California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

WAMU/CHASE credit card fraud

Old 01-23-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn Lee, a lot BS always happens like this to you Hope something gets resolved in your favor though, because you obviously were here, and can prove that you never went there
Old 01-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow this is horrible...like u suggested earlier you might have to go to court i dont know why your hitting walls at every turn...phone companies wont give you detailed listings without a court order? its your phone bill! this is horrible and i hope you get it resolved without losing a penny. Gluck
Old 01-23-2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by leester01' date='Jan 23 2009, 12:15 PM
Yes,the balance and fraudulant cash advance charges are carried over to the new account number.
Everything's the same only the account number's has changed.
I held for 25 minutes and had to get back to work so I hung up waiting
dude, ive totally been there in regards to the waiting and holding and getting no where with those crappy automated systems, esp those ones that make you say stuff...occasionally, just randomly cussing out the machine would get me connected to a human....

anyway, maybe because its a friday and everyone just wants to breeze through the day
but yea man, thats some seriously crappy service!

If so, ask her how the hell did you make call from your home in CA and get a cash advance in NY the same day?
definitely bring that up and good luck man, hope you catch a break on this
Old 01-23-2009, 04:51 PM

Good luck with it Lee. And I thought my $53.00 overcharge from a dumb bartender was bad.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:18 PM

I was in a similar situation with a stolen credit card about a year back. Couldn't get anything resolve over the phone with them. Finally after several months of calling and idling on the phone with reps that couldn't do anything, I decided to draft a letter challenging the charges. I sent the letter via certify mail and I also faxed the letter to the fraud department. Within a week I recieved a letter from the CC company clearing all the charges.
hope i could be of some help.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Back-cracker' date='Jan 23 2009, 10:37 AM
Just cancel the cards. Like m last thread, CHASE/WAMU sucks Donkey.

Just pay cash
I've had Wamu for a long time. They do not suck, even though this case does.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jlammy' date='Jan 23 2009, 02:13 PM
They have records that you made a call from your home phone? I call BS on that because depending on the call center, most of them don't have caller ID capability that can identify your phone number when you call in unless you enter it on their IVR, and even then sometimes it doesn't go through.

Also, check to see the location of the cash advance. Some places do not require an PIN if you do it in person. For example, you can just walk into some bank with an ID matching the CC and get a cash advance without a PIN. The problem is that they said you used your PIN....

I am guessing that you actually have a home phone in addition to your cell phone??? If so, ask her how the hell did you make call from your home in CA and get a cash advance in NY the same day?

Edit: do you shred your financial documents?
Unless you block your number, it will come up...name and number comes up on our phone at work.....
Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm very interested in how you resolve this case. I'm currently in a situation like this. My card wasn't wrongfully charged by a lot, but I'd still like my money back. I might do the letter deal luvschnauzers suggested.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 AM

*Update: What a headache

I called AT&T back and talked to a rep that actually had her head out of her ass this time. I explained the entire situation so she understood the severity.
Good part-they can send me a detailed statement of my home phone calls and she has no idea why the previous rep told me otherwise.
Bad part-toll free numbers do not show up on the statement.
She added that she doubts that they have equipment that captures caller ID information but it's possible.
I was also informed that even if your telephone is blocked it will show up if you're calling a 1-800 number.

So back to square one. I called my dad last night and explained what happened.
From what I know he has a fairly large account with WAMU/Chase and they're always trying to get more of his business.
The branch manager got on the and told him to have me come in tomorrow with a police report and the phone bill and she will have the fraudulent cash advances reversed.
She explained that the fraud dept did think I set this all up because it's a common scam that customers attempt by giving or selling their information to friends and then clam it as fraud.
They have to try to do what they can to try and sort out the real from the fake claims but there's no sure way to do this. I say they need a more secure system for cash advances but I learned my lesson and as soon as this gets resolved I'm closing the account.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:34 AM

Even though this is resolved I was still wondering how this all happened.
In the beginning of my thread I thought "must be an inside job" so I thought to myself is there any other possibilities?
Is there a way someone could tap into my phone or make my number appear on the other parties caller ID display?
I did a little investigating and it turns out there's "Caller ID Spoof" software that anyone can buy to make any number they want display on the receiving parties caller ID!
Google search:Caller ID spoof
The sad part is crooks don't even have to have one of these.They can just call from any number and verbally verify your home telephone number.

Next I wanted to know how the info off my card was stolen and reproduced.
It's pretty scary to do a Google search on this and see all the product options that pop up. I read through some of it and found out that some of the new card scanners are so good that you don't have to swipe a card through it to steal the info off the mag strip!
Just wave the small scanner over the card and it picks up the information and stores it!

All someone would need to compromise your account is your name,credit card scanner to steal in info off your mag strip,home phone number,caller ID spoof software to call in and get or create your PIN,and the readily available machine to create clone credit card strips and they're off to the ATM to wipe you out without ever setting foot in bank or coming face to face with another person!

Quick Reply: WAMU/CHASE credit card fraud