California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

This is why the country is bankrupt LOL

Old 05-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by herrjr
Originally Posted by mrjulius' timestamp='1305932938' post='20598583
Mother Teresa was not saint, that's for sure. Her hard-line stance against contraception and abortion, a belief in the spiritual goodness of poverty, and alleged baptisms of the dying are just naive, or worse, evil.
Your judgement of Mother Teresa is yours, and I vehemently disagree. Buddha also spoke about the spiritual goodness of poverty.
Whoa whoa -- Buddhism's definition of poverty and Mother Teresa's are apples and oranges.
Major difference between relinquishing the tethers of dualistic thought (possession, happiness, etc) and what she did.

I agree with Julius on ol' Ma Teresa 100%...many of her actions were anything but saintly.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is getting good, no time to read up yet but excited thus far.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by mrjulius' timestamp='1305932295' post='20598550
You place trust in the individual, I place trust in the government. I think we're both naive and it lies somewhere in the middle.

Hmmm, then I would say that individuals can do far less damage to society than governments, and that I happen to believe in the inherent goodness of individuals. I don't think that governments are inherently good at all. It's like the saying, "absolute power leads to absolute corruption." Any individual that has done tremendous havoc to a society has done so because government gave him/her that power. But, certain individuals that have done tremendous good have done so without need of government, such as Gandhi, Mother Teresa, to name a few.

I don't think you believe in the goodness of individuals. I base this on the idea that if you did, you would take the stance that there must be a benign reason as to why people are on welfare.

You are too quick to point the accusatory finger at welfare recipients. That's not very trusting of you.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Old 05-21-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjulius
Originally Posted by herrjr' timestamp='1305932684' post='20598568
[quote name='mrjulius' timestamp='1305932295' post='20598550']
You place trust in the individual, I place trust in the government. I think we're both naive and it lies somewhere in the middle.

Hmmm, then I would say that individuals can do far less damage to society than governments, and that I happen to believe in the inherent goodness of individuals. I don't think that governments are inherently good at all. It's like the saying, "absolute power leads to absolute corruption." Any individual that has done tremendous havoc to a society has done so because government gave him/her that power. But, certain individuals that have done tremendous good have done so without need of government, such as Gandhi, Mother Teresa, to name a few.

I don't think you believe in the goodness of individuals. I base this on the idea that if you did, you would take the stance that there must be a benign reason as to why people are on welfare.

You are too quick to point the accusatory finger at welfare recipients. That's not very trusting of you.
[/quote]

Or maybe like me he has witnessed how many people abuse it. I personally know of quite a few people who laugh about "working the system". It makes me furious but they're unaware of my thoughts due to circumstances. They are proud of abusing it. Of the people I know on welfare or who have used it the % of abusers is insanely high. I know this to be the case for many people having talked about it and found many other people have discovered the same situation.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by mrjulius
I'd argue that you should look in the mirror at yourself and how you really feel about people, and whether or not it is your responsibility to help "the poor" as you call it or merely "the government's responsibility," instead of seeking to judge me.

Regardless of the objective veracity of my personal belief in the goodness of individuals, that has nothing to do with my belief in the historical position that this country has regarding the fruits of a man's labor; namely, that that which one has produced for one's self completely by one's own labor, whose use is to be entirely determined by said producer, is the fundamental aspect of a (truly) free society.

The problems and concerns of others that I do not wish to trouble myself about are not MY problem. I have the freedom to choose to not care about anyone else's problems, and any legislation that forces me to care for the problems of others through the removal of the fruits of my production from my pockets has impinged upon my freedom, and the freedom of all the others that produce for themselves. We have seen what havoc that governments can wreak when freedoms are eroded, and these problems only increase the more that the people ask for "the government" to solve THEIR problems.

In any case, if you care so much about helping the poor as you would have the government do so, then I suggest that you live a life devoted to the needs of "the poor," or perhaps donate the money spent on anything other than basic necessities to a private organization that does such a thing. If however, you would rather prioritize in your life your own wants, needs, and desires (like racing your Volvo) over the problems of "the poor," then all I can say is that if you do not ask of it yourself from your own life, then do not ask it of mine, which you do by supporting a group (and a mentality) that is not in line with how you are currently living your life now.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:56 PM

Leeches will leech as long as a host allows it. If anyone thinks that the leeches should continue to be fed and rewarded, by all means sell your s2k, your personal belongings, and donate it all to the leeches, then well see who puts their money where their mouth is. Its easy to spend someone elses money.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrjulius' timestamp='1305936688' post='20598763
I'd argue that you should look in the mirror at yourself and how you really feel about people, and whether or not it is your responsibility to help "the poor" as you call it or merely "the government's responsibility," instead of seeking to judge me.

Regardless of the objective veracity of my personal belief in the goodness of individuals, that has nothing to do with my belief in the historical position that this country has regarding the fruits of a man's labor; namely, that that which one has produced for one's self completely by one's own labor, whose use is to be entirely determined by said producer, is the fundamental aspect of a (truly) free society.

The problems and concerns of others that I do not wish to trouble myself about are not MY problem. I have the freedom to choose to not care about anyone else's problems, and any legislation that forces me to care for the problems of others through the removal of the fruits of my production from my pockets has impinged upon my freedom, and the freedom of all the others that produce for themselves. We have seen what havoc that governments can wreak when freedoms are eroded, and these problems only increase the more that the people ask for "the government" to solve THEIR problems.

In any case, if you care so much about helping the poor as you would have the government do so, then I suggest that you live a life devoted to the needs of "the poor," or perhaps donate the money spent on anything other than basic necessities to a private organization that does such a thing. If however, you would rather prioritize in your life your own wants, needs, and desires (like racing your Volvo) over the problems of "the poor," then all I can say is that if you do not ask of it yourself from your own life, then do not ask it of mine, which you do by supporting a group (and a mentality) that is not in line with how you are currently living your life now.
You should go and live in Somalia if you hate government so much and can't stand the idea of taxation; it's a libertarian's paradise.

Let me know how it works out!
Old 05-22-2011, 02:14 AM

Btw, you should look up the definition of a straw man argument. It's exactly what you are constructing.

I am just arguing that food stamps are not the bane of all evil you seem to think they are and do not deserve to be wiped out; that kind of limited thinking is plainly short sighted, considering their relatively inconsequential impact on the federal budget.

I am not arguing for the expansion of government or anything remotely related to that. Focus on what I am saying.

I can not make it any clearer.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:41 AM

It's also not necessary to jump to an all-or-nothing conclusion just because Julio has sympathy and compassion.

Quick Reply: This is why the country is bankrupt LOL