California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

To those about to get married

Old 02-08-2007, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To those about to get married

Just read this. What do y'all think. I feel like bC now posting a thread like this.....

'I'm really not bitter about this at all, but I have to tell you the truth. You are far more likely to be happy if you don't get married and don't have kids.

Marriage: I know you feel all in love, but this too shall pass. In the long run, very, very few people believe they made a wise decision by marrying.

Kids: I realize that this is one of the strongest urges, instincts, whatever you want to call it that we have. Women have this desire manyfold, on average, what we men have.

Fact is, kids are extremely (be sure to read the word "extremely" with extreme emphasis) time-consuming, stressful, expensive, etc. While it is true that is can be very rewarding, you would probably be just as happy or happier in the long run without them.

Society doesn't extol my advice as virtuous, and very few of you will escape marriage and kids, but you ought to consider it.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:17 AM

im not gonna have kids and im not gonna get married.

im just gonna have girlfriends
Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 AM

Wow, where is that from?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nicotunes,Feb 8 2007, 11:18 AM
Wow, where is that from?

Don't worry about it. What do you think about it. LOL..
Old 02-08-2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kekoa,Feb 8 2007, 11:16 AM
Marriage: I know you feel all in love, but this too shall pass. In the long run, very, very few people believe they made a wise decision by marrying.

Kids: I realize that this is one of the strongest urges, instincts, whatever you want to call it that we have. Women have this desire manyfold, on average, what we men have.
Marriage: I agree with Kyras in BC's thread (I am adding my own spin to it): There is no need to regret getting married even if you split. It was the right thing to do at the time....if you change direction in life, that may be unfortunate and even painful, but do not regret the marriage. That would negate all the good times you had together.

Kids: Personally, I never wanted kids and neither did my oldest brother. The "middle" brother wanted them, and has a wonderful daughter. It depends on the person. You cannot make a blanket statement that you should not have them.

Just one man's opinion.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Biggest problem with that scenario is that we all get old and eventually you want someone to be able and, more importantly, willing to take care of you or at least come visit you in your retirement home. I don't have kids yet, but I worry about this scenario after having seen my grandmother fade away. I can't image having to go through all of that without someone who cared about you around. Sure, with no kids or wife, you could get rich and pay someone to take care of you, but it isn't the same. They'd just as likely end up taking advantage of you.

Anyway, there's 2 cents from an unmarried kidless guy. Damn I'm getting old.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nicotunes,Feb 8 2007, 11:25 AM
Marriage: I agree with Kyras in BC's thread (I am adding my own spin to it): There is no need to regret getting married even if you split. It was the right thing to do at the time....if you change direction in life, that may be unfortunate and even painful, but do not regret the marriage. That would negate all the good times you had together.

Kids: Personally, I never wanted kids and neither did my oldest brother. The "middle" brother wanted them, and has a wonderful daughter. It depends on the person. You cannot make a blanket statement that you should not have them.

Just one man's opinion.
completely agreed.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like Stuie is getting cold feet already
Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 AM

It's pretty common for people to believe that their personal experience applies to everyone.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 AM

will type out an paper for you in a moment.

Quick Reply: To those about to get married