California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Trade car question...

Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade car question...

Lately I've been thinking about getting out of my S2K and into something more economical and commuter friendly (auto tranny). All I do with my car is drive to and from work. It is just a commuter car now. I don't do anything fun with it anymore so I think its better to move on to something to just move me around.

Having said that this is my only car and I need get around. It would be great if I could sell my car and then buy another but it would be easiest to do a straight trade. Was wondering what might be a good car to try and trade my S2K for. What would be an equivalent pricewise nowadays?

2000 S2K with 52K miles.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For price....

Probably makes no sense to sell it. You'll end up buying a new car, paying tax and license and the MPG won't make up your losses for years to come and you'll be driving a boring car instead everyday.

That said, if you need more room or something that might be another story. Still buying/selling cars in general = money wasted.

Perhaps just consider another cheap economical car or a larger vehicle used when you need the extra space.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 AM

Also your milage is low for your year.... that said, even more reason to commute on that car since the price won't drop much at all by adding another 40k miles on it.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Jan 14 2010, 10:00 AM
For price....

Probably makes no sense to sell it. You'll end up buying a new car, paying tax and license and the MPG won't make up your losses for years to come and you'll be driving a boring car instead everyday.

That said, if you need more room or something that might be another story. Still buying/selling cars in general = money wasted.

Perhaps just consider another cheap economical car or a larger vehicle used when you need the extra space.
Not buying a new car. Want to trade someone for a different car. Something more comfortable (auto tranny) and more economical.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Jan 14 2010, 10:00 AM
For price....

So is sitting on a car for years and not drive it because of a blown motor
Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 AM

I hear ya... but you'll take a loss for taxes/registration etc that probably won't make up the more "economical" choice.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:03 AM

I say sell it and get yourself into something you will be happy with!

No matter how you look at it you will always loose money on cars.... If you use the mentality of "oh no its better to keep it cause im gonna loose my ass on it" So your gonna keep it forever and never get another car cause you don't want to loose out on it.

Its a cycle, sell it and get a new one
Old 01-14-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Jan 14 2010, 10:02 AM
I hear ya... but you'll take a loss for taxes/registration etc that probably won't make up the more "economical" choice.
I understand...the economical thing is just more of a bonus I guess. I would use cheaper gas, replacement parts would be cheaper, I wouldn't care if I replaced needed parts with reman parts or whatever. With the S2K I try to use quality products.

The main concern though is just that I want something more comfortable. I commute from LA to Torrance and back everyday in traffic. I want something with an auto tranny. I was thinking a TSX or an IS300 might be a good trade?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by suhster85,Jan 14 2010, 10:08 AM
I understand...the economical thing is just more of a bonus I guess. I would use cheaper gas, replacement parts would be cheaper, I wouldn't care if I replaced needed parts with reman parts or whatever. With the S2K I try to use quality products.

The main concern though is just that I want something more comfortable. I commute from LA to Torrance and back everyday in traffic. I want something with an auto tranny. I was thinking a TSX or an IS300 might be a good trade?
Honestly I think the TSX would get you better MPG then the IS..... My bro had one (01) and it wasn't so great. He ended up selling his 2 months ago for $8500 with 110k on the speedo.

Then again, I rather have a IS for the RWD factor
Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM

TSX is a nice car, but you'd prob have to trade for a higher mileage TSX as your S is 00' (as mine is )

I guess if you get lucky and find someone who realllly wants to trade for a S, you could get the TSX.

Even with the low mileage, I would say your S' value (for sale) would be around 10-11k depending on its condition. I know mine is probably around that by now.....

Quick Reply: Trade car question...