace here is that although Argentina is the clear favorite in the group, the other 3 teams are ranked 32, 35 and 37 (ESPN SPI), and on paper seem pretty even. That said, I would give Nigeria the slight edge over Greece and South Korea. South Korea's chance to advance: 30%.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 PM

imho, Argentina is the 2nd best team going into the tourney behind Spain. Portugal certainly is one of the best teams, with arguably one of the best players in the game. Deco's really good too. I do think Mexico has a very strong team.. they just need to run through the gauntlet in order to advance.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:02 PM

While they havent looked that great, you can never count the Brazilians or Italians out either. Weve seen many many many favorites not do much in past WCs. Italy was an 11 to 1 underdog to win it last time and are around the same odds this time. I dont think Italy will win it this time though...
Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM

Can't wait until June 11.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 PM

Ronaldinho = the most questionable non-selection in all of WC 2010. The Italians always play well, and seem to field a veteran squad.. always.

Quick Reply: World Cup 2010 South Africa