California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Who Knows...It Might Work

Old 08-23-2005, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who Knows...It Might Work

I received the following in a mass email...At this point, it's worth a try.

Subject: Want gasoline prices to come down?

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.75 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that
the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50-$1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace.... not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war. Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp (sic) out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you sends it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) .. And so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people and DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from EXXON and MOBIL. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am... so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we CAN make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

Lawrence C. Rogers
Operations Manager
Zapata Engineering
"Stay alert, be safe, and Live the Life"
Old 08-23-2005, 02:29 PM

Not another one of these...

Slightly altered.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/gasout.htm
Old 08-23-2005, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesn't seem like a bad idea...
Old 08-23-2005, 04:08 PM

Sigh... Not going to work. The only reason oil companies "get away" with charging $3/gallon, is because that is what the market will bear. The only way to reduce gas prices is to reduce your dependence on gas. Gas prices will keep going up until other options like mass transit, moving closer to work (or getting a job closer to home), getting a more fuel efficient vehicle, or getting a vehicle that doesn't use gas become more economical. I don't realistically see this happening until gas prices are at least $5/gallon. This isn't some major conspiracy by the oil companies. It's simple economics.

Get a job close to home and ride your bike every day. You'll reduce your fuel costs to nearly nothing, and be a lot healthier for it. I know most people will say "I can't do this." But at some point the cost of fuel will change this to "I have to do this."
Old 08-23-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by tool462,Aug 23 2005, 05:08 PM
Sigh... Not going to work. The only reason oil companies "get away" with charging $3/gallon, is because that is what the market will bear. The only way to reduce gas prices is to reduce your dependence on gas. Gas prices will keep going up until other options like mass transit, moving closer to work (or getting a job closer to home), getting a more fuel efficient vehicle, or getting a vehicle that doesn't use gas become more economical. I don't realistically see this happening until gas prices are at least $5/gallon. This isn't some major conspiracy by the oil companies. It's simple economics.

Get a job close to home and ride your bike every day. You'll reduce your fuel costs to nearly nothing, and be a lot healthier for it. I know most people will say "I can't do this." But at some point the cost of fuel will change this to "I have to do this."
Bingo

And the only way it'll happen is consistently, over a long period of time.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by SEVNT4,Aug 23 2005, 04:26 PM
Bingo

And the only way it'll happen is consistently, over a long period of time.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:44 AM

I like how he insults your math intelligence skills. I cannot think of a better way to get people on board with you!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:50 AM
Kel