California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

on used car dmv bill of sale

Old 06-15-2005, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default on used car dmv bill of sale

does anyone know how low you can write the sale price for on a clean title 04 and not raise any flags? just trying to save what i can.

thank you
Old 06-15-2005, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would write up for 20000 jsut to be safe,,,, u can go lower but lower u go is more risk that u have to take....
Old 06-15-2005, 01:17 AM

wait... what exactly can the DMV do? charge you taxes for something you didn't pay? If your buying a used car the government has already taxed that car when it was sold new. there fore they are taxing something that has been taxed before. that doesn't sound right to me. Also who is the DMV to say how much anyone can sell anything for? lets say you sold the car to your brother or friend who also happens to owe you say X amount. in return he sells you his car for cheap to pay off the debts. lets say he has an S2k. do you get my drift? correct me if i'm wrong. maybe i just don't like seeing the gov. screw over its citizens.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:38 AM

agreed. i dont like it anymore than you do. gov is getting double tax for a single item. but i'm just worried about the dmv or irs looking into it, not that they would waste their time on little old me.

anyone know if it is dangerous to say that the car is a gift (there is a check box for that)?

any additional advice would b appreciated.

thnx
Old 06-15-2005, 01:43 AM

Okay, you can sell it to someone for a dollar...as long as you sign off that is how much it was sold for...they have no idea how much the true price is. I bought my Audi TT for $XXK amount of money, and when we signed the papers for it, it was a lower "signed" price. If you are selling it to a relative, there aren't any problems, if its a friend I would seriously have a reciept for thousands less.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:08 AM

Dude I would put it for dirt cheap. When I sold my old car I let the guy put $100 and it worked. You can say you traded something for the car (like an expensive piece of jewelry or something) and they have no way of proving you wrong.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:34 AM

thank you guys for your help. is there any chance of the seller getting in trouble for this? he is a friend and i don't want any trouble coming his way.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:13 AM

u should be okay.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:34 AM

Umm.. they can reject your amount and tax you for what they think the value of the car is (they calculate registration based on car value, remember?).. I've never seen it happen, but they can do that if you go too low.

Also, there are a few things that qualify for a no tax transfer.. like family, gift, etc....
Old 06-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok. Not to be an ASS, but you shouldn't post things like this. This is HIGHLY ILLEGAL, JAIL TIME + BIG FINE.

Now do remember, My04 is 25+K and change.
You mark that sucker down to let say... 15K
You think the insurance company is going to pay out 25K when that car is totaled?

Just be aware of this. Good luck w. sale!

Quick Reply: on used car dmv bill of sale