California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Where to Buy Dogs?

Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to Buy Dogs?

Anybody know of a good place to buy dogs? Specifically looking for a chihuahua.

I'd like to go to alternative places rather than big pet stores. Example: animal shelter (if only their dogs weren't crazy and ugly).

Anybody know how I'd find breeders?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:04 AM

craiglist?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 AM

recycler.com
Old 09-10-2007, 11:19 AM
kix

Penny saver. As long as you dont want a pure breed. I got my chihuahua there and she's been healthy and a great dog over all.

Be sure to get one that is at 12+ weeks old. Things you want to check for are bad knee caps (observe the parents) and moleras (which is not a big thing for them but might be for you). Also, training in the first 6 months is critical. If you want a mellow/friendly chihuahua, be sure to introduce her to a lot of people (family and friends) otherwise they tend to become very protective and agressive to strangers.

Chihuahua's also are very smart and love to impress their owners. I had mine litter boxed trained when she was 8 months old and too this day (she's 3.5 years old now) she likes to wake me up and lead me to her cat poo box to show me what she did for her reward.

HOpe the search goes well for you. If your willing to drive out to vegas, My uncle has 3 chihuahua pups that are about 5 weeks old now.

Some pics

Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson,Sep 10 2007, 11:04 AM
craiglist?
I've tried craigslist. I think they put a ban on putting animals up for sale though. I can't find any up for sale, and the ones I do find are all flagged for removal. Still been checking regularly.

Thank you though.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by khuezee,Sep 10 2007, 11:09 AM
recycler.com
Great one. Will be looking through this a lot in the next few weeks.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get one from the POUND dude.

abandoned chi hua huas are everywhere in LA. check pounds in neighborhoods with high Mexican population.

it'll practically cost you nothing.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by kix,Sep 10 2007, 11:19 AM
Penny saver. As long as you dont want a pure breed. I got my chihuahua there and she's been healthy and a great dog over all.

Be sure to get one that is at 12+ weeks old. Things you want to check for are bad knee caps (observe the parents) and moleras (which is not a big thing for them but might be for you). Also, training in the first 6 months is critical. If you want a mellow/friendly chihuahua, be sure to introduce her to a lot of people (family and friends) otherwise they tend to become very protective and agressive to strangers.

Chihuahua's also are very smart and love to impress their owners. I had mine litter boxed trained when she was 8 months old and too this day (she's 3.5 years old now) she likes to wake me up and lead me to her cat poo box to show me what she did for her reward.

HOpe the search goes well for you. If your willing to drive out to vegas, My uncle has 3 chihuahua pups that are about 5 weeks old now.

Some pics

Good looking dog you got there.

A drive out to Vegas actually isn't a problem at all. In fact, two of my closest friends are out there until Wednesday this week.

Question about your uncle's dogs: What color are they? Gender? And most importantly: is he looking to sell one of them? I wouldn't want to pressure somebody into giving up a dog they had planned to keep.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ToeKneeC,Sep 10 2007, 12:05 PM

abandoned chi hua huas are everywhere in LA. check pounds in neighborhoods with high Mexican population.

and you'll be saving a little guy from the gas chamber
Old 09-10-2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ToeKneeC,Sep 10 2007, 12:05 PM

I actually have visited the Glendale and Pasadena Animal Shelters. They don't have any half-decent looking dogs. I think Pasadena had one, but it was an angry little fellow.

I'd definitely prefer to "rescue" a dog from a shelter above all else, but not if it's going to be a little punk. I guess I'm not THAT into them. =X

Quick Reply: Where to Buy Dogs?