California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Tough Career decision...need advice please

Old 10-01-2004 | 09:42 AM

Thanks for the info Mike, I knew all that info several months ago though. The physical test is not a problem for me. I am thinking my recent back problem would be a problem.

Ryan
Old 10-01-2004 | 09:57 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by OverBooster,Oct 1 2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the info Mike, I knew all that info several months ago though. The physical test is not a problem for me. I am thinking my recent back problem would be a problem.

Ryan
The physical test is a problem for you. I'm not sure of the L5 will handle the 6 laps, situps and pushups. The compression effects of running will take a toll, along with the rest of the test, w/ exception for the pullup test.

From my experience, you, I and 68% of the population are not fit for those tests. (overweight-Don't worry, I've come to terms and out of denial stage) You see many people failing the regular police test. I know this is a dream job, but focus on what is real, and beneficial for you in the future.

Do you like to live life being concealed? Think about your future family and kids. Most of those guys are single and die at an early age.

BC
Old 10-01-2004 | 09:59 AM
Community Organizer

BTW: On a 40K salary, 65K for a veteran, you'll never own that dream porche 911 turbo like you told me. Keep the insurance job, there is potential.

BC
Old 10-01-2004 | 10:06 AM

I know right now that my spine could not handle those tests. It was only about 6 months ago when I still was running a mile or two a week along with other excersises.

I think where the thread got slightly off is the assumption that I am displeased with my current job. I love what I do now, it boils down to what I can/want to do more. There is definitely a lot more money potential where I am now.
Old 10-01-2004 | 12:46 PM

But how cool would it be to flip out or wallet and say, "Special Agent Overbooster."

Serioulsy though, dont let 'feeling like a jerk' prevent you from leaving the company. You're in this game of life for yourself, not some corporate entity. Do what you wanna do based on economics/risk/prefferance, not emotion. my.02
Old 10-01-2004 | 12:48 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by r_duff,Oct 1 2004, 12:46 PM
But how cool would it be to flip out or wallet and say, "Special Agent Overbooster."

Serioulsy though, dont let 'feeling like a jerk' prevent you from leaving the company. You're in this game of life for yourself, not some corporate entity. Do what you wanna do based on economics/risk/prefferance, not emotion. my.02

They do have an intern program. Look into it.

BC
Old 10-01-2004 | 05:37 PM

Do you like to live life being concealed? Think about your future family and kids. Most of those guys are single and die at an early age.
That's kind of rough. I had to make that decision at 22 when I applied for a job with the canadian equivalent of the CIA. I decided that I'm such an open person that it would be against my nature, and I would really miss out on alot. Something to think about.

On the other hand, don't feel like you're being a jerk if you do decide to leave. You're a good person, and that's a normal feeling...after they've but all the training into you. But don't let it hold you back. I felt the same way you do, about 6 months ago.

I turned down a job with more money, a guaranteed long-term visa and possible Green card because I wanted to stay loyal to my current company. I knew that it would be an extreme hardship if I left because I'm the only one running the computer systems. Well...last week, we got bought out and they're basically f**king me over because of my visa situation. Company policy means more to them than my 2+ years of loyal service. Just spent the day down in TJ renewing my temp visa, being treated like an illegal. I'm sooo regretting turning down that job offer now! I'm looking for a new job now.

Sooo...go with what YOU want to do and don't let guilt get in the way! Good luck! Either way, we'll miss you!

p.s. Anyone need a web developer?