Traffic Court Process - front plate, exhaust, & failure to signal

Old 07-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Traffic Court Process - front plate, exhaust, & failure to signal

I got a ticket for the following back in 12/23/10:
- correctable front plate
- NON-correctable modified exhaust
- failure to signal

Now, I put my front plate back on, and put my complete stock exhaust back on the car. I was lucky enough to get a CHP officer to sign off both tickets after several tries. For the first few tries, they told me that I had to go to the state referee place. Is this "singing-off" legit in court since a CHP officer signed off the ticket and not a referee station?

So, my courtdate is tomorrow, 07/11/11. I want to plead guilty and show the judge that I fixed the front plate and the non-correctable exhaust ticket, and ask him/her to change it to CORRECTABLE, and pay $25 each for the front plate and exhaust. Regarding the failure to signal, I don't even want to bother fighting that since it is his word against mine.

Now, I have the following questions:

1. Since being able to do traffic school is the most important for me, I want to make being able to traffic school my number one priority. I can take traffic school for the "failure to signal" moving violation. I heard that by the time you find out if the officer showed up or not, you already gave up your right to go to traffic school. Is this true?

2. Can I find out first if the citing officer is there before pleading guilty or not guilty? Obviously, if the officer is not there, I would plead not guilty and have the case dismissed. I'm not sure how the process goes. I'm not sure if he stays hidden in the back somewhere until I plead not guilty. Lol.

3. If the citing officer shows up, and I do this (plead guilty, but ask to change the exhaust ticket to correctable), will I be eligible for traffic school? Traffic school is the most important to me. When is the latest time to ask for traffic school?

If someone can explain how the process goes, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. false, the judge will call you and the officer up and then you are to plead guilty or not guilty.
2. Yes, if the officer is not present you will automatically win your case. Again, the judge will call you both up and if he is there you can plead guilty and ask request traffic school.
2 again. Yes, you must accept traffic school once it is offered to you right after you plead guilty.

you're welcome.