University Insiders: Illegal Immigrants Get Affirmative Action

Old 06-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k
Originally Posted by ESCALVANTE' timestamp='1307035394' post='20642330
[quote name='hapybrian' timestamp='1306980014' post='20640330']
[quote name='skizzo82' timestamp='1305953903' post='20599311']
haha.. killem all!!!
Yeah!! Who needs a well-kempt lawn anyway!?
I do!!!!

Edit: I'll try to make a point that we all reap the benefits of illegal immigration.

I live in a predominantly "white" neighborhood and most of my neighbors employ illegal Mexicans for monthly gardening and pool services. Not Southern Americans, Mexicans. I pay two Mexicans for my gardening and pool services as well.

I would like to know what Herrjr and 05TurboS2k think about most of us employing illegals to do our gardening and pool services because they offer the cheapest prices. Keep in mind we pay them in cash.
[/quote]

My bad, missed this post.

I of course think it's wrong. I may have missed why it was important to specify that they were or weren't Mexican specifically unless some other opinions vary from mine in that respect. For me, of course I don't condone illegal labor. I find it unfair to both parties and a breakdown of our social and economic structure.

In WA state you'd find legal (yes white too) Americans doing the services, the prices aren't honestly much higher but they're a little higher but hey, they have to pay taxes and they have a family to feed. I personally am friends with a white guy in his late 40's who has 2 kids and own his little landscaping business. He has one other employee who is Vietnamese and legal. This is common practice up there. Down here he literally couldn't survive unless he avoided taxes as the illegals are able to.

I figure that my position on this is no real surprise nor is the info given.
[/quote]

Your post is obviously made from an ignorant position. Ignorant in the sense that you have nary a clue what most illegals do for this country. Sounds like you take all the worst factors and unfairly draw hasty conclusions about a whole group of people.

I've explained this to you about four times in the past, and I hope it sticks this time. Most illegals have ITINs which means they pay their fair share of taxes with no guarantee that they will eventually be qualified for citizenship. Additionally, lost of immigrants that fabricate SSNs have taxes taken from their paychecks without ever getting a tax refund. Point is that a lot illegal immigrants pay taxes so I feel they should be entitled to those various rights currently afforded to them by our government.

You may argue that a lot of illegals use up our medical resources but just keep in mind that others pay taxes without ever receiving anything.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by herrjr
Originally Posted by cvjoint' timestamp='1307042714' post='20642958
[quote name='herrjr' timestamp='1307031841' post='20642079']

Who made what blanketing statement?
My claim was not that every illegal immigrant is like Edwin Ramos, but that some are.
My claim is that illegal aliens cost the state of CA money; they do.
My claim is that anyone who is in the United States without the proper documentation, is an illegal alien, which by definition they are.
I was not responding to any of your claims.

Here, I'll tackle 1:
"My claim is that illegal aliens cost the state of CA money; they do."

Sincerely doubt it. The low wages immigrants are paid more than make up for the fact that they don't contribute in taxes. There also enough clauses for qualifying for safety nets, grants, scholarships that most illegals don't qualify. Most illegals also wouldn't dare apply for fear of getting deported. The value of work/$ is a lot higher for an illegal then it is for your same skill level citizen, even after you account for contributions to IRS, pension plans etc. Give aliens full rights as an option and they will take it. Why not? Same work, better benefits. Then when you do get a chance to pick up a green card you pay into the system. Out of that bellow minimum wage job they find a way to pay thousands for being illegal. Who's benefiting?

Here is the problem with low wage America. They want a minimum wage, yet they don't have the skills and work ethic to deserve it. So then you impose a minimum wage. That's fine, but businesses react by going to the black market. Take the black market away (evict all illegals). What do you get? Outsourcing. Then you wonder why the state has budget problems. You can only force rich people and businesses to pay so much over what you are worth. They ALWAYS find ways to go around, whether that means replacing a no skill worker with a machine, or paying under the table, or outsourcing. That's because they have the means to do it. We live in an industrialized, globalized world.

You want to get rid of illegals, fine, it won't solve your problem. The problem is laziness and entitlement of low skilled citizens. Remove the minimum wage, see what they are worth.
Read the article, which stated that they cost the state of California ALONE over $5 billion annually. Every year, there is a state deficit in the billions. Do the math.

I agree, the minimum wage is stupid. And with NAFTA, there's no reason why some workers have to be in this country anymore to earn that money. If citizens who are low-skilled weren't supported by welfare, then they would have to work to live and be on the same field as the illegals, which would then increase the competition at the bottom. Thus, I highly doubt that so many illegals would come if it weren't so easy to find work here to begin with.
[/quote]

Read my last post about how illegals pay taxes. It's unfortunate that you would simply grab one side of the story and run with it.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:32 PM

I know this is anecdotal, but when I went to the ER last Friday, only one person that I witnessed did not have insurance, and he was an undocumented worker from Peru who had 5 kids and was unemployed.

I don't know what that means, but it was depressing.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by mrjulius
I know this is anecdotal, but when I went to the ER last Friday, only one person that I witnessed did not have insurance, and he was an undocumented worker from Peru who had 5 kids and was unemployed.

Anecdotally, the nurses that I know that work at county say that about 80% have no insurance, most being native Spanish speakers. Again, their stories, not mine.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ESCALVANTE
Read my last post about how illegals pay taxes. It's unfortunate that you would simply grab one side of the story and run with it.
Read the article from the LA Times, and complain to its author and the newspaper. All I state are facts.

Now the ones stealing SSNs too have committed another federal crime. Now that's someone that I really want to have living next to me!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ESCALVANTE
You may argue that a lot of illegals use up our medical resources but just keep in mind that others pay taxes without ever receiving anything.
I pay without ever receiving anything either. What I do receive, I have taken directly out of my paycheck, except I don't get to say no. Funny how that works.

Anyhow, if you had read one of my proposed "solutions," you would have seen that I'm not ignoring the fact that so many of them are already here.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by mrjulius' timestamp='1307057570' post='20643871

Anecdotally, the nurses that I know that work at county say that about 80% have no insurance, most being native Spanish speakers. Again, their stories, not mine.
Needless to say, there's something not quite right here.

That one guy looked beaten down, though, embarrassed to be there. I felt pretty sympathetic.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by herrjr' timestamp='1307057765' post='20643884
[quote name='mrjulius' timestamp='1307057570' post='20643871']

That one guy looked beaten down, though, embarrassed to be there. I felt pretty sympathetic.
[/quote]

Did you give him any cash from your pocket?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by mrjulius' timestamp='1307058233' post='20643916
[quote name='herrjr' timestamp='1307057765' post='20643884']
[quote name='mrjulius' timestamp='1307057570' post='20643871']

[/quote]

Did you give him any cash from your pocket?
[/quote]

I didn't have any cash on me... but I was a bit more concerned with my unhappy triad.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:49 PM

I didn't have any cash on me... but I was a bit more concerned with my unhappy triad.
They always look unhappy.

Quick Reply: University Insiders: Illegal Immigrants Get Affirmative Action