California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

This is why the country is bankrupt LOL

Old 05-20-2011, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This one act isn't the reason our country is bankrupt, but the irresponsible spending it points to IS. Also the poorly managed system are as well.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Dave
Oh, come on, Mr Julius -- you know in your heart of hearts this one guy abusing food stamps is the reason our country is bankrupt.

I mean, he's the reason we started 2 wars and (for the first time in American history) had absolutely no plan on how to pay for them.

Its not the matter of this one guy, its a matter of principle. If hes able to still get food stamps, how many others are totally ABUSING the system? And to Mr. Julius, who says no one is bitching about that other stuff, I see LOTS of people bitching about it. Infact, Ill bitch about it right now. Why should the GREEDY banks and insurance companies get handed all of that taxpayer money, and then not even do what they were supposed to with it??? Would have been better to let them fail, the stinging would have been very strong, short term, but longterm the country would be in better shape. It was also GREED like this that saw a 2,000 sq ft houses go from being worth 250k to 750k in one year. That is the issue at heart here, GREED, its the principle of the matter.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:55 AM

The current foodstamp/welfare system is like putting sugar out for the ants.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:56 AM

I believe that the single biggest improvement we can have is what Julio already mentioned which is less gov't involvement on a federal level.

I'm actually ready to say "The United States are..." instead of "The United States is...."

Too few choices as this country's state power has been turned over to the federal gov't. If I could change just one thing, it'd be that alone.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by mrjulius
Quit your bitching. I don't see a lot of people complaining about the trillions spent on bailing out banks, or on defense, or pensions, or... yea.

Yea, cut food stamps/welfare. That's what's important. Oh wait, food stamps account for 2.8% of the budget as opposed to military spending at 25%, for example.

I'm all for reducing the breadth and reach of the federal government, but focusing on people who barely make ends meet, that's some bullshit.

This isnt focusing on people who barely make ends meet, if you need assistance, you need assistance. This is about the people ABUSING food stamps and other government "handouts". This guy isnt the only one, he is just bringing light to the subject. There are many more millionaires other than him collecting every government handout they can through loopholes like this. And sure, it may only amount to a small percentage of government spending, but if you cleanup ALL the little things like this, it really adds up, and it really sets the example for bigger areas as well.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 AM

Why start small when you should go big? Instead of the chasing the food stamps guys (which must be addressed but down the line I do agree) let's get BP and GE and all the big corporation, that's were the big $ are!

We ALL agree, ABUSE is the main problem. Works at every level, must be the human nature I guess...

Imperialism is killing this Nation, just like it did with all the civilizations who tried before
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 AM

^ Let's get em both.

I want capitalism to thrive here.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Excellent Point, Ben

AND NOW, FOR THE SAKE OF THE ARGUMENT...I'M GOING TO EXAMINE MR. FICK'S MONEY:

The Michigan State Lottery awards jackpots in 26 annual payments.

$2,000,000 divided by 26 is $76,923 per year.
That's about $1600 per week -- BEFORE TAXES.

We're not talking about MegaBucks, guys -- this guy won the lottery and is taking home about $1050 per week.

Suddenly everyone he's ever met is asking him for money, of course Fick wants to enjoy the money...but what money?
Sure, he's well above the poverty line but he's not rich.
Certainly not a millionaire.

I know, it's so easy to point at another person's lethargy and claim him as the poster child for what's wrong in America.
But Ben's point is valid -- Fick's "Jackpot" was a month's worth of bonuses for any high-level BP exec.
It would take like a hundred million of guys just like Fick to equal one GE.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here...so no personal attacks.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:52 AM

^ All fair enough.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Dave
Excellent Point, Ben

AND NOW, FOR THE SAKE OF THE ARGUMENT...I'M GOING TO EXAMINE MR. FICK'S MONEY:

The Michigan State Lottery awards jackpots in 26 annual payments.

$2,000,000 divided by 26 is $76,923 per year.
That's about $1600 per week -- BEFORE TAXES.

We're not talking about MegaBucks, guys -- this guy won the lottery and is taking home about $1050 per week.

Suddenly everyone he's ever met is asking him for money, of course Fick wants to enjoy the money...but what money?
Sure, he's well above the poverty line but he's not rich.
Certainly not a millionaire.

I know, it's so easy to point at another person's lethargy and claim him as the poster child for what's wrong in America.
But Ben's point is valid -- Fick's "Jackpot" was a month's worth of bonuses for any high-level BP exec.
It would take like a hundred million of guys just like Fick to equal one GE.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here...so no personal attacks.

So basically he is taking home 1k a week clean, and pretty much GUARANTEED for 26 years. Still shouldnt be getting the food stamps then. When we were talking about abuse, we werent just singling out extremely wealthy people. If he can be getting 76k a year (before taxes) and get food stamps, then that means the equivalent would be police officers, lawyers, nurses etc all getting food stamps as well. Abuse comes on many different levels, its a lot easier to catch if the wealthy people are abusing, because you can look at assets etc (not in all cases though) But its much harder to tell when someone abusing the system by being lazy but do qualify based on low income...

Quick Reply: This is why the country is bankrupt LOL